View Poll Results: What Glance Screen Option do You Choose?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Off

5 5.95%
  • 30 Seconds

35 41.67%
  • 15 Minutes

19 22.62%
  • Always on

25 29.76%
01-23-2016 02:06 PM
64 123
tools
    i think amoled doesnt drain battery like the nokia lumia ones but the color quality sucks on amoled
    I think you are wrong:

Another positive remark we have about the screen is the excellent color rendering. The average DeltaE is only 1.6 is certainly the lowest average deviation we've seen on a mobile phone - it's even lower than the Lumia 950. Furthermore, the highest recorded deviation is only 2.9 - an impressive score indeed. You have got to remember that anything below 3 is considered calibration-level color accuracy so we're really happy with the fact that Microsoft provides such color accuracy out of the box.
    Microsoft Lumia 950 XL review: The Master Chief - page 3 - GSMArena.com
    01-01-2016 07:56 PM
    It does show weather. Just choose the weather app for the app to show detailed status on the lock screen.

-Skippy
    No, it doesn't work in windows 10. Weather doesn't come up as an option on the 950xl. And yes the app is installed
    01-02-2016 01:21 AM
    No, it doesn't work in windows 10. Weather doesn't come up as an option on the 950xl. And yes the app is installed
    I've found that you need to have set up the app first (set a location or set it to "always detect my location"). And it doesn't always seem to show up on the lock screen or show the current location (shows up on the lock screen maybe 50% of the time in my experience). Screenshot below is from my 950.

wp_ss_20160102_0002.jpg

When it does work, it displays the temperature and a sentence or two describing the weather/forecast.
    01-02-2016 01:49 PM
    Mine shows weather, but the short forecast puts everything in one line, it doesn't wrap it into second line. Like:
    London 11
    The skies will be cloudy. It'll be cold with a low of 7. Expec
    .....so the rest gets cut off...
    Is that normal?

2. Is there a way for glance screen to show the battery level? It shows it only when the charger is plugged in.

3. How to screenshot the glance screen?
    01-02-2016 02:00 PM
    Mine shows weather, but the short forecast puts everything in one line, it doesn't wrap it into second line. Like:
    London 11
    The skies will be cloudy. It'll be cold with a low of 7. Expec
    .....so the rest gets cut off...
    Is that normal?
    Yes it's normal but buggy. WP8.1 had a different implementation.

2. Is there a way for glance screen to show the battery level? It shows it only when the charger is plugged in.
    It does but you'll have to use a different third party application. There are plenty "Battery Usage" apps you can choose from.

3. How to screenshot the glance screen?
    Not possible
    Last edited by pankaj981; 01-13-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    01-03-2016 10:07 AM
    Mine definitely moves around.
    Sorry about the quality, but took it via the PC webcam
    Attachment 119783
    How did you use an image as your glance screen background???
    01-03-2016 10:18 AM
    Mine definitely moves around.
    Sorry about the quality, but took it via the PC webcam
    Attachment 119783
    How did you get to use an image? Since the latest build, glance screen image had been broken for me.
    01-03-2016 10:25 AM
    As other's have said, it does work in Window 10 mobile on the 950XL. It works on mine just fine. I think some other posts may give you some clues as to why yours may not be working.

-Skippy
    01-04-2016 02:33 AM
    As other's have said, it does work in Window 10 mobile on the 950XL. It works on mine just fine. I think some other posts may give you some clues as to why yours may not be working.

-Skippy
    It does work.. in a certain way but not the way it used to in 8.1. Denim introduced Glance 2.0 which enabled weather to display information on top of the lockscreen and visible with Glance. WM10 does not support this functionality yet. What it does is to enable Weather in the Detailed Status section of the lockscreen in form of a text.

Most of you arguing are comparing apples to oranges.
    01-13-2016 01:28 PM
    Using the 950 XL. Never tried Glance before (had a Lumia 925 awhile back). Found it's nice to have an always-on clock and quick status indicators when I'm around the house with my phone. I use red text for night mode between 11:00pm and 7:00am, which is much easier on the eyes when it's pitch black in my bedroom. I have the calendar as the main app for detail status, but I have a third party weather app (4castr) as one of the other app tiles; it shows the current outside temperature on the Glance screen.

Aren't AMOLED screens better able to selectively engage pixels, and that's why glance is a viable feature for daylong use? I notice only minimal battery impact with Glance engaged. I also don't think that AMOLED screens are at high risk of burn-in the way that old LCDs are.
    01-13-2016 03:23 PM
    It doesnt move for me on 950XL :(
    01-13-2016 03:39 PM
    It does work.. in a certain way but not the way it used to in 8.1. Denim introduced Glance 2.0 which enabled weather to display information on top of the lockscreen and visible with Glance. WM10 does not support this functionality yet. What it does is to enable Weather in the Detailed Status section of the lockscreen in form of a text.

Most of you arguing are comparing apples to oranges.
    Well, my apples are better than your oranges!
    pankaj981 likes this.
    01-13-2016 04:04 PM
    Well, my apples are better than your oranges!
    I don't like either :P
    01-13-2016 06:47 PM
    New to Windows phone,, and I have a few questions re Glance :) Mainly trying to work out which Glance setting best suits what I want from my phone.

Today, I switched off banners for most apps as I dont want my phone screen and Hello, when the phone is idle, to keep activating each time I get a notification. So I set Glance to 30 seconds with Notification icons set to Yes, expecting that each time I had a new email, message etc, Glance would come on - but it didn't. Should it?

I tried the 15 minute setting for Glance, but it seems to keep Glance on permanently - is this just a bug on my phone, or a known issue?

And can I just confirm, even if I had Glance set to Always on, as soon as I put it in its case in my pocket, that the screen will go off because the proximity sensor is covered?

Thanks!
    01-23-2016 02:06 PM
64 123