I need to read something good about the L950XL... please?

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I moved back to the 1520 after the train wreck that was the 950xl...and your assessment that these are rare events is ludicrous. It's like when in 2006 when the Xbox 360 RRoD fiasco started that it was a 'rare' event...even as it was reported that over 33% (a conservative estimate) suffered from the condition. Telling longtime fans such as myself and many, many others who have problems that it is rare is downright irresponsible. Especially given that I waited for a very long time to embrace this failure of a launch and was personally and in fact very much affected by way of severe disappointment.

It's awesome that you you have done the necessary research and compared the number of sales to the number of people with issues. Care to share those with us? Less more people make ludicrous assumptions about it being rare.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I moved back to the 1520 after the train wreck that was the 950xl...and your assessment that these are rare events is ludicrous. It's like when in 2006 when the Xbox 360 RRoD fiasco started that it was a 'rare' event...even as it was reported that over 33% (a conservative estimate) suffered from the condition. Telling longtime fans such as myself and many, many others who have problems that it is rare is downright irresponsible. Especially given that I waited for a very long time to embrace this failure of a launch and was personally and in fact very much affected by way of severe disappointment.

Neither of us has the true numbers and I am not diminishing your experience in fact the opposite is true.

The difference between us is I am honouring the OPs request for positive feedback while you are not. There are plenty of negative bashing threads you can spend countless hours and post on where you would be in lune with the OP of those threads.

Please try and be considerate and thoughtful of why the OP started the thread and what was requested.

Blaizers

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
This is so my next phone, currently using the lumia 1020. Just checked out the specs of the XL and wow, just what I'm looking for

cg86

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
*BBJonbo - Your attitude is exactly what's wrong with this community. I fear Microsoft will get into a routine of releasing mediocre hardware/software when it comes to windows phone because people like you will always except it.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
*BBJonbo - Your attitude is exactly what's wrong with this community. I fear Microsoft will get into a routine of releasing mediocre hardware/software when it comes to windows phone because people like you will always except it.
To be fair, he did point out what the OP was looking for...i.e. Positives. Like he says, and is true, there are plenty of 'train wreck' threads to be fair. This guy was just looking for a little light. Imagine that...

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm waiting for my Lumia 950 XL, but I'm worried because I'm reading only bad things about the phone.

Is the Lumia 950 XL the worse phone from Microsoft? or is it only the software?

I need to read something positive about the phone before cancel the order :(

Congrats!
To avoid any of the problems make sure you don't go lazy and do the same mistake many have done: to restore from an older backup when setting up the phone for the first time. DON'T!! Set it up as new phone and take your time to download apps. Restoring from another phone's backup is a total mess as it is another hardware profile saved!!
Also before anything, search for OS updates and let it finish, even if it appears stuck at 0%. It is not stuck. IF you get a low storage warning just tap on Continue, don't Cancel, it will work fine. Updates take time to download and install so have patience. During this, keep your phone plugged in and ignore the fact that is getting hotter than usual, it is normal as it is charging and installing and downloading things.
don't use any sdcard until you have updated the phone to the latest build and firmware.
Go and disable background apps you don't need to have running in the background but be careful what you disable, you may broke functionalities for the first party apps if you disable something you should not.
Use Skype app for now, don't login into Skype inside the Messages app as it is still beta and could drain your battery.
Windows Hello while it works, it is also a beta for now.
At data usage setting make sure you do not leave the Allow switch for the phone to use Cellular data when Wifi signal is low.
For facebook use facebook beta app, it's working ok, and it's much better than the public one.

Well, hope I got it covered as much as I've could...enjoy

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Congrats!
To avoid any of the problems make sure you don't go lazy and do the same mistake many have done: to restore from an older backup when setting up the phone for the first time. DON'T!! Set it up as new phone and take your time to download apps. Restoring from another phone's backup is a total mess as it is another hardware profile saved!!
Also before anything, search for OS updates and let it finish, even if it appears stuck at 0%. It is not stuck. IF you get a low storage warning just tap on Continue, don't Cancel, it will work fine. Updates take time to download and install so have patience. During this, keep your phone plugged in and ignore the fact that is getting hotter than usual, it is normal as it is charging and installing and downloading things.
don't use any sdcard until you have updated the phone to the latest build and firmware.
Go and disable background apps you don't need to have running in the background but be careful what you disable, you may broke functionalities for the first party apps if you disable something you should not.
Use Skype app for now, don't login into Skype inside the Messages app as it is still beta and could drain your battery.
Windows Hello while it works, it is also a beta for now.
At data usage setting make sure you do not leave the Allow switch for the phone to use Cellular data when Wifi signal is low.
For facebook use facebook beta app, it's working ok, and it's much better than the public one.

Well, hope I got it covered as much as I've could...enjoy

I'm sure this I good advise, but I did everything you are saying not to do, haven't disabled any apps, running Hello, and the only thing I disabled was the NFC feature because I'm not using it. My battery is good enough, and the phone very stable. I might disable Hello to see if that improves battery significantly.

VoynaZ

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I've been using my Lumia 950 XL for a few weeks now and I love it. It's quick, takes great photos, browser is much improved and coming from the S6 edge I must say the battery life on the Lumia is amazing. My S6 edge battery would drop to about 30% between 7am-5pm with average use(nothing running in the background). My Lumia is sitting at 70% on the daily by that time with the same use. If you want a phone with one of the best displays on a smart phone, great camera and great battery life I highly recommend the 950 XL. I am also not experiencing the creaking of the case everyone is posting. I've pressed every corner and hear nothing.

Gregory Newman

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
The Good news is that the 950/950XL series smart phones have true flag ship electronics inside them and mark the return of Microsoft making Flagship smart phones after over a year of introducing non competitive smart phones that can take on an Apple iphone or Android Samsung S6. many people who actually bought a 950 or 950 XL say they are light and built nicer than some tech site reviewers say they are

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

I see nothing wrong with what he said. We have an app for people like Sunstorming, and its called 'Windows Feedback'. Today I sent 5 suggestions. And almost every issue I submitted earlier has been cared for already.

I don't have that creaking noise and I love the polycarbonate back cover, and my battery got better after a week from 15% per hour on idle to 1% per hour. I don't have the latest firmware yet so that should improve my experience as well.

The phone is super light coming from a Lumia 1520 and iPhone 6 Plus. The only thing I don't like about the build is the hole for the microphone in the lower portion of the front glass.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

YOU'RE not helping.

Saptorshi Majumdar

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
much better with the update. camera is the best..windows app ecosystem in India is strong so no issues. Had preordered. My wife has a note5 and her battery outlives mine by a bit and note5 also has an emergency mode. Notification centre is handling fine now, was buggy on arrival

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I would have to agree with you too BB. I got my Single slot sim 950 XL a week ago, did the recommended tweaks and hard reset and haven't had a single problem. Though I guess I am not that lazy and haven't worried about the Visual Voicemail, I don't know if it's working or not. Picture taking has been phenomenal, the pone responds blazing fast, and text messaging is working great. I have no real complaints... I have had some quirkyness with some apps, but I figure that is a VERY minor issue something the devs of the app and MS will work out down the road.

SO YES I AM REALLY ENJOYING THE 950XL.

My 85yr father loves his. He never could master the fruit products. Thr negative nancies will be quick to sour this thread no doubt. I get 12+ hours for heavy usage and wished I got more. I am hopeful with new patches the os will improve battery life.

I definitely am hitting some os bugs that are annoying but so far MS has been very quick to fix exceeding my expectations on how fast things can be addressed. I will admit I am now a bit of an MS fan. I have 4 MS Surface Pros, a couple of xbox360s and a couple of MS desktops running W10.

The 950xl is my first WP and since it was W10M thought I would switch platforms. On a whim I bought the Band 2 at the same time. Love the Band 2 so much I bought another one for my DW.

Most of the issues I have read about I personally am not experiencing nor is my dad. I have always found there are more complainers than praisers. Most people not having issues usually don't post. You will also see that there are some posters that only post negative thoughts and make a full time job of it.

I formulate my own opinion and put no weight to posters that never say anything good or help anyone out. Unfortunately that is a lot of the active posters.

Jaime Salas

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
And neither are you Josh... I don't believe BB is hurting this community, I believe he is giving insight to his experience. Which I feel that is what everyone is doing. He is having a great experience and it sounds like you're not. If you want MS to hear your insight on your experience, join the insider club, and if you are already signed up, explain your experience to them there.

YOU'RE not helping.

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
And neither are you Josh... I don't believe BB is hurting this community, I believe he is giving insight to his experience. Which I feel that is what everyone is doing. He is having a great experience and it sounds like you're not. If you want MS to hear your insight on your experience, join the insider club, and if you are already signed up, explain your experience to them there.

I think you're confused.

I wasn't replying to "BB" and my experience with my 950 has been great, I'm not experiencing any of the issues that others are reporting. I'm also in the Insider program, a developer and I've been testing Windows 10 and the versions before it on multiple devices for some time.

BBJonbo

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I am definitely having a great experience but not perfect but wasn't expecting it as no smart phone is perfect and bug free. I don't find the phone inferior at all and am not accepting of junk. It is my personal opinion that the 950xl is an exceptional phone and understand that others may not feel the same which is their prerogative which I take no exception to.

I love the light weight polycarbonate back and like others have found the creaks to stop over time. I truly love the speed of the camera and amazing photos and videos it takes. On boxing day I was with some techno friends one with an iPhone 6s the other with a Samsung S6 Edge and they were blown away by the photos and video I took. We then started a bit if a contest shooting in different lighting and conditions and they continued to be very impressed. In many cases we all thought that the 950xl was the best and all agreed overall it was. Definitely all 3 phones have solid cameras and sw and I would take any of the 3. I was just pleased my 950xl competed well and am totally satisfied with the phone camera. I would love to have panorama option but suspect that will come in a later sw update.

As I have stated the phone is not perfect and it has even frozen a couple of times. I definitely am not lazy and wont accept garbage or poor quality. MS does still have a lot of work ahead to fix bugs and complete the os and I am not making excuses for them. I however am a believer they will do just that and am willing to give them time.

That being said, I fully understand there has been a lot of turmoil and change for WP over the past many years and just have recently joined the fold. So I can fully appreciate that long term WP advocates may no longer be as tolerant due to what seems to have been a very tumultuous time getting to this point. Being new to WP I personally am willing to give MS some leeway to address the issue but also understand those that may feel enough is enough.

The primary reason I finally bought a WP is that I am a big believer of the WaaS and UWP along with Continuum. I thought the 950xl would fit in perfectly with my 2 xbox 360s and 4 x Surface Pros and it has.

I recently purchased the foldable keyboard and with Teamviewer I can now use continuum and leave my Surface Pro at home. For me personally I have found the 950xl to be more than enough to be my support device when I am on call and like the fact my phone can do everything I need without the need to have to carry a bulkier device.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I need to read, I can't recommend the phone to my family or friends if the phone is garbage like some people are implying on recent posts.

I would like to read to people that are happy with their phones and why are they happy.

Please don't recommend the phone to anyone yet. Wait until some of the major bugs are fixed so that when you do recommend it, they will have a better experience. Everything about the phone is nice, except for those bugs that make usability terrible - constant reboots, battery drains and BT disconnects. I've been using Windows Mobile/Phone since 2000 or something, so I don't say take this lightly. Hopefully you'll have a better experience - do a clean setup, it might help. Good luck.

Paolo Cardelli

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Please don't recommend the phone to anyone yet. Wait until some of the major bugs are fixed so that when you do recommend it, they will have a better experience. Everything about the phone is nice, except for those bugs that make usability terrible - constant reboots, battery drains and BT disconnects. I've been using Windows Mobile/Phone since 2000 or something, so I don't say take this lightly. Hopefully you'll have a better experience - do a clean setup, it might help. Good luck.
I have none of those issues, build .29 with latest firmware update, no insider.

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I need to read, I can't recommend the phone to my family or friends if the phone is garbage like some people are implying on recent posts.

I would like to read to people that are happy with their phones and why are they happy.

@ronaldme what I would advise you to do is to leave this forum because just like folks are saying there are negative nannies everywhere there are fanboys willing to accept anything to keep hope alive. The best advice would be to go to all of the major tech blogs and read the reviews this will give you a fair view. When it comes to spending money on the 950XL its about getting your money's worth not waiting for something promised tomorrow. I feel like a lot of folks buy into this just buy and take it with all of it's issues. While forums are helpful they are not always the best place to get advice. Just me I read all of the major tech sites and some independent , along with consumer reports, and others like it. Also I watch of lot of after 15 or 30 days youtube videos. This helps me I hope it helps you too vs coming here because you will get a battle between folks that are saying no its not worth it and the folks that are saying they are happy with half baked software or beta tester.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs