Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
they stink and are just placeholders until Panos' Surface Phone is released.

Here is something I do not understand: why do we think the Surface Phone is going to be the Holy Grail that redeems Windows Phone? From my experience, and from what I'm reading, it seems that the current problem with WP in general is not so much hardware as it is software and ecosystem.

By the time the Surface Phone is released, W10M should have a lot of its present bugs worked out, with hopefully a better ecosystem around it. These shortcomings are the current problem with the 950/XL as well (for the most part). When the Surface Phone is released, the 950/XL will have these same benefits. They'll be running the same OS, and I doubt the Surface Phone will have significantly better hardware. If better hardware is available by then, there will likely be an update to the 950/XL, but the 950XL has as good of hardware as is available on any phone at the moment.

In a nutshell, my question is this: what will the Surface Phone offer that the 950/XL (or their replacements) will not?

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Here is something I do not understand: why do we think the Surface Phone is going to be the Holy Grail that redeems Windows Phone? From my experience, and from what I'm reading, it seems that the current problem with WP in general is not so much hardware as it is software and ecosystem.

By the time the Surface Phone is released, W10M should have a lot of its present bugs worked out, with hopefully a better ecosystem around it. These shortcomings are the current problem with the 950/XL as well (for the most part). When the Surface Phone is released, the 950/XL will have these same benefits. They'll be running the same OS, and I doubt the Surface Phone will have significantly better hardware. If better hardware is available by then, there will likely be an update to the 950/XL, but the 950XL has as good of hardware as is available on any phone at the moment.

In a nutshell, my question is this: what will the Surface Phone offer that the 950/XL (or their replacements) will not?

Hmmm, it won't take much honestly, I see my 1520 as more of a "Flagship" phone still compared to the 950XL... But I see the Surface Phone being a Note 5 type of phone except with 5.9" display with front being practically all display keeping it small as the 950XL yet smaller then the Note 5 or iPhone Plus , keep SD Card capabilities, 4gb memory, super quick charging "both" C usb & wirelessly, a stylus pen, a non-suspect processor, a REAL Flagship case not a creaky cheap looking and feeling back cover with quality buttons and a finished/polished Win 10 OS..
Now that's a "Flagship" phone that has a chance of tempting iPhone and Android fanboys away, the 950XL can't even temp WP users like myself away from my 1520!!!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Now that's a "Flagship" phone that has a chance of tempting iPhone and Android fanboys away, the 950XL can't even temp WP users like myself away from my 1520!!!

No hardware will tempt iPhone and Android fanboys with W10M and the ecosystem in its current state. That's my point: hardware is not the issue; it's software.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
No hardware will tempt iPhone and Android fanboys with W10M and the ecosystem in its current state. That's my point: hardware is not the issue; it's software.

True, the current software won't tempt anyone away from any OS including Win 8.1 users BUT the 950XL is such a disappointment hardware wise after all the "New Flagship" MS touted pre-launch, I truly believe a lot of the complaints being lodged about heating up and shutdowns will be attributed to the processor which was known for these issues, the liquid cooling MS added doesn't seem to working for all phones.. The 950XL is just a souped up 640XL, heck the 640XL has a better case/back cover and buttons..

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
buddy I'm not going to argue with someone who's overboard with his demands for "perfection" for a premium device and starts looking it over with all sorts of led lights and magnifying glasses or WHATEVER you wanna do that helps you feel justified and sleep better at night... point is your going over board with YOUR QC... I've bought more expensive devices and never went over board demanding "perfection" of course any normal persons wouldn't accept bad and OBVIOUS defects... anyways this is the last I reply to this and not going to get into a tennis match with you over this... good luck to you.

It's not overboard at all neither is it demanding perfection. It's wanting to get what you're paying for. A normal person would want that. The OS is already crappy and so is the hardware? How is paying for the price they're asking for justified then? If you actually lived in a country wherein you need to pay for the full price up front you'd want the best. Crappy store policies here isn't helping as well. No matter how small, obvious or not, a defect is still a defect.

It's more alarming if it isn't obvious and the company is denying it. You're telling me seven consecutive units still isn't something to be concerned about? Devices at lower prices points with better quality and doesn't have the same issues? That isn't alarming to you? If you're actually happy with Microsoft giving you crap and denying issues behind your back then go ahead, you're the one who needs luck in that case. But never call out someone who actually values the money involved and values the platform.

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
You are right. Unfortunately MS put out these weak 950s as flagships and as noted up and down in this thread, they stink and are just placeholders until Panos' Surface Phone is released. That coupled with the half baked garbage that is W10 Mobile has the base (all 1.7%) upset and the reviewer community slamming MS.
Androiders or iOSers in any significant numbers would never switch for a 950 or crappy W10M, undeniable

That's hoping that the unicorn Surface Phone would actually be released. With the mediocre mistakes made with Windows 10 Mobile, it's actually better if they just let the platform die. At least they wouldn't need to hide the fact that the sales of these placeholders are for the R&D of services to the other platforms.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
With all the criticism of the 950, I'm enjoying mine. I don't see it as a failure in the hardware department. However, Windows 10 Mobile does have some room for improvement. That said, I don't think it's deficiencies out way the annoyances I find with Android. Just an opinion, but I'm sure many would agree.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
With all the criticism of the 950, I'm enjoying mine. I don't see it as a failure in the hardware department. However, Windows 10 Mobile does have some room for improvement. That said, I don't think it's deficiencies out way the annoyances I find with Android. Just an opinion, but I'm sure many would agree.

If 1,000,000 people agreed and posted exactly your post, it wouldn't matter. It's vogue to trash the 950XL, and to do it combining a declaration that everybody that works at Microsoft is incompetent. (And I'm being polite. lol)

By the way, there is a report out that 1,000,000 people ARE running W10M on their smartphones. I guess I'm almost a 1 in a million satisfied customer. :)
I rolled one of my 1520's back to 8.1 to keep a legitimate A\B comparison around for my job. But I honestly prefer W10M on the 1520 and 640.
And while I admit that both of my 1520's are still my emotionally favorite smartphones of all time, the 950XL is just a more advanced better performing device. Not as sexy, but more powerful.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I think by the time someone is that frustrated to rant, he had spent a considerable amount of time trying to tweak the product. There may be some great handsets available, but there are also defective ones. The problem is when a user struggles to support a big underdog and that underdog does not deliver, it pushes the users away.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
True, the current software won't tempt anyone away from any OS including Win 8.1 users BUT the 950XL is such a disappointment hardware wise after all the "New Flagship" MS touted pre-launch, I truly believe a lot of the complaints being lodged about heating up and shutdowns will be attributed to the processor which was known for these issues, the liquid cooling MS added doesn't seem to working for all phones.. The 950XL is just a souped up 640XL, heck the 640XL has a better case/back cover and buttons..

I don't have a 950XL, but from what I'm reading about it, it appears to me that the software is making the hardware look bad. There are Android flagships with pretty much the same specs as the 950XL, and they don't seem to be suffering the same problems nearly as much. A lot of the 950XL's reported issues can be pointed back to the OS and/or apps (freezing, rebooting, overheating, battery drain). Put Android on it, and I think you'd find that the hardware is just fine.

Let's get W10M matured and get a solid ecosystem around it, then let's see what we've got. My opinion is that in a year the 950 and 950XL will be top notch devices, hardware included, without any changes to the hardware.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It really could be build problems though with some having no problems and others having infinite problems. I don't really know how to distinguish the two except one can get better and the other never will.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
A lot of the 950XL's reported issues can be pointed back to the OS and/or apps (freezing, rebooting, overheating, battery drain). Put Android on it, and I think you'd find that the hardware is just fine.
Let's get W10M matured and get a solid ecosystem around it, then let's see what we've got. My opinion is that in a year the 950 and 950XL will be top notch devices, hardware included, without any changes to the hardware.

Not so sure, the 950 owners are not reporting the freezing, rebooting, overheating and battery drain that XL owners are complaining about, is it a coincidence the XL is running the Snapdragon 810 which did cause Android phones to overheat and repeat the same issues being reported by XL users?? Why MS would use a processor in their "Flagship" that already had a black eye and not go with a proven reliable unscaved processor is beyond me but then again they skimped on the crappy back cover/case.. Now it was reported by a WC member the Microsoft squares on the XL's cheap back covers fell off and he had to super glue it back on..

Sony Xperia Z5: overheating Snapdragon 810 still an issue?

maloo123

Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
If you have not tried it, I recommend the Device Portal feature on W10M for debugging high CPU/GPU activity. Here's how you activate it and use it: www winbeta org/news/device-portal-sideloading-windows-10-mobile-apps-unveiled.
It is kind of like Task Manager, but for Windows Phone and IOT devices.

Renan Gallardo

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Not so sure, the 950 owners are not reporting the freezing, rebooting, overheating and battery drain that XL owners are complaining about, is it a coincidence the XL is running the Snapdragon 810 which did cause Android phones to overheat and repeat the same issues being reported by XL users?? Why MS would use a processor in their "Flagship" that already had a black eye and not go with a proven reliable unscaved processor is beyond me but then again they skimped on the crappy back cover/case.. Now it was reported by a WC member the Microsoft squares on the XL's cheap back covers fell off and he had to super glue it back on..

Sony Xperia Z5: overheating Snapdragon 810 still an issue?

On my end I didn't experience the reported issues relating to software on the 950 XL. Build quality though I where I've been slapped in the face by Microsoft.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Who is in charge of this junk? Seriously!

Ultimately, Satya Nadella is responsible to Microsoft shareholders.

Individual consumers are responsible for making their own informed decisions.

In the end, only you should be in charge of you.

This thread has jumped the shark.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99