View Poll Results: What Glance Screen Option do You Choose?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Off

5 5.95%
  • 30 Seconds

35 41.67%
  • 15 Minutes

19 22.62%
  • Always on

25 29.76%
01-23-2016 03:06 PM
64 123
tools
    Just curious how many people use Glance and those who do, what setting.

I'm new to Lumia (had a Samsung WP before), so I didn't have Glance. If it's set to be always on, are there any image retention concerns? Is the battery impact minimal?

-Skippy
    TheChazas likes this.
    12-28-2015 08:38 PM
    Ello Skippy :D just want to clarify.. I picked "always on", but previously my go to setting was 30 seconds. Reason why I switched? Well I switched when I was trying to replicate a problem that someone here was having, but I found it so useful, I decided to keep it on "always on"..

Battery? very minimal impact

Screen? well when I place mine on "always on" it moves around instead of staying in one place, which is essentially ideal

Lumia 920
    TheChazas likes this.
    12-28-2015 10:43 PM
    Battery? very minimal impact
    Screen? well when I place mine on "always on" it moves around instead of staying in one place, which is essentially ideal
    Answered it all, but remembered when Microsoft said on their presentation, that glance uses "zero" battery life, not so true after all.
    12-29-2015 09:59 AM

Lumia 920
    I see you reference a Lumia 920. Are you saying it moves around on your Lumia 920 and not a 950XL? If so, does the 920 have Windows 10 Mobile, or is it still on WP8.x?

On my 950XL with Win 10 Mobile, the information on the screen does not move around no matter if it's set for 30sec, 15min, or Always on. Does it move around for anyone else with a 950XL?

-Skippy
    12-29-2015 11:42 AM
    30 seconds here, I know it is an amoled screen but I'm afraid of screen burning.
    12-29-2015 12:22 PM
    I see you reference a Lumia 920. Are you saying it moves around on your Lumia 920 and not a 950XL? If so, does the 920 have Windows 10 Mobile, or is it still on WP8.x?

On my 950XL with Win 10 Mobile, the information on the screen does not move around no matter if it's set for 30sec, 15min, or Always on. Does it move around for anyone else with a 950XL?

-Skippy
    920 with the latest insider build. Only moves around when set to always on, but not sure if that's a bug
    12-29-2015 01:10 PM
    Answered it all, but remembered when Microsoft said on their presentation, that glance uses "zero" battery life, not so true after all.
    Lol I know :D There will always be an impact on battery.. The question is; how big?
    12-29-2015 01:11 PM
    30 seconds here. I am missing the "peek" option 😢
    12-29-2015 06:52 PM
    30 seconds here. I am missing the "peek" option ��
    I looked up what peek does, and my 950xl seems to do it by default. After the glance screen times out and I hover or wave my hand over the phone the glance screen will come back on.
    ven07 and ajj3085 like this.
    12-29-2015 07:39 PM
    Ferretzombie, you are a genius and you are absolutely correct. Peek is still alive and well, it is just on by default.

And here I was lamenting the demise of peek. I thought the "30 seconds" setting alone didn't make an awful lot of sense, but with peek, it totally makes sense.

So back OT, I had it "always on" before, but now I have it on "30 seconds - with peek" .

A related question, who here sets it so glance is on "night mode" all day? As you know, night mode lets you choose a colour (red, green and blue). I have mine on red permanently because I have been led to believe that the red sub-pixels of our OLED screens are the most durable (with blue being the least durable).
    12-29-2015 09:45 PM
    Ferretzombie, you are a genius and you are absolutely correct. Peek is still alive and well, it is just on by default.

And here I was lamenting the demise of peek. I thought the "30 seconds" setting alone didn't make an awful lot of sense, but with peek, it totally makes sense.

So back OT, I had it "always on" before, but now I have it on "30 seconds - with peek" .

A related question, who here sets it so glance is on "night mode" all day? As you know, night mode lets you choose a colour (red, green and blue). I have mine on red permanently because I have been led to believe that the red sub-pixels of our OLED screens are the most durable (with blue being the least durable).

I have the nigh mode to turn off.
    12-29-2015 11:22 PM
    Glance screen is just for showing time, right? I've never used it since I have a wrist watch
    12-30-2015 03:47 AM
    Glance screen is just for showing time, right? I've never used it since I have a wrist watch
    It shows notifications too.
    12-30-2015 04:10 AM
    It shows notifications too.
    Well, I rarely get any notifications, Maybe one sms a day. I've disabled whatsapp, email and other notifications as I check those manually at my own time
    12-30-2015 04:22 AM
    Well, I rarely get any notifications, Maybe one sms a day. I've disabled whatsapp, email and other notifications as I check those manually at my own time
    Glance Screen shows you the date, time, any notifications you have (like texts, emails, calendar events, etcetera). It'll also tell you if your phone is charging, if you have any alarms turned on, and if you have Quiet Hours activated. Previously, you could also set Glance Screen to show you the weather too, although I'm not sure that's possible in Windows 10 Mobile and I wouldn't do it anyways because I don't want my Lock Screen to change.
    12-30-2015 10:17 AM
    Glance Screen shows you the date, time, any notifications you have (like texts, emails, calendar events, etcetera). It'll also tell you if your phone is charging, if you have any alarms turned on, and if you have Quiet Hours activated. Previously, you could also set Glance Screen to show you the weather too, although I'm not sure that's possible in Windows 10 Mobile and I wouldn't do it anyways because I don't want my Lock Screen to change.
    It does show weather. Just choose the weather app for the app to show detailed status on the lock screen.

-Skippy
    12-30-2015 10:58 AM
    Off for me (lumia 925). Never liked it as it reminds me of those cheesy red LED watches from the 70s. Sounds tell me if I have messages, emails, WhatsApp messages etc although I am looking forward to once again having different alerts for different email accounts.

Also find it rather annoying it's always back on by default with each insider build, and up until the last few the app was missing and had to be manually reinstalled (at least for me) to turn it off again.
    12-30-2015 11:15 AM
    Off for me (lumia 925). Never liked it as it reminds me of those cheesy red LED watches from the 70s. Sounds tell me if I have messages, emails, WhatsApp messages etc although I am looking forward to once again having different alerts for different email accounts.

Also find it rather annoying it's always back on by default with each insider build, and up until the last few the app was missing and had to be manually reinstalled (at least for me) to turn it off again.
    The Glance Screen settings are in Settings, it doesn't need its own application.
    12-30-2015 02:46 PM
    It does show weather. Just choose the weather app for the app to show detailed status on the lock screen.

-Skippy
    Good to know, thanks, but I probably won't take advantage of that. I can only have one detailed status, so yeah.
    12-30-2015 02:47 PM
    All of the options we had previously are still there, but now they are measured in time lol No idea why :/
    12-30-2015 02:49 PM

How do you get "peek" to work.
    I previously had my glance set to 15 minutes, I noticed that when it would go into my pocket it would turn off but when I pulled it out it would go on again.

Now I have set it to 30 seconds and now after that 30 seconds it goes away unless I click the power button which will unlock the phone.. No waving or tapping or anything gets the glance screen back...
    12-30-2015 03:00 PM
    Now I have set it to 30 seconds and now after that 30 seconds it goes away unless I click the power button which will unlock the phone.. No waving or tapping or anything gets the glance screen back...
    waving or tappint at the top of the screen will turn on glance, tested on my L950XL with 30 secs option.
    12-30-2015 03:04 PM
    I have it on Always ON on all my phones (1520, 830, 640)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-30-2015 03:16 PM
    I have it on Always ON on all my phones (1520, 830, 640)
    The screen on 1520 is IPS, it consumes battery.
    12-30-2015 03:24 PM
    waving or tappint at the top of the screen will turn on glance, tested on my L950XL with 30 secs option.
    Got it to work.
    Had to restart 950XL.
    12-30-2015 03:37 PM
64 123