Is Microsoft on to something?

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Just saw the evening news where Citibank is testing a new way to bank using Iris scanners to scan your eye to withdraw money along with a mobile app to be rolled out in 2016 they said. Microsoft has Iris scanners in their new L950 devices and other products so does Microsoft have a leg up on the competition or not thats my question.

Last edited:

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of transactions (online or at physical stores) being done with the use of iris scanners. I wonder if iris scanning is more secure than using finger prints?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of transactions (online or at physical stores) being done with the use of iris scanners. I wonder if iris scanning is more secure than using finger prints?

Probably. Based on youtube, iphone finger print scanners work with nipples and dog paws too.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site

Using fingerprints for security is not a good idea. Someone can steal that information, replicate it, and use it. If they can't do that today then they will be able to eventually. They could probably do the same thing with your iris someday by copying it from a Facebook photo. For phone or PC security it's fine, but I would not want this for my bank. It's a cool thought though.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Using fingerprints for security is not a good idea. Someone can steal that information, replicate it, and use it. If they can't do that today then they will be able to eventually. They could probably do the same thing with your iris someday by copying it from a Facebook photo. For phone or PC security it's fine, but I would not want this for my bank. It's a cool thought though.

You cannot use a photo with iris scanner.

Last edited:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

You can't use a photo on iris scanners. They scan texture in eyes using the IR. The data on the TPM chip is also not able to reform the actual iris so stealing the data is useless to criminals. It would require some really advanced stuff to circumvent. I'm sure government research knows how. But yah they use them in airports and they would never use fingerprint in airports.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Is it that easy to do really? Some dude can capture my fingerprints and use them to unlock my phone? Where does this happen besides James Bond movies?

GMJeff

Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
Is it that easy to do really? Some dude can capture my fingerprints and use them to unlock my phone? Where does this happen besides James Bond movies?

Doesn't matter where it is used. Your phone gets stolen and someone unlocks it by faking a finger print. Many people have their bank info on their phones for reasons of using things like fast pay or such. Then they have access to your banking.

An iris scanner adds exponentially to the security of a device due to the odds of someone being able to duplicate your iris.

I, for one, think this is a technology that will be everywhere in the near future.

Justin Engel

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
You cannot use a photo with iris scanner.

You can't use a photo on iris scanners. They scan texture in eyes using the IR. The data on the TPM chip is also not able to reform the actual iris so stealing the data is useless to criminals. It would require some really advanced stuff to circumvent. I'm sure government research knows how. But yah they use them in airports and they would never use fingerprint in airports.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like it was some very simple task. I didn't say they could simply use a photo to fake it. I merely said someday the technology will be there to replicate your iris or fingerprint. If someone wants to steal from you that badly they will find a way (most people don't have to worry about this, unless you are super rich or likely to be a target). In addition everything is data maybe they wont hold anything up to the iris scanner instead they bypass the iris scanner or spoof it giving the chip fake information. Yes, at this point in time it is extremely ridiculous and unheard of for someone to do this. That's why I said that someday it could be plausible for someone to use that information. I'm just saying I leave fingerprints on everything I touch. I am also aware that my fingerprint scans have been stolen from the government. Anyone can see my eyes on Facebook, the iris is a whole lot more difficult to steal than a simple photo. The technology to steal from that may not be around today, but that might not always be the case. I personally am more comfortable memorizing a long password from something important like my bank.

Your phone also has additional security like the ability to reset your phone remotely if it is stolen.

I apologize for making everyone freak out from security issues.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't matter where it is used. Your phone gets stolen and someone unlocks it by faking a finger print. Many people have their bank info on their phones for reasons of using things like fast pay or such. Then they have access to your banking.

An iris scanner adds exponentially to the security of a device due to the odds of someone being able to duplicate your iris.

I, for one, think this is a technology that will be everywhere in the near future.

I think it would be easier to hack the password or forge a check the old fashioned way.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This tech is a bad idea for banking. I have a sharp astigmatism, so my glasses make using an iris scanner impossible. Having to take my glasses off to go to the ATM is ridiculous, just as it's ridiculous to take off my glasses to use my phone.

telomoyo

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
This tech is a bad idea for banking. I have a sharp astigmatism, so my glasses make using an iris scanner impossible. Having to take my glasses off to go to the ATM is ridiculous, just as it's ridiculous to take off my glasses to use my phone.

My wife uses glasses (high prescription) and she doesn't take her off for the scanner to work.

KimRM

Apr 28, 2015
Visit site

So it's a bad idea because YOU can't use it? Wow....

It's not like it will be the only [/I ]way to ID yourself in the bank.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site

My eyes are bad too and I don't have to take my glasses off to unlock my Lumia 950 XL. Have you even used the 950/XL yet? If not, then I lose my faith in your speech. If you have, there's a few tutorials on here to make it 95% usable (I'll admit, there's a few times I have to raise my glasses up just to use the Iris Scanner, I won't lie and say its perfect).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05