I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 XL, but I'm worried because I'm reading only bad things about the phone.

Is the Lumia 950 XL the worse phone from Microsoft? or is it only the software?

I need to read something positive about the phone before cancel the order :(

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Neither. The negative nancies always post far more. I have read a number of positive posts. On mobile nations sites there will always be far more negative than positive. The os has warts like all oses and MS is doing a good job of addressing them quickly IMHO. Hardware wise I have no complaints about my 950xl. Battery could be better but not terrible. Rarely heats up but does on big downloads but not too hot. Camera is awesome.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Neither. The negative nancies always post far more. I have read a number of positive posts. On mobile nations sites there will always be far more negative than positive. The os has warts like all oses and MS is doing a good job of addressing them quickly IMHO. Hardware wise I have no complaints about my 950xl. Battery could be better but not terrible. Rarely heats up but does on big downloads but not too hot. Camera is awesome.

Thanks, that's what I need to read, I can't recommend the phone to my family or friends if the phone is garbage like some people are implying on recent posts.

I would like to read to people that are happy with their phones and why are they happy.

Tom Campbell2

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I bought my duel sim unlocked 950 XL at a Windows Insider event at the 5th Ave store in New York City roughly two weeks ago.

I have had very few problems with it. I did reset is once (edit: twice) because I was having problems with Text messages on T-Mobile. Actually, I do still have an issue sending pictures/video via text, but I firmly believe this is an issue with T-Mobile.

I have taken pictures, and while I'm am no photographer, I am happy with the pictures. I've never gotten an error message taking photos.

I have taken video in 4K, HD and HD slow motion... no errors, no problems.

I have four email addresses connected (outlook, Hotmail, exchange and O365). My calendaring, people and inbox apps all work fine.

I have Amazon, American Express, Amtrak, Authenticator, Blam!, eTrade, eBay, FlightAware, IHeartRadio, LinkedIn, MyRadar, Netflix, Network Speed Test, Office 365 Admin, Office Lens, OneDrive, PayPal, PDF Reader, Remote Desktop, SkyMap (Free) Skype, Skype for Business, Skype Qik, Telescope, Translator, Twitter, USAA, Waze, Xbox One Smartglass Beta and Xim installed and working fine.

The only app I've run into that doesn't work properly is Insteon Hub. They haven't fixed it yet.

I am in the Windows Insiders program and do have the latest build installed 10.0.10586.36, but I must admit, I did have to reset to install this. I'm pretty sure they fixed the issue and if I had waited, I would not have needed to reset.

I've used Continuum, and I like it very much, although I don't have a great need for it.

I haven't noticed any "Loading" or "Resuming" dialogs that some people have occasionally complained about.

Cortana works great! She always answers me. I get in my car, the phone connects, no problem. I say "Hey Cortana, give me directions to X" and she does. I say "Hey Cortana, remind me to get Milk next time I am at Shoprite" and it works. Saved my bacon a few times.

To be honest with you I really like this phone. It's a nice size, it charges wirelessly, the screen looks great and I have been pleased with both the operating system and the software I've installed.

I will admit, I like Microsoft products in general, so I wouldn't consider this an un-biased opinion, but my brother has and iPhone 6s and I wouldn't buy that thing. The home screen and lack of a back button drives me nuts. I like the Live Tiles much better, but I do recognize that it's a matter of what you are used to and what eco-system you are using (gmail vs outlook).

I really don't understand these negative reviews I've read. I haven't experienced most of the ones described. I always have to wonder if it's a PEBKAC problem (problem exists between keyboard and chair).

Last edited:

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
My 85yr father loves his. He never could master the fruit products. Thr negative nancies will be quick to sour this thread no doubt. I get 12+ hours for heavy usage and wished I got more. I am hopeful with new patches the os will improve battery life.

I definitely am hitting some os bugs that are annoying but so far MS has been very quick to fix exceeding my expectations on how fast things can be addressed. I will admit I am now a bit of an MS fan. I have 4 MS Surface Pros, a couple of xbox360s and a couple of MS desktops running W10.

The 950xl is my first WP and since it was W10M thought I would switch platforms. On a whim I bought the Band 2 at the same time. Love the Band 2 so much I bought another one for my DW.

Most of the issues I have read about I personally am not experiencing nor is my dad. I have always found there are more complainers than praisers. Most people not having issues usually don't post. You will also see that there are some posters that only post negative thoughts and make a full time job of it.

I formulate my own opinion and put no weight to posters that never say anything good or help anyone out. Unfortunately that is a lot of the active posters.

Last edited:

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
My phone arrived last week and I though 'oh no' what have I bought.
It kept crashing, blank screens, buggy!
Then on day three an update appeared and since then it's been spot on, can't fault it.
There's some issues this early finding decent made tempered glass protectors but I'm sure a decent company will appear soon enough.
Tommorow I get a leather rear back for mine as a pressie, I'd be happy to tell you if it's an improvement over the slightly squeaky standard white rear case.

If you like Windows phones like me, I'm upgrading from an 8.1 Lumia 930, then you'll enjoy this big screened but light phone, btw it's lighter than my 930.

Simon

RicKaysen

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
In the very short time I owned mine, I never experienced any of the issues that have plagued those who are complaining on other threads. Hopefully, you'll have a bug free device as well. Obviously, there were reasons I returned mine and they include the app gap and a generally cheap feel neither of which I could tolerate in a $700 phone.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I should have mentioned that Cortana is not working at all for me. Neither text nor voice input. I am in Canada and looks like a number of folks have the same issue. Haven't heard a single Canadian who has Cortana working on W10M. Maybe all of us are affected. I am sure MS will sort this out eventually.

Based on tons of newly released apps and a number if big named apps coming to W10 I am very hopeful that the app gap will continue to narrow. I am a believer of UWP and strongly believe MS has a unique offering that will interest most developers. It is surprising to see how many new releases there are since W10M was released.

Many folks don't see the value on Continuum but was one of the reasons I switched. Having a phone that can also work as my mobile PC and avoid having to carry my Surface Pro is priceless.

Personally I believe things will only improve and WaaS makes so much sense as does Continuum and UWP that I think you will see more and more support for the MS ecosystem.

Lorne Tontegode

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
I am in Canada and am running Cortana. You just have to set it for US languages, region, etc. It doesn't compromise anything that I do with the phone and since there are very few spelling differences from the US to Canada, I have no issues.

And BTW, I am in absolute love with this phone. I like it more than my 1020 which I had and loved.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I love mine as well. Only issue I have is on the tempered glass protectors. I had a htc one m8, pictures are sooooo much better. I love it!!

Tom Campbell2

Nov 28, 2015
Visit site
I forgot to add one thing in...

The reason I spent the money to get this phone was simple. I needed to be able to record calls for work. I own a 640 that I had Windows 10 Mobile on and it was great. I was happy with everything about it except for the fact that it didn't have wireless charging and it could not record calls.

I used to use the recording feature in Windows Mobile 6.5 (I think... it's been quite a while) and I really liked it. Right now I need to be able to record calls. When I saw that the 950 and the 950 XL could do that, I knew I was going to purchase on.

The only complaint I have now is that I can't set it and forget it. I have to hit record on each call, but I can live with that.

nomadph

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I am fortunate to not find any hardware issues other than the back cover. But I think if they made it any thicker it would be a little heavier. Nothing a third party provider can't fix. I love the weight and often check if I still have the device in my pocket. I was a little disappointed with 3rd party application support coming from the other two popular mobile ecosystems. But that doesn't affect my opinion on the hardware. I'm in it for the long game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)