01-01-2016 01:46 PM
50 12
tools
    Just saw the evening news where Citibank is testing a new way to bank using Iris scanners to scan your eye to withdraw money along with a mobile app to be rolled out in 2016 they said. Microsoft has Iris scanners in their new L950 devices and other products so does Microsoft have a leg up on the competition or not thats my question.
    Last edited by Clive Rennie; 12-24-2015 at 05:59 PM.
    Jazmac and RumoredNow like this.
    12-24-2015 04:46 PM
    Never bet against Microsoft. They play the long game.
    12-24-2015 05:13 PM
    I think there is an api for that because an email with information about windows hello implementation in apps.
    12-24-2015 05:49 PM
    I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of transactions (online or at physical stores) being done with the use of iris scanners. I wonder if iris scanning is more secure than using finger prints?
    12-24-2015 06:05 PM
    I'm sure we'll start seeing a lot of transactions (online or at physical stores) being done with the use of iris scanners. I wonder if iris scanning is more secure than using finger prints?
    Probably. Based on youtube, iphone finger print scanners work with nipples and dog paws too.
    TheChazas and 920Walker like this.
    12-24-2015 06:08 PM
    Probably. Based on youtube, iphone finger print scanners work with nipples and dog paws too.
    When I first saw this I was cracking up. I love what people will try to see if something works.
    12-24-2015 06:48 PM

And you can fake the fingerprint scanner with a mix of white and wood glue...
    12-24-2015 07:06 PM
    Using fingerprints for security is not a good idea. Someone can steal that information, replicate it, and use it. If they can't do that today then they will be able to eventually. They could probably do the same thing with your iris someday by copying it from a Facebook photo. For phone or PC security it's fine, but I would not want this for my bank. It's a cool thought though.
    ronaldme likes this.
    12-25-2015 11:41 AM
    Using fingerprints for security is not a good idea. Someone can steal that information, replicate it, and use it. If they can't do that today then they will be able to eventually. They could probably do the same thing with your iris someday by copying it from a Facebook photo. For phone or PC security it's fine, but I would not want this for my bank. It's a cool thought though.
    You cannot use a photo with iris scanner.
    Last edited by ronaldme; 12-25-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    12-25-2015 12:06 PM
    Yes onePay is in the works. Heck it's even a word my keyboard recognizes in auto complete.
    sleeve22 likes this.
    12-25-2015 01:28 PM
    You can't use a photo on iris scanners. They scan texture in eyes using the IR. The data on the TPM chip is also not able to reform the actual iris so stealing the data is useless to criminals. It would require some really advanced stuff to circumvent. I'm sure government research knows how. But yah they use them in airports and they would never use fingerprint in airports.
    12-25-2015 01:30 PM
    Is it that easy to do really? Some dude can capture my fingerprints and use them to unlock my phone? Where does this happen besides James Bond movies?
    12-25-2015 06:18 PM
    Is it that easy to do really? Some dude can capture my fingerprints and use them to unlock my phone? Where does this happen besides James Bond movies?
    Doesn't matter where it is used. Your phone gets stolen and someone unlocks it by faking a finger print. Many people have their bank info on their phones for reasons of using things like fast pay or such. Then they have access to your banking.

An iris scanner adds exponentially to the security of a device due to the odds of someone being able to duplicate your iris.

I, for one, think this is a technology that will be everywhere in the near future.
    12-25-2015 07:28 PM

Yes, is easy, or not too hard, there are videos getting the fingerprint even from the case.
    12-25-2015 07:44 PM
    You cannot use a photo with iris scanner.
    You can't use a photo on iris scanners. They scan texture in eyes using the IR. The data on the TPM chip is also not able to reform the actual iris so stealing the data is useless to criminals. It would require some really advanced stuff to circumvent. I'm sure government research knows how. But yah they use them in airports and they would never use fingerprint in airports.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to sound like it was some very simple task. I didn't say they could simply use a photo to fake it. I merely said someday the technology will be there to replicate your iris or fingerprint. If someone wants to steal from you that badly they will find a way (most people don't have to worry about this, unless you are super rich or likely to be a target). In addition everything is data maybe they wont hold anything up to the iris scanner instead they bypass the iris scanner or spoof it giving the chip fake information. Yes, at this point in time it is extremely ridiculous and unheard of for someone to do this. That's why I said that someday it could be plausible for someone to use that information. I'm just saying I leave fingerprints on everything I touch. I am also aware that my fingerprint scans have been stolen from the government. Anyone can see my eyes on Facebook, the iris is a whole lot more difficult to steal than a simple photo. The technology to steal from that may not be around today, but that might not always be the case. I personally am more comfortable memorizing a long password from something important like my bank.

Your phone also has additional security like the ability to reset your phone remotely if it is stolen.

I apologize for making everyone freak out from security issues.
    12-25-2015 08:51 PM
    Doesn't matter where it is used. Your phone gets stolen and someone unlocks it by faking a finger print. Many people have their bank info on their phones for reasons of using things like fast pay or such. Then they have access to your banking.

An iris scanner adds exponentially to the security of a device due to the odds of someone being able to duplicate your iris.

I, for one, think this is a technology that will be everywhere in the near future.
    I think it would be easier to hack the password or forge a check the old fashioned way.
    12-26-2015 12:01 AM
    This tech is a bad idea for banking. I have a sharp astigmatism, so my glasses make using an iris scanner impossible. Having to take my glasses off to go to the ATM is ridiculous, just as it's ridiculous to take off my glasses to use my phone.
    12-26-2015 02:00 PM
    This tech is a bad idea for banking. I have a sharp astigmatism, so my glasses make using an iris scanner impossible. Having to take my glasses off to go to the ATM is ridiculous, just as it's ridiculous to take off my glasses to use my phone.
    My wife uses glasses (high prescription) and she doesn't take her off for the scanner to work.
    Jazmac likes this.
    12-26-2015 02:42 PM
    So it's a bad idea because YOU can't use it? Wow....

It's not like it will be the [I]only [/I ]way to ID yourself in the bank.
    920Walker likes this.
    12-26-2015 02:53 PM
    My eyes are bad too and I don't have to take my glasses off to unlock my Lumia 950 XL. Have you even used the 950/XL yet? If not, then I lose my faith in your speech. If you have, there's a few tutorials on here to make it 95% usable (I'll admit, there's a few times I have to raise my glasses up just to use the Iris Scanner, I won't lie and say its perfect).
    12-26-2015 03:10 PM
    Also a glasses user with minimal issues on the 950's scanner. Honestly though I wouldn't mind having to lower my glasses to use them for stuff like banking, but for a phone and how frequently it needs to be unlocked it's good that it can see through the glass.
    12-26-2015 04:25 PM
    It isn't 100% but it's 10 times more accurate than fingerprint.. the numbers were something like 1:10 000 for fingerprint and 1:100 000 for iris..
    12-26-2015 06:56 PM
    Yes, is easy, or not too hard, there are videos getting the fingerprint even from the case.
    Videos? As in more than one video? Post one video of some dude, removing a fingerprint from a cell phone case and using it to unlock a phone..
    12-26-2015 08:32 PM
    Do you have a 950?
    12-27-2015 12:05 AM
    My wife uses glasses (high prescription) and she doesn't take her off for the scanner to work.
    So it's a bad idea because YOU can't use it? Wow....

It's not like it will be the [I]only [/I ]way to ID yourself in the bank.
    My eyes are bad too and I don't have to take my glasses off to unlock my Lumia 950 XL. Have you even used the 950/XL yet? If not, then I lose my faith in your speech. If you have, there's a few tutorials on here to make it 95% usable (I'll admit, there's a few times I have to raise my glasses up just to use the Iris Scanner, I won't lie and say its perfect).
    Do you have a 950?
    Yes, to all of you, I have a 950. I even got a Display Dock for it for Christmas. How the heck do you guys think I figured out I can't use the iris scanner? It WILL NOT read my eye with my glasses on. Having a high prescription isn't the same as having an astigmatism, either. Yes, it is bad tech to make the primary source of identification something that your customers can't use. If there's a reliable backup, fine, of course.

With an astigmatism, glasses correct it by bending the lens. It bends the light and keeps the iris scanner from properly reading your eye. I took images with Hello with my glasses off, both with the lights on and off. I went to take one with my glasses on, and I tried probably 5 times without success. I then went ahead and tried to unlock my phone. It worked the first time, but never again. I had to remove it. Having a thick lens (which my sister has) just isn't the same. I had to stop wearing semi-rimless frames because they can't hold the lenses I have to wear, due to the severity of the curve in the lens.
    12-27-2015 01:14 AM
50 12