Firmware update for Lumia 950/950 XL: 01078.00027.15506.020xx

JdeFalconr

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Nothing for me yet. On .29 and not in the insider program. 950XL on AT&T and home base is the Seattle area but I'm currently travelling in Louisville, KY. Tried updating in both locations.

I really wish Microsoft would get their act together with communicating these updates. They indicate the update will "start rolling out" but provide no expectation of when it will actually become available. The result is lots of people who think something is wrong as days go by and no update is available. Couple that with problems with the previous OS version that had an actual problem with some devices receiving updates and you've got a very annoyed community.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Nothing for me yet. On .29 and not in the insider program. 950XL on AT&T and home base is the Seattle area but I'm currently travelling in Louisville, KY. Tried updating in both locations.

I really wish Microsoft would get their act together with communicating these updates. They indicate the update will "start rolling out" but provide no expectation of when it will actually become available. The result is lots of people who think something is wrong as days go by and no update is available. Couple that with problems with the previous OS version that had an actual problem with some devices receiving updates and you've got a very annoyed community.
We know not in US yet so until someone in US says they have it, just keep waiting.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site

Nothing for me yet either. 10586.29 not on insider program. In the Portland, Oregon area. I check for updates every day!

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Sigh, I am being unreasonably eager to get the .27 firmware. I tried using the Speedify VPN service to appear as if I am in Australia, Germany, Israel, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Singapore and didn't see the firmware update in WDRT regardless of location.

I wonder if it's keying the firmware off of something else. Can folks who've gotten the firmware let over-eager folks like me know what you region settings you have on the computer? on the phone?

Hna

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sigh, I am being unreasonably eager to get the .27 firmware. I tried using the Speedify VPN service to appear as if I am in Australia, Germany, Israel, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Singapore and didn't see the firmware update in WDRT regardless of location.

I wonder if it's keying the firmware off of something else. Can folks who've gotten the firmware let over-eager folks like me know what you region settings you have on the computer? on the phone?

Portugal on PC and Phone.
950 XL Dual Sim unlocked.

I was on .36 with insider and decided to use WDRT to check if the Firmware was there. To my surprise it was.
However, the 506 firmware rolled my device back to the stock W10 firmware the phone was shipped with.
After installing it, I got .29 straight off the bat and had to enlist on Windows Insider to get .36.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath at this point to see the firmware in the US until next year since insider builds won't be out until then. I wonder what all the differences in firmware are though, since some regions have different versions.

muness

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Portugal on PC and Phone.
950 XL Dual Sim unlocked.

Thanks, I tried hard resetting my phone, setting it to Portugal, connecting to a Spanish server on my VPN connection. No luck, still only see the .17 firmware. The phones probably are sold for specific countries and the images WDRT grabs is tied to that is my guess now.

Resetting back to US English now. Best not be flashing a firmware not yet released here anyway. :)

beefydragon

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hi All,

If you are just as fed up with MSFT after all the years of support on their Windows Phone platform, then go to their MicrosoftStore.com website and post your negative reviews on the product page. This is just not acceptable.

Jack

My Review:I am a MSFT supporter and always have been since Windows Phone 7. I was very excited for the release of the new Lumia 950 XL and dropped over $1300 on two for me and the spouse. The base function, such as Cortana working with Hands-Free in my car is a disaster. It would ask if I want to read the incoming Text, but when I acknowledge, it tries to read back but nothings comes up. Their Bluetooth connectivity took a major step back from the old Lumia 830/1520. Apparently they released this phone with bluetooth 3.0 stack. Now Groove Music doesn't playback properly and song lists no longer displays in my car. I am highly discouraged by the lack of support and rapid fix. Remember the TV ad, "Beta Test Is Over?!?" Well, think again.

DCW1000

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
To Hna, post 67 above

Almost exactly my experience as well. Stuck at .29 with no joy on dozens of attempts to access the .36 update, I reset to .0 with WDRT, got the .29 again immediately with no problem, then after re-enrolling in the Insider Program I finally managed to get .36. WDRT did not upgrade my firmware.

My current firmware is 15454.29005; that has been the displayed version every time I have looked in the last three weeks, and it may have been the installed firmware on Nov. 27, the day I picked my 950 XL up from a Microsoft Store in California.

Michael Doyle1

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the 950xl on pre-order from Carphone Warehouse, also purchased 128Gb micro sd card in readiness. Like you, I am with EE in the UK, although via BT Mobile.

Having this re-boot problem when using the sd card, works fine with no card, so am looking forward to firmware release to fix problem so I can finally use the card!

No update as yet, so I decided to chat online with Microsoft engineers yesterday, to ask the question, when will I see the firmware release? Got the usual, have you tried another card, said firmly I wasn't going to spend yet more money on another card only to find the firmware release will/may fix the problem as other users are experiencing the same problem. In the end they said they do not manage the roll out you need to speak to your mobile operator.

So, I have a similar online chat to BT Mobile, their answer, sorry sir, we do not manage the rollout of phone updates, we only provide the sim and network, surprise surprise, another supplier sandwich, with me the filling!

The problem with all this, its a case of management v expectation. Microsoft aren't managing this process very well. When I used to use Apple iPhones, when an update was released you knew about it from Apple and more importantly you saw it when you went to download it, this is not the case with Microsoft, I had to hear about the firmware release form a third party, and now I know its available my expectation levels are, ok so where is it? I don't agree with a view its a worldwide roll out so be patient your turn will come, the user base for the 950 and 950xl is tiny compared to iPhone and Samsung deployment.

I don't really care who is responsible for the roll out, I just want it so I can use the card I purchased long, long ago!

Microsoft and BT Mobile, if you intend to get serious about this business, step up and deliver.

marcox92

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
The only way for insider on .36 to get that update is to use Windows device recovery tool .
The update is in the Rom proposed by the tool
After that turn on on insiders
and preview builds the arrive! its a long job and on my side useless at all because all bugs are the same nothing new and WiFi is worse!

Please Microsoft a little help for those who spent 700 euros just to have a big image on screen and use an other phone to call friends!

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The only way for insider on .36 to get that update is to use Windows device recovery tool .
The update is in the Rom proposed by the tool
After that turn on on insiders
and preview builds the arrive! its a long job and on my side useless at all because all bugs are the same nothing new and WiFi is worse!

Please Microsoft a little help for those who spent 700 euros just to have a big image on screen and use an other phone to call friends!

Sure you need the firmware update to get .36 os update via insider? I ask, as my dual sim 950 XL has .36 with no firmware update. I did have to reset with the device recovery tool to get back to .29 non-insider (actual release) before I could get insider to see .36 though.. Still no firmware update for me.

Roland Hofmann

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I am in Austria, on .36 dont see the update on my 950 DS unlocked. To get on .36 from original shipment .19 I had to uninstall Windows Insider and install again but switch to slow ring. Tried this again now to get new firnmware but did not work :(

Roland Hofmann

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I have searched through all the comments on articles about this update - It appears people on insider build .36 (anywhere in the world) are not receiving this update. Can anyone out there confirm they are getting this update whilst being on .36 Insider Build?
I am on .36 via Insider on a 950 DS in Austria (T-Mobile and One) Just Connected to WDRT and here is the update.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
It's frustrating reading about and update and not receiving one, I have seen several updates announced and Never received them. I seen where tools are suggested, but the first time I used the tool on the PC I wound up having to reload Windows 7 on the computer and rebuild from there. That's a lot of wasted hours that I could have used. The 950 XL I have is still on the old firmware, I check for updates, sometimes twice a day, but haven't seen the new firmware yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism