Glance Screen - What setting?

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
Ferretzombie, you are a genius and you are absolutely correct. Peek is still alive and well, it is just on by default.

And here I was lamenting the demise of peek. I thought the "30 seconds" setting alone didn't make an awful lot of sense, but with peek, it totally makes sense.

So back OT, I had it "always on" before, but now I have it on "30 seconds - with peek" :cool: .

A related question, who here sets it so glance is on "night mode" all day? As you know, night mode lets you choose a colour (red, green and blue). I have mine on red permanently because I have been led to believe that the red sub-pixels of our OLED screens are the most durable (with blue being the least durable).

How do you get "peek" to work.
I previously had my glance set to 15 minutes, I noticed that when it would go into my pocket it would turn off but when I pulled it out it would go on again.

Now I have set it to 30 seconds and now after that 30 seconds it goes away unless I click the power button which will unlock the phone.. No waving or tapping or anything gets the glance screen back...

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Now I have set it to 30 seconds and now after that 30 seconds it goes away unless I click the power button which will unlock the phone.. No waving or tapping or anything gets the glance screen back...

waving or tappint at the top of the screen will turn on glance, tested on my L950XL with 30 secs option.

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Mine is not moving the clock, even on always on.

C.Nash, glad you got it to work. My iPhone toting colleagues look at me funny when I wave at my ambient sensor to trigger "peek" glance. I tell them it's a new and improved version of 3D touch.

Ronaldme, I don't notice the glance clock moving around on my 950 XL either. It seems to be in the lower left of the screen all the time.

In contrast, my 1520 on 8.1 had the glance details fly all over the place.

So I am a little bit concerned about burn in on my 950 XL. Another reason to prefer "30 seconds" over "always on", I guess?

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
C.Nash, glad you got it to work. My iPhone toting colleagues look at me funny when I wave at my ambient sensor to trigger "peek" glance. I tell them it's a new and improved version of 3D touch.

Ronaldme, I don't notice the glance clock moving around on my 950 XL either. It seems to be in the lower left of the screen all the time.

In contrast, my 1520 on 8.1 had the glance details fly all over the place.

So I am a little bit concerned about burn in on my 950 XL. Another reason to prefer "30 seconds" over "always on", I guess?

Yes, 30 seconds here, I don't want screen burning neither

vartanarsen

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Funny how they went backward with Glance. 8.1 you could even have msn weather as the whole lock screen that floated onto Glance with detailed Calendar...cant do that anymore. Nokia n9 from almost 10 years ago was doing Glance better than this

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Funny how they went backward with Glance. 8.1 you could even have msn weather as the whole lock screen that floated onto Glance with detailed Calendar...cant do that anymore. Nokia n9 from almost 10 years ago was doing Glance better than this

Remember that it is a new OS, the glance was rewritten and they will release updates with new features. Glance was worse when released on WP8.x.

Cruachan 11

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
The Glance Screen settings are in Settings, it doesn't need its own application.

Not on some preview builds, it should have been in settings but wasn't accessible until the app was manually downloaded from the store and in some cases that wasn't possible. There're a load of threads on the subject.

Sarveshwar

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
920 with the latest insider build. Only moves around when set to always on, but not sure if that's a bug

Can you tell me what build you'e on? I am on 10586.29 and Glance setting crashes every time I launch it. So it remains off since the day I did the update. I am assuming you're on 10586.36 and Glance works perfectly on it. Is it?

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Can you tell me what build you'e on? I am on 10586.29 and Glance setting crashes every time I launch it. So it remains off since the day I did the update. I am assuming you're on 10586.36 and Glance works perfectly on it. Is it?

I'm on .29 and glance is working fine.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Not on some preview builds, it should have been in settings but wasn't accessible until the app was manually downloaded from the store and in some cases that wasn't possible. There're a load of threads on the subject.
After upgrading to WM10, Glance had to be updated to the latest WM10 version inorder to be fully functional. An update has already been pushed a while ago to work with WM10.
Try downloading the latest Glance WM10 update from the Store. If that doesn't work then try re-installing Glance. If that doesn't fix it either then a hard-reset is your only bet.

stoneshop

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I have Glance "always on" but.....I have it in "night mode red" from 02:01 to 02:00. I like the red better than the standard, to bright, "white" and even in direct sun light it is bright enough for me. And it is less conspicuous. No picture and I don't notice any battery issues but the battery on my L950 have been great since it came out of the box anyway :winktongue: Oh, and it moves around on my L950 with these settings.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I have mine set to 30 seconds, because that gives me enough time to A) see if anyone has messaged me, B) see if Windows Central has any new stories (it'll be going off a lot next week, can't wait), and/or C) see my battery level (Battery Sense). Once either A or B, I unlock my phone and go from there. If A or B isn't there, at least I know C (which usually has a thought process of "Oh man, shouldn't have played Sniper Fury on my 950 XL....").

In other news though, my notifications do move when it's on the charger (guess because that's enough time for it to).

cnashx

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I have Glance "always on" but.....I have it in "night mode red" from 02:01 to 02:00. I like the red better than the standard, to bright, "white" and even in direct sun light it is bright enough for me. And it is less conspicuous. No picture and I don't notice any battery issues but the battery on my L950 have been great since it came out of the box anyway :winktongue: Oh, and it moves around on my L950 with these settings.

The red looks weird on my 950xl... and mine never moves around, no matter what setting I have it on.

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Try downloading the latest Glance WM10 update from the Store. If that doesn't work then try re-installing Glance. If that doesn't fix it either then a hard-reset is your only bet.

Those of us with 950 XLs do not have an app we can download the latest Glance WM10 from the store or re-install. Glance is built into the OS and you access it's settings from the normal OS settings (All Settings - Extras - Glance Screen).

Did a quick search in the store, and I don't even see a Glance app.

-Skippy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6