OWNERS: 950XL questions

Hasnz

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
1. I can easily go through a day with normal usage . I have noticed that facebook and edge browser eats a lot of battery .

2.Performance is ok but inconsistent . Why do have slight splash screen delay when opening a simple app like calculator , loading time after the app has launched and random resumes . Why would watsapp need to resume :/ . Because I am loving the UI , maybe I can come over these minor hiccups .

3. This experience has been pretty stable for me . The .29 and firmware upgrades . everything is rock solid !

4. It does get warm . While i dont do much gaming , I noticed it gets warm when browsing in the edge browser . It will be warm enough to grab your attention

5. Cant anser this as I never owned a 1520

6.It can be frustrating depending on your usage . Maybe more on the apps part rather than the OS . I dont use many apps but I would atleast expect apps like facebook , watsapp work as good as other OS .

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Windows Hello on the Surface seems to recognize from a wider range of distance from the camera. On the 950 XL Hello works well as long as the phone is held close to the face, directly in front of the eyes without a lot of body motion.

Does anyone know if Hello on the phone is exactly like on Surface? I get the impression that on the Surface it is recognizing my face and on the phone is recognizing my eyes.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Windows Hello on the Surface seems to recognize from a wider range of distance from the camera. On the 950 XL Hello works well as long as the phone is held close to the face, directly in front of the eyes without a lot of body motion.

Does anyone know if Hello on the phone is exactly like on Surface? I get the impression that on the Surface it is recognizing my face and on the phone is recognizing my eyes.

The phone has an Iris scanner, not a face scanner.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

Windows Hello includes several different standards of biometric authentications, such as facial recognition, iris scanning, and fingerprint scanning. Windows Hello on the latest Surface products and any PC that has a Kinect or Intel 3D camera installed will utilize facial recognition. The latest Lumias utilize iris scanning instead.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
1.battery life on lite,medium&heavy usage?
Lite, medium and heavy are relative terms. Overall, I would say the battery life is not as good as I would expect. Def. worse than my 640 on 8.1. Probably about the same as my 640 was on 10.

2.performance
Apps open fast, no resuming app screens, things flow smoothly.

3.crashes,random reboots or freezing?
It has frozen on me a few times (had it since Dec. 11th). Once today, but been a while before that. It did freeze once taking a picture - after about 20 other pictures - at a Disney parade. Wasn't happy I had to soft reset it right then. For the most part, though, relatively trouble free.

4. Does it get hot like other 810 phones? Does liquid cooling really help it to stay cool?
Definitely gets warm while charging. Also noticed it gets hot while playing Crossy Road. If it gets warm with the liquid cooling, I'd hate to think of what it'd be like without it.

5.worth buying than 1520?
Never owned a 1520, but I would say given the age of the 1520, it's definitely an upgrade. Others might disagree. If you are patient I wouldn't be surprised to see the price drop in a few weeks or months making it more worth it.

6.is the software part bad?
There are quirks. No showstoppers for me, but YMMV. Occasionally music playback over bluetooth in my truck skips & stutters. Have to either restart my phone or the truck. Obviously turning off the truck is harder to do if you're driving. :) The good news is that the bugs can be fixed through updates and given how much of things is split out from the OS, no waiting for OS updates for a lot of things (obviously there will be OS and firmware level things to be fixed, too). Blows my mind they can update the store app via the store app.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with it!

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
I can finally chime in now after a few days of testing...After updating to the .36 insider preview, I did notice minor improvements in my 950xl...battery life still nowhere near my L1520.3 on W8.1:(

However, after un-linking the SkypeVideo aspect of messaging...my battery life lasted approximately 36 hours with heavy usage on internet/email/messaging, Hey Cortana ON, Windows Hello ON...100%-15% in 36 hours. I was shocked.

So until I can receive the firmware update, no SkypeVideo integration for me...

***Now I just wish they would fix the Outlook pinned email live tiles once and for all...lol***

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Anyone owning a 950XL please answer the questions..
2.performance
4. Does it get hot like other 810 phones? Does liquid cooling really help it to stay cool?

Day 1 purchase here.

1. Heavy usage, it'll drop quickly because of screen. 1% drain per hour in standby with only essential background apps on like FB, Tweetium, Messaging, Outlook, Health. 55-60% after 13 hours off charge with 3 hours screen on time is my usage observation.
2. Performance is nice and zippy quick.
3. I've seen a freeze or reboot in earlier builds. None so far on .36 with no sd card installed and from hard reset no restore from backup.
4. Mostly on charge only, gets warm, never hot. Usage is cool. I haven't tried gaming.
5. I like the size is big, but not outrageous. Love the on screen buttons, no more accidental buttons hit. Love that there's no sharp corners. Hated that on my 1520 and 830.
6. W10 is working pretty great for me. Only concern is sometimes mobile hotspot data doesn't transmit and action center toggle may get stuck with connecting message and I have to toggle cellular off/on for hotspot to enable correctly.

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I can finally chime in now after a few days of testing...After updating to the .36 insider preview, I did notice minor improvements in my 950xl...battery life still nowhere near my L1520.3 on W8.1:(

However, after un-linking the SkypeVideo aspect of messaging...my battery life lasted approximately 36 hours with heavy usage on internet/email/messaging, Hey Cortana ON, Windows Hello ON...100%-15% in 36 hours. I was shocked.

So until I can receive the firmware update, no SkypeVideo integration for me...

***Now I just wish they would fix the Outlook pinned email live tiles once and for all...lol***

I've been thinking of unlinking my Skype from messaging. How do you do that? Thanks.

Edit: Found out how. Let's see if that will help my battery life as well.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
2.performance

I'll mention my firmware because there are people with issues that I don't have. The latest firmware update that actually has helped many people with battery shows that firmware can make a difference.
Firmware: 15454

1.) My battery life is pretty decent. I will play multiplayer games that I flip between, single player games, and flip to chats as well while playing and my battery lasts pretty long.
2.) Performance is amazing. I play asphalt 8 pretty pimped out. I have even played games in continuum and on the phone at the same time. The phone runs like butter. It may get a bit warm in those cases but my guess is because it's plugged in and the battery is in fast charge. Warm does not mean hot though. I get no loading/resuming screens or anything like that.
3.) The only time something will crash for me is if the store updates it. It has a tendency to force shut the applications you are running when they get updated. I think this could be seen as crashing for some. They need to add a message that the application needs to be shut down due to update. I have sent feedback. Other than that, honestly I had runenmals crash on startup for me twice. But relaunching fixed it. Happened during the runemals loading screen. It could be the game contacting its own servers and an issue arises, not sure. Not a big deal for me. It's not ported to windows 10 yet anyways so it's running backwards compatibility layer. And a lot of apps are for now. So I think the best gains will be once they start moving over and updating.
4. It gets warm and it's nicely dispersed. But not hot, nowhere near. The warmth rarely happens though. I found it happened more when I was running the older build before .36. The way it works is the heat is not only dispersed but cooled down pretty quickly. So you get this warmth along the back instead of heat in one spot. The warmth is more likely to occur when you have it plugged in charging while doing something heavy.
5.) New tech is always better. It will be more likely to support newer features of windows 10. And I think continuum really does seem cool like hell. There are some things to be ironed out, like leaving screen on during it. There's an app for that though which loads a black image on the phone during continuum and grabs control of touch. The oleds will turn off on a black image. More and more apps are becoming compatible too. We have a thread running in the continuum forum of apps that support it.
6.) The Os itself is great, it can be more refined no doubt. The built in apps though are only starting to get better now as they are building them from the ground up. So even simple features that weren't available in previous builds are now here. But these are things that are expected from that type of app. Mail for example just recently got the ability to empty your folders, select all, undo actions. People app is in need of much work. But since I do see them improving there's no reason they won't get better.

In the end. The MS return policy is great man. You can go buy it, just don't bang it up and they will give you a full refund. It's essentially a trial before you buy.

smittybacall

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Sorry to hijack this thread.

Can anyone of the 950XL owners share their experience about the lock button moved between the volume buttons?
Has someone got used to it/still getting used to it?

Thanks.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Position has not bothered me, although I prefer the 1020 arrangement. It is just that I have to use it, I miss double tap to wake and is the reason my 1020 with 8.1 is still my daily.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
2.performance
1, the battery lasts for very long time if you don't use the phone. the battery drains when you are using the phone.

2, performance is good. but its processing power is a little bit insufficient when dealing with continuum. it lags when I use edge to surf the web in continuum mode.

3, crashes, reboots or freezing seldom occur in normal use but sometimes happen in continuum mode.

4, not so hot

5, it's appearance and spec is better than 1520 and 1520 doesn't support continuum. I think 950xl is worth to buy.

6, the os and the softwares are ok.

bicubu

Dec 3, 2015
Visit site
1. Battery life is fit me perfectly I'm using from light to medium usage
2. Smooth no complain especially when using continuum make me wonder how a phone can perform this well
3. Just 1 or 2 random restart and camera some time froze and give me error but I can live with it seen WP 10 never complete.
4. Of course when charging and update or download will make your phone hot but compare to my L 930 it is nothing like that hot. I'm very happy.
5. For sure you will love the new screen size compare to L 1520 it big but it fit in your hand and your pocket.
6. Software still need alot improvement but I'm dont really care about it that's much.
7. Need to add about camera because it is a main reason why I bought this phone, super fast and awesomeness,.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05