Glance Screen - What setting?

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Just curious how many people use Glance and those who do, what setting.

I'm new to Lumia (had a Samsung WP before), so I didn't have Glance. If it's set to be always on, are there any image retention concerns? Is the battery impact minimal?

-Skippy

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Ello Skippy :D just want to clarify.. I picked "always on", but previously my go to setting was 30 seconds. Reason why I switched? Well I switched when I was trying to replicate a problem that someone here was having, but I found it so useful, I decided to keep it on "always on"..

Battery? very minimal impact

Screen? well when I place mine on "always on" it moves around instead of staying in one place, which is essentially ideal

Lumia 920

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Battery? very minimal impact
Screen? well when I place mine on "always on" it moves around instead of staying in one place, which is essentially ideal

Answered it all, but remembered when Microsoft said on their presentation, that glance uses "zero" battery life, not so true after all.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

Lumia 920

I see you reference a Lumia 920. Are you saying it moves around on your Lumia 920 and not a 950XL? If so, does the 920 have Windows 10 Mobile, or is it still on WP8.x?

On my 950XL with Win 10 Mobile, the information on the screen does not move around no matter if it's set for 30sec, 15min, or Always on. Does it move around for anyone else with a 950XL?

-Skippy

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I see you reference a Lumia 920. Are you saying it moves around on your Lumia 920 and not a 950XL? If so, does the 920 have Windows 10 Mobile, or is it still on WP8.x?

On my 950XL with Win 10 Mobile, the information on the screen does not move around no matter if it's set for 30sec, 15min, or Always on. Does it move around for anyone else with a 950XL?

-Skippy

920 with the latest insider build. Only moves around when set to always on, but not sure if that's a bug

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Ferretzombie, you are a genius and you are absolutely correct. Peek is still alive and well, it is just on by default.

And here I was lamenting the demise of peek. I thought the "30 seconds" setting alone didn't make an awful lot of sense, but with peek, it totally makes sense.

So back OT, I had it "always on" before, but now I have it on "30 seconds - with peek" :cool: .

A related question, who here sets it so glance is on "night mode" all day? As you know, night mode lets you choose a colour (red, green and blue). I have mine on red permanently because I have been led to believe that the red sub-pixels of our OLED screens are the most durable (with blue being the least durable).

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Ferretzombie, you are a genius and you are absolutely correct. Peek is still alive and well, it is just on by default.

And here I was lamenting the demise of peek. I thought the "30 seconds" setting alone didn't make an awful lot of sense, but with peek, it totally makes sense.

So back OT, I had it "always on" before, but now I have it on "30 seconds - with peek" :cool: .

A related question, who here sets it so glance is on "night mode" all day? As you know, night mode lets you choose a colour (red, green and blue). I have mine on red permanently because I have been led to believe that the red sub-pixels of our OLED screens are the most durable (with blue being the least durable).

I have the nigh mode to turn off.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well, I rarely get any notifications, Maybe one sms a day. I've disabled whatsapp, email and other notifications as I check those manually at my own time

Glance Screen shows you the date, time, any notifications you have (like texts, emails, calendar events, etcetera). It'll also tell you if your phone is charging, if you have any alarms turned on, and if you have Quiet Hours activated. Previously, you could also set Glance Screen to show you the weather too, although I'm not sure that's possible in Windows 10 Mobile and I wouldn't do it anyways because I don't want my Lock Screen to change.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Glance Screen shows you the date, time, any notifications you have (like texts, emails, calendar events, etcetera). It'll also tell you if your phone is charging, if you have any alarms turned on, and if you have Quiet Hours activated. Previously, you could also set Glance Screen to show you the weather too, although I'm not sure that's possible in Windows 10 Mobile and I wouldn't do it anyways because I don't want my Lock Screen to change.

It does show weather. Just choose the weather app for the app to show detailed status on the lock screen.

-Skippy

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
Off for me (lumia 925). Never liked it as it reminds me of those cheesy red LED watches from the 70s. Sounds tell me if I have messages, emails, WhatsApp messages etc although I am looking forward to once again having different alerts for different email accounts.

Also find it rather annoying it's always back on by default with each insider build, and up until the last few the app was missing and had to be manually reinstalled (at least for me) to turn it off again.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Off for me (lumia 925). Never liked it as it reminds me of those cheesy red LED watches from the 70s. Sounds tell me if I have messages, emails, WhatsApp messages etc although I am looking forward to once again having different alerts for different email accounts.

Also find it rather annoying it's always back on by default with each insider build, and up until the last few the app was missing and had to be manually reinstalled (at least for me) to turn it off again.

The Glance Screen settings are in Settings, it doesn't need its own application.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss