Usb c compatibility of 950xl

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm starting to get a bit worried. I've got a new 950xl and got the free display dock offer. That means I have a total of 2 wall chargers a usb c to usb c cable and a usb c to a cable. These all work fine and charge the phone up pretty quick.

I like to have a number of cables about, my car, my surface bag, a few spares so I'm not hunting around for one, so I bought a few off eBay. Now with my recent experience of getting crappy micro usb cable that take an age to charge I thought I'd order a few different cables from a few different suppliers, thinking I'll get an idea of the good and bad ones. I've currently got 2 usb a to c cables and 2 micro USB to usb c adapters.

The thing is, none of them work. Only one does anything at all, my green one, plugs in and the phone looks like it's charging but continuously chimes (or vibrates if it's on silent) anyone had this or knows what it means?

The other 3 connectors don't do anything, no response when plugged in to either a computer or usb charger.

Am I just very unlucky or does the 950xl needs some sort of special usb c cable? I can accept one cable being dodgy but all 4? Either I'm missing something or my Lumia has a funny port (all Microsoft cables work fine, though).

I've already sent one cable back but I'm starting to think it's me!

Anyone else had a usb issue like this?

DrAP

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It could be you're buying low-powered USB Type-C cables that can't handle what the Lumia 950 XL is asking for. Especially if they're microUSB to USB Type-C. The Lumia 950 XL is USB 3.1 unlike phones like the OnePlus 2 which is essentially microUSB (USB 2.0) except a different shape, meaning the Lumia 950 XL is going to be able to take in a lot more juice or data at a time.

drandyperry

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Does that mean that nothing happens? I'd have thought that even low power cables would do something, some sort of acknowledgement that I'd plugged it in, but nothing. I know it's no guarantee, but one of them stated high current compatible, which is why i bought that one. Should I be going for a reputable brand like Belkin?

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
You don't mention what charging method you are using. The wall charger power rating can make a big difference - I don't use anything that outputs less than 1.5A, but the units I have that put out 750mA do work (they just charge really slowly).

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
First of all, there are a ton of out-of-spec A-to-C cables and adapters out there, so personally I wouldn't buy anything generic.

Secondly, even with my in-spec microUSB A-to-C adapter, there's issues with data. They work fine to charge (slower than a native C charger of course), but Windows (8.1) either gives an error that the device isn't recognized, or that the port requires more power than the device can give. The cable included with the device doesn't do that.

But third and finally, a native USB-C charger can deliver 3A of power, where as with an adapter you're limited to slower charging speeds (officially 1.5A, sometimes 2A).

Last edited:

ForVictori

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I would recommend getting the cables from a known brand like Choetec or Anker. I recently got USB C cable from Choetec and have no problem using it to charge my 950XL so far.

Edit: Here are some pictures of the charger and USB-C cable from Choetech.WP_20151224_17_13_14_Pro.jpgWP_20151224_17_11_06_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
First of all, there are a ton of out-of-spec A-to-C cables and adapters out there, so personally I wouldn't buy anything generic.

This is sound advice. I bought an off-brand charger for an iProduct and not only did it not charge fast enough to allow you to use the device, it made the tire pressure light go off in my car. Every single time I used it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)