I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

steve ward1

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
had to do a few updates to get this baby cooking, and now she is, I have to say wow!! As my 9 year old would say.. Awesome.. camera - awesome, screen - awesome, speakers are good, if you adjust equalizer settings, performance - awesome, rapid charge - awesome,easily get a full day use - awesome, 128GB SD storage - awesome, continuum.. will be awesome if fully supported, far more comfortable to hold than the 930. Then there is w10m which is very nice, especially on this device, (after you have done the updates.- same as when you buy a windows pc.)

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
None of these as well. Newer but not newest firmware 15454.29005 and os .29 so again not the newest. Definitely would seem reasonable that this could be either firmware and/or os related.

My 85yr old father has the identical setup and also has none of these issues. He has been using Wp8.x for the past 3-4 years. His old phone is a 520 and he loves his 950xl I bought him for xmas. I have been using mine since Nov 26 and my dad just since Dec 25.

I truly am glad he and I are ones not experiencing such issues but do feel for those that are. My father and I are very fortunate to have the setup we have that doesn't have these issues.

You're lucky. Perhaps the clean installs have better outcomes. Speaking of 85yr old, it was nice to see a guy at AT&T the other day around 65yrs buying the L950. Hope he has good luck with it as well.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Good point. It could very well be the clean install. My dad has his 520 but decided to do a clean install. He and I typically do that on our desktops/laptops so thought to continue this practice with WP. That might be a key reason our experiences are more positive.

g808

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm perfectly happy with my purchase. :) You can read my review at amazonDOTin web site by the name 'Ketan Panchal'. My only major gripe currently is lack of a good twitter app, otherwise it's a beautiful experience switching from Android. :)
You give Tweetium or Tweet It (universal app) a try?

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I got my 950XL on day one and I have zero regrets. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Prior to this I had a 1020 and prior to that a 920.

The OS has some minor bugs but all OSs do. The design may not be as nice as an iPhone but the specs are way better than an iPhone. The camera is amazing. The processor is extremely fast. I think I've seen "resuming..." twice since I got my phone two months ago. The screen is beautiful (better than an iPhone 6S screen). It never gets hot and the battery life is just fine.

I also love Windows 10 Mobile as an OS. Much much better than iOS and much much better than Windows phone 8. Although I will say, I miss being able to slide over to "what's new" when looking at a contact.

The biggest improvements over Windows phone 8 in my opinion are the settings app and the mail and calendar apps. Also of course everything is more polished and refined, especially the start screen. I only wish they had blurred transparency on notifications. That would be cool.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I've voiced my affinity for my 950XL on plenty of threads. So I'll not just be repetitive here.

But I would like to address the reluctance of some folks to recommend or feel openly supportive around family, friends, and colleagues. (as well as strangers) When I'm asked about it, I simply take the stance that "this phone isn't for everybody. In fact, there are few that even know what it is"

I might follow up with a "it isn't likely many folks use their phone for all the purposes that I need this thing for. I'm on the grid 24/7 and might need to manage a Hyper-V server on another continent at a moments notice"

See where I'm going with this? Forget the inferiority complex that the naysayers imply. This thing is the bleeding edge, again, not for the feint of heart.

I will admit that I am eager for the Universal Remote Desktop app. Because at the very moment it is released, nothing I've said above is the slightest exaggeration. Lol

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh, one more thing........

Once Continuum supports touch screen, can you imagine someone getting in your car\truck with a Continuum powered system?

The perfect monitors and Double Din mounting already exists. Custom Car PC l Car PCs and Custom Gaming Computers. Only you don't need the wicked cool computer they build. You just need the monitor and audio out jacks. (to drive your amps & speakers) Your 950 is the head unit!

I'm convinced this much maligned 950XL is actually the pioneer device of a completely new paradigm in "me as the hub". Yep, I've bought in, hook line & sinker.

ryanxvx

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I've owned quite a few Windows Phones (Focus, 900, 920, 930, 1520, and 635).. I preordered the 950XL and have had it for about a month now. I absolutely love this phone. My main complaints are not about the hardware, it's about the software. WP10 is not 100%, yet. I know this and everyone else should as well.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I've owned quite a few Windows Phones (Focus, 900, 920, 930, 1520, and 635).. I preordered the 950XL and have had it for about a month now. I absolutely love this phone. My main complaints are not about the hardware, it's about the software. WP10 is not 100%, yet. I know this and everyone else should as well.

I've started to see many 950 and 950XL owners in Romania feeling ok with these two. Now I do not know if they are previous WP owners or simply new comers.

icsfails

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Marius, add one more 950 owner to your list :)
I also had a HTC WP 8X few years ago, switched to HTC One M7, then M8 but enough android so back to WP

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had 950XL for a week now and probably I will send it back. HW is nearly perfect, battery time is ok, camera is fabulous. Problem is in the software. WP10 is simply not there yet (for me at least). And paying this amount of money, to be beta testing it? No thanks. And another thing: no double tap to wake? I mean come on MS, you can do better than that!

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
It might be an idea to get the 930 (or the phablet alternative) for now until W10 is up to scratch. That way you can update to W10 when it's ready. You have OS choice with the 930, the 950 is restricted to the beta style W10 unfortunately. The 950 seems to be a pretty small update to the 930, hardware-wise, unless you really need to use your phone as a PC alternative via continuum. Personally, I'm waiting for the full 'Surface' phone (or whatever it'll be called) when the bugs have been worked out.

Noel Danso

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I've had the 950Xl for the best part of a month. No reboots. One app crash. Windows Hello works all the time. In my opinion Windows 10 Mobile is better than Windows Phone 8.1.
Some people seem to be having issues. There are many many forum posts detailing their issues.
All I can do is tell you my experience. Almost flawless. Here in the UK the ecosystem is much more fleshed out than people say about the US. Then again the market share is higher.
All in all I love my Lumina 950XL.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
It might be an idea to get the 930 (or the phablet alternative) for now until W10 is up to scratch. That way you can update to W10 when it's ready. You have OS choice with the 930, the 950 is restricted to the beta style W10 unfortunately. The 950 seems to be a pretty small update to the 930, hardware-wise, unless you really need to use your phone as a PC alternative via continuum. Personally, I'm waiting for the full 'Surface' phone (or whatever it'll be called) when the bugs have been worked out.

My thoughts exactly. I will stick to my 930 until WM10 works out.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had the 950Xl for the best part of a month. No reboots. One app crash. Windows Hello works all the time. In my opinion Windows 10 Mobile is better than Windows Phone 8.1.
Some people seem to be having issues. There are many many forum posts detailing their issues.
All I can do is tell you my experience. Almost flawless. Here in the UK the ecosystem is much more fleshed out than people say about the US. Then again the market share is higher.
All in all I love my Lumina 950XL.

I honestly think it's firmware issues, because most of us are running the same OS build but for whatever reason both phones were released with multiple firmwares.

Lorne Tontegode

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I picked up my 950XL on the first day (25th I think) and have had a bit more than a month with it. The only issues that I have had with it so far are occasional Bluetooth disconnects (once or twice a day) that reconnect in about a minute and battery drain that isn't what I would like. I keep it in a charging cradle in my van so it actually hasn't been an issue at all with battery life.

The annoyances have been that the software isn't optimized yet but I was expecting that. I have had nearly every phone type and ALL of them had launch issues and some never got past the launch issues. Things like slow camera launch and photo processing are the big optimization areas that I would like to see fixed but I can wait. Not life altering by any means.

Maybe I got lucky with this phone and don't have the creaking case or random reboots. Maybe the reboots are software issues with other apps that don't play well together. Who knows. Could this phone have a more premium feel to it? Absolutely! Put it beside a Galaxy Edge for a comparison. The new Blackberry Priv has a more premium feel. Still, I wouldn't trade it for any other phone and I know the others well.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Apparently, the Galaxy Edge screens crack very easily due to the curvature. My friend's fairly new Galaxy Edge screen cracked even with a screen protector on it. The crack is slowly spreading. To repair it, he was quoted in excess of $200 (although there are some sketchy craigslists adds for $85 lol). He's pretty much fed up with the Edge and is switching phones (he doesn't even use the Edge feature because its so tiny and basically useless). All phones have problems - its just we think the grass is always greener on the other side.

I have the 950 XL and I do notice battery drain when I am using it a lot (a bit more than my prior Lumias). However, it seems to keep charge well when its just idle or light usage. I have previously carried a portable battery with me anyway, so it doesn't really bother me. Seems like you need to carry a battery with you regardless of which smartphone you have if you want guaranteed all-day power. My friends' Androids and iPhones run out of power too and they have to borrow my charger.

But one thing all my friends know, my Lumia takes the best pictures. They always make me use my phone when taking pics.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss