01-08-2016 06:50 AM
157 12345 ...
tools
    So, here's the thing. Many tech bloggers are Apple-oriented. Their bar is 'is it an Apple product?' and if it's isn't, then by definition, it can't be as good. So, if it has features the comparable Apple product doesn't have - those features are stupid and no one should want them.. and if it's missing features the Apple product does have, then clearly, it's not as good.

Windows 10 Mobile phones start off (from their perspective) with two huge failures: it's not iOS and it doesn't have the ecosystem iOS devices have. To put that in perspective though - keep in mind that this is a moving goalpost game they play. When Android was starting out, first it was 'yeah - but they don't have as many apps'. When Android pretty much caught up in apps, it became 'yeah - but our apps are better'... and as Android apps improved, it changed to 'yeah - but they still deliver for iOS first and sometimes only.'

So, short version: unless you trust the writer to be unbiased against Microsoft, take their comments with a big old chunk of salt.

Now, to reality land. As with all platforms, there's good and bad. Windows 10 Mobile finally brings the promise of 'one platform on all systems' close to reality, but the new platform is just that - new. And it's the third OS version in five years. It's hard for developers to keep up with that much churn, especially on such a small market. If Microsoft can settle this down and get Win10 Mobile on as many existing WinPhone devices as possible, that will help.

As for the 950 - it's an interesting phone with a lot of potential. My only warning is - you may have to wait a bit for that potential to become reality. But if you're prepared to stick with it for the long haul, I think it'll turn out to be a good choice.
    FredW and v_emman like this.
    12-27-2015 03:15 AM
    So, here's the thing. Many tech bloggers are Apple-oriented. Their bar is 'is it an Apple product?' and if it's isn't, then by definition, it can't be as good. So, if it has features the comparable Apple product doesn't have - those features are stupid and no one should want them.. and if it's missing features the Apple product does have, then clearly, it's not as good.

Windows 10 Mobile phones start off (from their perspective) with two huge failures: it's not iOS and it doesn't have the ecosystem iOS devices have. To put that in perspective though - keep in mind that this is a moving goalpost game they play. When Android was starting out, first it was 'yeah - but they don't have as many apps'. When Android pretty much caught up in apps, it became 'yeah - but our apps are better'... and as Android apps improved, it changed to 'yeah - but they still deliver for iOS first and sometimes only.'

So, short version: unless you trust the writer to be unbiased against Microsoft, take their comments with a big old chunk of salt.

Now, to reality land. As with all platforms, there's good and bad. Windows 10 Mobile finally brings the promise of 'one platform on all systems' close to reality, but the new platform is just that - new. And it's the third OS version in five years. It's hard for developers to keep up with that much churn, especially on such a small market. If Microsoft can settle this down and get Win10 Mobile on as many existing WinPhone devices as possible, that will help.

As for the 950 - it's an interesting phone with a lot of potential. My only warning is - you may have to wait a bit for that potential to become reality. But if you're prepared to stick with it for the long haul, I think it'll turn out to be a good choice.
    Sounds to me there jealous there is a contender that's doing better! Just an app gap difference is our issue.

My experience is simple people love the features Cortana , continuum , iris scanning etc. It is the app gap stopping them, I do not have an issue, when you see my friends app list we have same as there's.

I can get 5 days battery life proven with pictures in another thread. This is light usage, bt, WiFi on etc.use it properly no crashes and get around 1.5 days!
    12-27-2015 04:04 AM
    when it works its awesome. i just had so much wrong with mine i decided to return it and wait a few months. yes i could have replaced it, i actually was having it replaced because mine was almost a week and still not delivered. finally got delivered same day i called UPS to complain. but before that microsoft told me they would send a replacement but it was out of stock and did not know when they could mail me a new one. i guess the store close to me couldnt make replacements too. so i just returned it.see what happens in a couple months
    12-27-2015 05:02 AM
    several days ago the network (maybe the router) in my office died. no one could connect to internet via his/her desktop pc. then I took out my 950xl and setup the continuum thing. I had 4g cellular data so I could see the internet. I typed my documents and sent them to the boss via e-mail. my colleagues were surprised and asked why I could use my computer as usual. I told them "no, this is a windows phone."
    raycpl, libra89, Strfox and 12 others like this.
    12-27-2015 05:33 AM
    The advantage of using the phone connected to the computer, the computer keyboard can be
    used, rather then the phone's. I can type much faster using the computer keyboard over using
    the phone alone. The same for using the mouse to open the email, and send is much faster then
    just trying to use the phone alone. The time saved can be used for doing something else that may
    also have to be done.
    12-27-2015 08:47 AM
    2 x 950xl and a 950 now in my house and we, all three that is, love them. My youngest boy, austistic, was given a blu win hd lte, also a nice bit of kit.

Whats really annoying about these 4 devices??? 1500 plus on 950/xl, and 50 on Blu, BUT, the 50 one came with earphones, a screen protector and a case!!! Eh????
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 12-27-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: remove inappropriate quote
    12-27-2015 04:46 PM
    The camera is incredible. I'm on a 2 weeks vacation and brought along my Nikon D810. The trip is now coming to an end. I brought my D810 everywhere with me, but only pulled out a handful # of times. Low light capability with 950XL provided night shots that I would need to shoot a few times with my D810 to get it right. Point and shoot with 950XL gave me the results that I could never get from my Nikon in a snappy moment. My wife has iPhone 6 and took similar pictures. 950XL put hers pictures to shame.
    Blacklizted likes this.
    12-27-2015 05:11 PM
    Ha ha it's so funny listening to some of you making excuses for these terrible devices.
    I love windows phone and believe it is the best mobile OS when working. I didn't hesitate to throw my LG G4 to the side as soon as the LUMIA 950 XL became available. But after 6 hard resets and constant bugs here and there within what is now my third week of owning the 950 XL I'm DONE lying to myself and making excuses on the behalf of Microsoft.

Yes the Camera is awesome and yes iris scanner is cool (when it works) but for 470 I expect more!
    The build quality is terrible, I mean it feels nice enough to hold when I pick my 470 phone up I don't expect to hear the plastic creeking. Then there's all the software issues and random reboots etc, I don't care what anyone says windows phone 10 is clearly not ready for prime time and Microsoft should have delayed the launch. This has easily been my worst experience on any platform and has left me resenting the windows phone platform. Thankfully I will be able to receive a full refund!!
    slivy58 likes this.
    12-27-2015 05:25 PM
    Ha ha it's so funny listening to some of you making excuses for these terrible devices.
    I love windows phone and believe it is the best mobile OS when working. I didn't hesitate to throw my LG G4 to the side as soon as the LUMIA 950 XL became available. But after 6 hard resets and constant bugs here and there within what is now my third week of owning the 950 XL I'm DONE lying to myself and making excuses on the behalf of Microsoft.

Yes the Camera is awesome and yes iris scanner is cool (when it works) but for 470 I expect more!
    The build quality is terrible, I mean it feels nice enough to hold when I pick my 470 phone up I don't expect to hear the plastic creeking. Then there's all the software issues and random reboots etc, I don't care what anyone says windows phone 10 is clearly not ready for prime time and Microsoft should have delayed the launch. This has easily been my worst experience on any platform and has left me resenting the windows phone platform. Thankfully I will be able to receive a full refund!!
    And please do move on to your phone of choice. We are sorry you had such a bad experience and we all are thankful yours is a rare case. Please go and enjoy your latest phone that suits you as phones are a personal choice and fully appreciate that WP and W10M is not for you

For many of us this is the right phone that suits our needs.

Life's too short to focus on the negative and you should definitely embrace and spend your precious time on things that bring you joy and happiness. We all understand that for you this isn't WP or W10M and fully respect that.
    12-27-2015 07:00 PM
    And please do move on to your phone of choice. We are sorry you had such a bad experience and we all are thankful yours is a rare case. Please go and enjoy your latest phone that suits you as phones are a personal choice and fully appreciate that WP and W10M is not for you

For many of us this is the right phone that suits our needs.

Life's too short to focus on the negative and you should definitely embrace and spend your precious time on things that bring you joy and happiness. We all understand that for you this isn't WP or W10M and fully respect that.
    I moved back to the 1520 after the train wreck that was the 950xl...and your assessment that these are rare events is ludicrous. It's like when in 2006 when the Xbox 360 RRoD fiasco started that it was a 'rare' event...even as it was reported that over 33% (a conservative estimate) suffered from the condition. Telling longtime fans such as myself and many, many others who have problems that it is rare is downright irresponsible. Especially given that I waited for a very long time to embrace this failure of a launch and was personally and in fact very much affected by way of severe disappointment.
    Last edited by Sunstorming; 12-27-2015 at 09:35 PM.
    slivy58 likes this.
    12-27-2015 09:24 PM
    I moved back to the 1520 after the train wreck that was the 950xl...and your assessment that these are rare events is ludicrous. It's like when in 2006 when the Xbox 360 RRoD fiasco started that it was a 'rare' event...even as it was reported that over 33% (a conservative estimate) suffered from the condition. Telling longtime fans such as myself and many, many others who have problems that it is rare is downright irresponsible. Especially given that I waited for a very long time to embrace this failure of a launch and was personally and in fact very much affected by way of severe disappointment.
    It's awesome that you you have done the necessary research and compared the number of sales to the number of people with issues. Care to share those with us? Less more people make ludicrous assumptions about it being rare.
    Blacklizted and editguy like this.
    12-27-2015 09:50 PM
    Neither of us has the true numbers and I am not diminishing your experience in fact the opposite is true.

The difference between us is I am honouring the OPs request for positive feedback while you are not. There are plenty of negative bashing threads you can spend countless hours and post on where you would be in lune with the OP of those threads.

Please try and be considerate and thoughtful of why the OP started the thread and what was requested.
    editguy and ajj3085 like this.
    12-27-2015 11:45 PM
    This is so my next phone, currently using the lumia 1020. Just checked out the specs of the XL and wow, just what I'm looking for
    12-28-2015 01:48 AM
    *BBJonbo - Your attitude is exactly what's wrong with this community. I fear Microsoft will get into a routine of releasing mediocre hardware/software when it comes to windows phone because people like you will always except it.
    Sunstorming likes this.
    12-28-2015 04:42 AM
    *BBJonbo - Your attitude is exactly what's wrong with this community. I fear Microsoft will get into a routine of releasing mediocre hardware/software when it comes to windows phone because people like you will always except it.
    To be fair, he did point out what the OP was looking for...i.e. Positives. Like he says, and is true, there are plenty of 'train wreck' threads to be fair. This guy was just looking for a little light. Imagine that...
    editguy likes this.
    12-28-2015 04:57 AM
    I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 XL, but I'm worried because I'm reading only bad things about the phone.

Is the Lumia 950 XL the worse phone from Microsoft? or is it only the software?

I need to read something positive about the phone before cancel the order :(
    Congrats!
    To avoid any of the problems make sure you don't go lazy and do the same mistake many have done: to restore from an older backup when setting up the phone for the first time. DON'T!! Set it up as new phone and take your time to download apps. Restoring from another phone's backup is a total mess as it is another hardware profile saved!!
    Also before anything, search for OS updates and let it finish, even if it appears stuck at 0%. It is not stuck. IF you get a low storage warning just tap on Continue, don't Cancel, it will work fine. Updates take time to download and install so have patience. During this, keep your phone plugged in and ignore the fact that is getting hotter than usual, it is normal as it is charging and installing and downloading things.
    don't use any sdcard until you have updated the phone to the latest build and firmware.
    Go and disable background apps you don't need to have running in the background but be careful what you disable, you may broke functionalities for the first party apps if you disable something you should not.
    Use Skype app for now, don't login into Skype inside the Messages app as it is still beta and could drain your battery.
    Windows Hello while it works, it is also a beta for now.
    At data usage setting make sure you do not leave the Allow switch for the phone to use Cellular data when Wifi signal is low.
    For facebook use facebook beta app, it's working ok, and it's much better than the public one.

Well, hope I got it covered as much as I've could...enjoy
    snakebitten and ronaldme like this.
    12-28-2015 08:21 AM
    Congrats!
    To avoid any of the problems make sure you don't go lazy and do the same mistake many have done: to restore from an older backup when setting up the phone for the first time. DON'T!! Set it up as new phone and take your time to download apps. Restoring from another phone's backup is a total mess as it is another hardware profile saved!!
    Also before anything, search for OS updates and let it finish, even if it appears stuck at 0%. It is not stuck. IF you get a low storage warning just tap on Continue, don't Cancel, it will work fine. Updates take time to download and install so have patience. During this, keep your phone plugged in and ignore the fact that is getting hotter than usual, it is normal as it is charging and installing and downloading things.
    don't use any sdcard until you have updated the phone to the latest build and firmware.
    Go and disable background apps you don't need to have running in the background but be careful what you disable, you may broke functionalities for the first party apps if you disable something you should not.
    Use Skype app for now, don't login into Skype inside the Messages app as it is still beta and could drain your battery.
    Windows Hello while it works, it is also a beta for now.
    At data usage setting make sure you do not leave the Allow switch for the phone to use Cellular data when Wifi signal is low.
    For facebook use facebook beta app, it's working ok, and it's much better than the public one.

Well, hope I got it covered as much as I've could...enjoy
    I'm sure this I good advise, but I did everything you are saying not to do, haven't disabled any apps, running Hello, and the only thing I disabled was the NFC feature because I'm not using it. My battery is good enough, and the phone very stable. I might disable Hello to see if that improves battery significantly.
    12-28-2015 08:58 AM
    I've been using my Lumia 950 XL for a few weeks now and I love it. It's quick, takes great photos, browser is much improved and coming from the S6 edge I must say the battery life on the Lumia is amazing. My S6 edge battery would drop to about 30% between 7am-5pm with average use(nothing running in the background). My Lumia is sitting at 70% on the daily by that time with the same use. If you want a phone with one of the best displays on a smart phone, great camera and great battery life I highly recommend the 950 XL. I am also not experiencing the creaking of the case everyone is posting. I've pressed every corner and hear nothing.
    12-28-2015 09:12 AM
    The Good news is that the 950/950XL series smart phones have true flag ship electronics inside them and mark the return of Microsoft making Flagship smart phones after over a year of introducing non competitive smart phones that can take on an Apple iphone or Android Samsung S6. many people who actually bought a 950 or 950 XL say they are light and built nicer than some tech site reviewers say they are
    Babs75 and editguy like this.
    12-28-2015 09:33 AM
    I see nothing wrong with what he said. We have an app for people like Sunstorming, and its called 'Windows Feedback'. Today I sent 5 suggestions. And almost every issue I submitted earlier has been cared for already.

I don't have that creaking noise and I love the polycarbonate back cover, and my battery got better after a week from 15% per hour on idle to 1% per hour. I don't have the latest firmware yet so that should improve my experience as well.

The phone is super light coming from a Lumia 1520 and iPhone 6 Plus. The only thing I don't like about the build is the hole for the microphone in the lower portion of the front glass.
    12-28-2015 09:46 AM
    YOU'RE not helping.
    12-28-2015 09:54 AM
    much better with the update. camera is the best..windows app ecosystem in India is strong so no issues. Had preordered. My wife has a note5 and her battery outlives mine by a bit and note5 also has an emergency mode. Notification centre is handling fine now, was buggy on arrival
    12-28-2015 11:23 AM
    Everything is good here too. The only thing I am waiting for is the panorama feature integrates into the camera app.
    12-28-2015 11:25 AM
    I would have to agree with you too BB. I got my Single slot sim 950 XL a week ago, did the recommended tweaks and hard reset and haven't had a single problem. Though I guess I am not that lazy and haven't worried about the Visual Voicemail, I don't know if it's working or not. Picture taking has been phenomenal, the pone responds blazing fast, and text messaging is working great. I have no real complaints... I have had some quirkyness with some apps, but I figure that is a VERY minor issue something the devs of the app and MS will work out down the road.

SO YES I AM REALLY ENJOYING THE 950XL.

My 85yr father loves his. He never could master the fruit products. Thr negative nancies will be quick to sour this thread no doubt. I get 12+ hours for heavy usage and wished I got more. I am hopeful with new patches the os will improve battery life.

I definitely am hitting some os bugs that are annoying but so far MS has been very quick to fix exceeding my expectations on how fast things can be addressed. I will admit I am now a bit of an MS fan. I have 4 MS Surface Pros, a couple of xbox360s and a couple of MS desktops running W10.

The 950xl is my first WP and since it was W10M thought I would switch platforms. On a whim I bought the Band 2 at the same time. Love the Band 2 so much I bought another one for my DW.

Most of the issues I have read about I personally am not experiencing nor is my dad. I have always found there are more complainers than praisers. Most people not having issues usually don't post. You will also see that there are some posters that only post negative thoughts and make a full time job of it.

I formulate my own opinion and put no weight to posters that never say anything good or help anyone out. Unfortunately that is a lot of the active posters.
    12-28-2015 12:49 PM
    And neither are you Josh... I don't believe BB is hurting this community, I believe he is giving insight to his experience. Which I feel that is what everyone is doing. He is having a great experience and it sounds like you're not. If you want MS to hear your insight on your experience, join the insider club, and if you are already signed up, explain your experience to them there.

YOU'RE not helping.
    12-28-2015 12:53 PM
157 12345 ...