Glance Screen - What setting?

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Can you tell me what build you'e on? I am on 10586.29 and Glance setting crashes every time I launch it. So it remains off since the day I did the update. I am assuming you're on 10586.36 and Glance works perfectly on it. Is it?

As others have noted, I'm also on .29 and Glance works fine.

-Skippy

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Those of us with 950 XLs do not have an app we can download the latest Glance WM10 from the store or re-install. Glance is built into the OS and you access it's settings from the normal OS settings (All Settings - Extras - Glance Screen).

Did a quick search in the store, and I don't even see a Glance app.

-Skippy

That's still a separate app and not baked in to the OS.

Here's the link to the store download: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fglance-screen%2F9wzdncrfj3ds&token=uH3Wro9u

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's still a separate app and not baked in to the OS.

Here's the link to the store download: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...2Fglance-screen%2F9wzdncrfj3ds&token=YN6gSYAp

Interesting. If I search for Glance Screen, I can't find that app in the store, but it comes up if I tap on the link you provided. Good to know, thanks.

I still don't think you can delete it and re-install though. I went to Extras in the settings area and long pressed "Glance screen" and did not get an option to delete. Also checked the app list and it doesn't appear there.

No biggie for me as it work fine for me, but I don't think someone who is having issues with it would be able to delete and re-install. Unless there's some other way to delete it?

-Skippy

TuanLVT

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
Answered it all, but remembered when Microsoft said on their presentation, that glance uses "zero" battery life, not so true after all.

hes talking about lumia 920 not lumia 950 that microsoft said in their event... i think amoled doesnt drain battery like the nokia lumia ones but the color quality sucks on amoled

tropolite

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
And there is a cool little app called Locktemp that allows you to add the temp to the notifications (if you can spare a space), which I find very handy.

I no longer wear a watch as my 950XL is surgically attached to me now anyway (well, that could be exaggerating a tad :eek:rly: ).

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
i think amoled doesnt drain battery like the nokia lumia ones but the color quality sucks on amoled

I think you are wrong:

Another positive remark we have about the screen is the excellent color rendering. The average DeltaE is only 1.6 is certainly the lowest average deviation we've seen on a mobile phone - it's even lower than the Lumia 950. Furthermore, the highest recorded deviation is only 2.9 - an impressive score indeed. You have got to remember that anything below 3 is considered calibration-level color accuracy so we're really happy with the fact that Microsoft provides such color accuracy out of the box.

Microsoft Lumia 950 XL review: The Master Chief - page 3 - GSMArena.com

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
It does show weather. Just choose the weather app for the app to show detailed status on the lock screen.

-Skippy

No, it doesn't work in windows 10. Weather doesn't come up as an option on the 950xl. And yes the app is installed

Stephen570

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No, it doesn't work in windows 10. Weather doesn't come up as an option on the 950xl. And yes the app is installed

I've found that you need to have set up the app first (set a location or set it to "always detect my location"). And it doesn't always seem to show up on the lock screen or show the current location (shows up on the lock screen maybe 50% of the time in my experience). Screenshot below is from my 950.

wp_ss_20160102_0002.jpg

When it does work, it displays the temperature and a sentence or two describing the weather/forecast.

Martin Zone

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
Mine shows weather, but the short forecast puts everything in one line, it doesn't wrap it into second line. Like:
London 11
The skies will be cloudy. It'll be cold with a low of 7. Expec
?.....so the rest gets cut off...
Is that normal?

2. Is there a way for glance screen to show the battery level? It shows it only when the charger is plugged in.

3. How to screenshot the glance screen?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Mine shows weather, but the short forecast puts everything in one line, it doesn't wrap it into second line. Like:
London 11
The skies will be cloudy. It'll be cold with a low of 7. Expec
?.....so the rest gets cut off...
Is that normal?

Yes it's normal but buggy. WP8.1 had a different implementation.

2. Is there a way for glance screen to show the battery level? It shows it only when the charger is plugged in.

It does but you'll have to use a different third party application. There are plenty "Battery Usage" apps you can choose from.

3. How to screenshot the glance screen?

Not possible

Last edited:

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

As other's have said, it does work in Window 10 mobile on the 950XL. It works on mine just fine. I think some other posts may give you some clues as to why yours may not be working.

-Skippy

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
As other's have said, it does work in Window 10 mobile on the 950XL. It works on mine just fine. I think some other posts may give you some clues as to why yours may not be working.

-Skippy

It does work.. in a certain way but not the way it used to in 8.1. Denim introduced Glance 2.0 which enabled weather to display information on top of the lockscreen and visible with Glance. WM10 does not support this functionality yet. What it does is to enable Weather in the Detailed Status section of the lockscreen in form of a text.

Most of you arguing are comparing apples to oranges.

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Using the 950 XL. Never tried Glance before (had a Lumia 925 awhile back). Found it's nice to have an always-on clock and quick status indicators when I'm around the house with my phone. I use red text for night mode between 11:00pm and 7:00am, which is much easier on the eyes when it's pitch black in my bedroom. I have the calendar as the main app for detail status, but I have a third party weather app (4castr) as one of the other app tiles; it shows the current outside temperature on the Glance screen.

Aren't AMOLED screens better able to selectively engage pixels, and that's why glance is a viable feature for daylong use? I notice only minimal battery impact with Glance engaged. I also don't think that AMOLED screens are at high risk of burn-in the way that old LCDs are.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99