01-08-2016 06:50 AM
157 ... 4567
tools
    That was a very good reply which should instill some confidence in the person asking the question. I see you mentioned that you're having issues with sending picture messages with T-Mobile service. Just thought I'd add in that I bought my Lumia 950 XL from the 5th Avenue store and use T-Mobile service with no issues sending picture messages. Not sure what's the problem but I hope ur issue gets resolved soon.
    12-30-2015 11:25 PM
    Well, most issues seemed to be related to the fact that users restored from and older backup, obviously from another phone model. Yes, some have problems even with the phone set as new/clean. Maybe there are some firmware versions that are simply buggy as hell, otherwise I cannot explain how some are having zero problems and some are having tons of them (except for the OS backup restore reason). Of course there is also a possibility of a defective unit.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-31-2015 03:01 AM
    I went to ZAGG for a screen protector and they have software that allows them to machine cut a screen protector for all phones, including the 950 XL.
    Same can be said for every company that supplies these, unfortunately it's not the companies at fault, the tempered glass just does not stick to the corners very well, it appears the screen is ever so slightly curved on the corners and the hard flat surface of the glass does not work together.
    12-31-2015 06:11 AM
    love mine, better battery than my 920.
    enjoy the phone, feel free to suggest.
    12-31-2015 10:48 AM
    It sounds like I'm a negative nancy by what others have described here. Yep, I have a few issues with my 950XL, However, all the problems being faced with are software/OS related that can be solved by MS rolling firmware updates and OS/App updates to the phones. But I push my phone quite hard so I find issues that I post back to Windows Insider.. which is what that whole program is all about.

I love my 950XL, its hardware! It takes very impressive pictures indeed! Really. Again just issues with quick individual pictures in succession, and the issues of reviewing pictures can take a minute to 'Add the finishing touches...', all software issues.

Recently received my Mozo backplate (black leather), and it's awesome! Looks very sweet now not that I didn't like the look or feel of the stock standard 950XL to begin with, but now it has the same design elements that my Subaru BRZ has!

Friends and family that take hold of my 950XL are blown away by how light it is and how amazing the screen looks - justifiably so.

I really like my 950XL aside from all the issues with the software, that I ensure I submit detailed feedback for and address to those that can actually do something about it... as I've said before, yep there are problems but these are purely software/firmware related a Windows Insider was meant for constructive user feedback to resolve issues. It's still very early days for Win10M - I remember when Win7 came out... it had its own initial issues.

Enjoy your 950 series device... I do
    12-31-2015 11:36 AM
    Well, most issues seemed to be related to the fact that users restored from and older backup, obviously from another phone model. Yes, some have problems even with the phone set as new/clean. Maybe there are some firmware versions that are simply buggy as hell, otherwise I cannot explain how some are having zero problems and some are having tons of them (except for the OS backup restore reason). Of course there is also a possibility of a defective unit.
    Even the OS backup restore doesn't always cause problems. I restored from my old WP8.1 and I have next to no problems with my 950 XL.

-Skippy
    12-31-2015 11:41 AM
    I only need one reason to love any phone, and that is the camera. The optics and the people who made the algorithms for the jpegs produced by this camera is amazing. Its so great that you can't match the JPG even if you edit the RAW file.

[ATTACH
    =CONFIG]119502[/ATTACH]

Btw, this shot is handheld, no tripod.
    Great picture love it...
    12-31-2015 12:57 PM
    I've got the 950, coming from 1020.
    All in all just a great phone. Quick, needed to .29 update, after that all sweet.
    12-31-2015 02:37 PM
    I love my 950XL I will list the best things about it, keep in mind a lot media people are purposely shunning this phone.
    1. Gorgeously designed
    2. Beautiful display, never seen live tiles so vibrant
    3. Iris scanner is near perfect no more unlock passwords!
    4. Absolutely takes the best pictures of any phone I've ever seen. STUNNNNNING pictures!!!!
    5. USB type C, speaks for itself.
    6. Continuum, I think will be what finally propels Windows phone to huge sales numbers, (after the media gives up trying to shun it.)
    7. Battery life is very good.
    9. Up to 1 terabyte SD card (waiting on my 128GB now)
    10. Windows 10 keeps getting better and better.
    11. Alost forgot, the triple flash really make for better pictures
    Gregor Macgregor likes this.
    12-31-2015 03:52 PM
    12-31-2015 04:13 PM
    I love my 950XL I will list the best things about it, keep in mind a lot media people are purposely shunning this phone.
    1. Gorgeously designed
    2. Beautiful display, never seen live tiles so vibrant
    3. Iris scanner is near perfect no more unlock passwords!
    4. Absolutely takes the best pictures of any phone I've ever seen. STUNNNNNING pictures!!!!
    5. USB type C, speaks for itself.
    6. Continuum, I think will be what finally propels Windows phone to huge sales numbers, (after the media gives up trying to shun it.)
    7. Battery life is very good.
    9. Up to 1 terabyte SD card (waiting on my 128GB now)
    10. Windows 10 keeps getting better and better.
    11. Alost forgot, the triple flash really make for better pictures
    *** Facts please no one is shunning the phone not a reputable site at least *** What they are saying negative is facts the OS is Janky and that you would have expected something a little more premium after waiting so long for flagship devices. Lets not do this ignoring stuff its not going to prevent someone from buying if you are just real about it I always give folks the Pro and Cons hopefully they can decide but being one sided whether negative only or positive only doesn't help any newbie trying to come over from either Android or IOS or whatever platform they were on. However I do agree with you on the 11 statements you listed especially the triple flash it does make a world of difference when shooting photos.
    12-31-2015 04:42 PM
    As many have mentioned, the phone is ok but the OS is a nightmare compared to 8.1 in terms of speed, problems, crashes. Let's hope it won't take them forever to fix these issues
    01-01-2016 03:25 PM
    Just ordered the 950XL to replace the 640 as I wanted a bigger screen. Its a late Christmas present to myself.
    I am assuming I am too late to get the free display dock? It says the promotion runs in the uk until 31 January 2016
    01-01-2016 03:44 PM
    Um, I beg to differ a lot of sites aren't even mentioning the 950 and 950XL and this is just one I'm using as an example.

Top 10 Smartphones of 2016 | Top Ten Reviews
    01-05-2016 09:46 AM
    *** Facts please no one is shunning the phone not a reputable site at least *** What they are saying negative is facts the OS is Janky and that you would have expected something a little more premium after waiting so long for flagship devices. Lets not do this ignoring stuff its not going to prevent someone from buying if you are just real about it I always give folks the Pro and Cons hopefully they can decide but being one sided whether negative only or positive only doesn't help any newbie trying to come over from either Android or IOS or whatever platform they were on. However I do agree with you on the 11 statements you listed especially the triple flash it does make a world of difference when shooting photos.
    Um, I beg to differ a lot of sites aren't even mentioning the 950 and 950XL and this is just a few I'm using as an example.

and everything I mentioned is a fact!!!!

Best Smartphones 2016 - Top-Rated Phones on the Market
    The 10 Best Smartphones of 2015 | PCMag.com

01-05-2016 09:51 AM
    Um, I beg to differ a lot of sites aren't even mentioning the 950 and 950XL and this is just a few I'm using as an example.

Again you are privy to your opinion but I stated top sites first off Toms and whatever the random top smartphone site in the first link are do not matter pc mag maybe they are known more for pc then mobile reviews. The top sites like pocketnow, the verge, endgadget, technobuffalo, CNET, Windows central, phonedog, and some others all gave it decent reviews device wise what they all had in common was janky software and with the Newest news from Microsoft themselves we know this is true. I was very specific in saying visit well trafficked sites not Google cell phone reviews and click on the links down down down on page three
    01-05-2016 10:47 AM

Lets see every single link you posted was published On or before November 23 2015.

How could we expect to see the 950/xl on the list when it was not even available yet? LOL

Try harder.
    01-05-2016 11:08 AM
    So many people scramble to be one of the first to buy the latest phone - why then do they complain when they find that not all the issues have been resolved. I think, if they want a problem free phone, they should wait several months before buying a new model until all or most issues have been corrected with updates etc .. Other wise, stop whining and complaining and enjoy being one of the lucky first ...
    mdefran65 likes this.
    01-05-2016 11:09 AM
    Lets see every single link you posted was published On or before November 23 2015.

How could we expect to see the 950/xl on the list when it was not even available yet? LOL

Try harder.
    look again sir. "Top 10 Smartphones of 2016 I emphasize 2016. the media had the opportunity to use these models in Nov. Just because it wasn't out in the US yet doesn't mean it wasn't out yet.

You try harder!

So your saying the media is not generally Bias against Windows Phone really!
    01-05-2016 11:23 AM
    The 950 and 950(XL) came out where first?
    Now I'm bummed! When I walked out of the mall (and I HATE the mall) with my 950XL on the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, I actually thought I had in my hand one of the very first 950(XL)'s released in the whole wide world.

November the 25th, 2015
    1 month and 10 days ago.
    And why does it feel like these phones have been out for MONTHS? :)
    In fact, some folks post things like "now that the 950 has been out for a few months........."
    Or "Microsoft has had MONTHS to fix these issues with the 950............"

We are an entertaining species.
    01-05-2016 12:27 PM
    look again sir. "Top 10 Smartphones of 2016 I emphasize 2016. the media had the opportunity to use these models in Nov. Just because it wasn't out in the US yet doesn't mean it wasn't out yet.

You try harder!

So your saying the media is not generally Bias against Windows Phone really!
    Did you even bother reading any of these articles????

Direct quote from the first one:
    Windows Mobile, recently rebranded by Microsoft from Windows Phone, is the odd platform out. The OS is about to see some extreme revamping thanks to the impending release of Windows 10, and once that happens, it could well be a serious contender in the market. Until that time comes, however, Windows Mobile isn't as functional or reliable as Android or iOS. It takes more time and taps to do anything on a Windows Mobile device, and its app marketplace is dreadfully underwhelming.
    Second article direct quote:
    You may notice that some hot upcoming phones aren't in this chart. We're still waiting to review the new Nexus 5X and 6P from Google, and Microsoft will finally announce some high-end Windows Phones later this fall. We'll add those phones as we review them, if their quality warrants.
    So by their own words they did not have the phones to test because the refer to "impending release" and "later this fall" meaning they have not used it yet.
    Just because the title has "2016" in it does not mean they looked at all phones.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
    nokia4life likes this.
    01-05-2016 03:00 PM
    so far I have had my 950XL for a week and I'm VERY happy with it. I was scared to buy one because of all the problems others were having and reporting but I really liked the size of the phone and style so I bit the bullet and got it! boy am I glad I did! and here's why

1) battery is amazing on this thing as I was so worried about this because of all the complaints others were posting, BUT my L950 XL lasts a day and a half between charging and I have been using it a lot lately (more than my L1520 when I used it) just to give you an example I took it of the wireless charger (love this!) yesterday at around 9:30am and played bejeweled for an hour then checked all my emails made some calls and surfed the net and then connected to my JBL BT speakers and listened to some music while taking a shower (streaming 80's rock on slacker radio LOL) and got dressed and ready for the day and then made some more calls and then hooked up my phone via continuum wirelessly to my TV and then worked on a word document with BT mouse and KB (just for fun to see how continuum works) and then after which started cleaning the house listening to slacker radio again on my JBL BT speakers and then went out to see a client for a computer repair and then got home and did a whole bunch of things nobody is interested in and then today did a bunch of other things with my 950XL and now its only at 50% !!!! to me that just amazing battery time!!! I'm sure I wont have to put it on the charger till midnight and I'm positive I will still have like 20-25% left on the battery!!

2) another cool thing that happened today is I missed a phone call and I didn't know (didn't check my phone) so I fired up my SP3 and low and behold I get a pop up on the side saying I missed a call from such N such number! I was like... what? no way! kool!

3) I LUV LUV LUV having wireless charging! I placed the wireless charger UNDER my glass end table beside my couch via 2 sided tape and it still charges my phone NO PROBLEMS I did the same thing in my bedroom too and that to me is really really cool factor!

4) phone is the perfect size I find, and I thought it would bother me since I was coming from the L1520 and luved the size of the big screen, but the screen is beautiful (after setting the screen to vivid) and very sharp and colorful! very very pretty screen!

5) fast! this phone is super fast and playing games on here is such a joy! the phone doesn't heat up too much while gaming and doing intensive stuff on it at all.

all in all the experience of owning this phone is such a joy! can't wait to see more updates and what MS has in store for this awesome phone!
    01-05-2016 04:14 PM
    Nice review Beman39!
    Just curious.....What country, where did you buy it, and what OS build and firmware do you have?

I too have a really nice performing 950XL. But I suspect that I'm blessed to have a "good one".
    mariusmuntean likes this.
    01-05-2016 04:26 PM
    Nice review Beman39!
    Just curious.....What country, where did you buy it, and what OS build and firmware do you have?

I too have a really nice performing 950XL. But I suspect that I'm blessed to have a "good one".
    I bought it in Michigan (or GF rather) and I'm on OS .36 and have firmware .29005
    01-05-2016 04:41 PM
    Did you even bother reading any of these articles????

Direct quote from the first one:

Second article direct quote:

So by their own words they did not have the phones to test because the refer to "impending release" and "later this fall" meaning they have not used it yet.
    Just because the title has "2016" in it does not mean they looked at all phones.

Reading comprehension is your friend.
    The business award video is just weird. For one no one has associated Blackberry with business for nearly a decade. In my mind the top phones for business, games, photos, etc would just be comparing 950xl/950, iPhone6s/+, Nexus6x/p, and Galaxy/Note every time with specialty phones thrown in for different things...like G4/V10 for photos. Anyway, continuum may be enough to make windows phone win a business award regardless, but that just makes it the Cuba Gooding Jr of cell phones ;-)
    01-05-2016 05:13 PM
157 ... 4567