Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm on an "unlocked" 950 XL from MS running on AT&T and haven't gotten the update, even with the AT&T pulled. I'm thinking of trying to pull the sim, then resetting to factory, then using WDRT to get the new firmware, then trying to reconnect with AT&T.

In the past, with my 1520, I was able to get Denim many, many months before AT&T approved it. It took some momentary inconvenience with AT&T customer service to sort of manually re-register my 1520 but it worked fine afterwards. So I suspect the new firmware upgrade is possible but that MS is actively suppressing it right now. None of this is unknowable if MS would just come clean, instead of subjecting motivated early-adopters to this needless and counter-productive uncertainty. They owe us better than this. Better than vague assurances before we bought and more than the infuriating silence or non-denial denials that are floating around in the ether. I'm willing to go through the paces and hope MS and AT&T will collectively have the corporate decency to look the other way and allow a workaround. How many of us are out there? If we're this willing, we're also good sources of early feedback and telemetry.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm on an "unlocked" 950 XL from MS running on AT&T and haven't gotten the update, even with the AT&T pulled. I'm thinking of trying to pull the sim, then resetting to factory, then using WDRT to get the new firmware, then trying to reconnect with AT&T.

Won't do you any good as the new firmware is not available on WDRT for the U.S. 950XL yet. But I share your sentiment. I'll also add that insiders should have the option to get the firmware day 1 on unlocked devices regardless of region IMHO.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
That's my assessment of the situation, yes. I have no actual proof but it seems the most logical from my point of view ;)

It's interesting how, when I ask specific questions about this, those who claimed "these are the facts, firmware update always requires carrier approval" have disappeared from the discussion.

downup

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My father has 950 and he got it. I have xl and nothing for me yet. We got the same carrier, bought it from the same store.

Alexander Long

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
My father has 950 and he got it. I have xl and nothing for me yet. We got the same carrier, bought it from the same store.

Similar as window10 upgrading back in July. Some how luck or random. Plus they might just push things in batches.
Even though eryone is anxious, patience will always leads the way of most gain.
BTW, anyone from Canada get it yet on either phone?

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
It's interesting how, when I ask specific questions about this, those who claimed "these are the facts, firmware update always requires carrier approval" have disappeared from the discussion.

I really do not understand how this can be complicated or contentious. It is pretty simple. But some people are replying to you with answers mentioning the AT&T 950, which is obviously is a different boat since it's a carrier-locked device (like the person who mentioned contract/legal language.) A carrier-locked phone, the AT&T Lumia 950, is probably going to require carrier approval for a firmware update, contractually, of course.

The Lumia 950XL is not a carrier-locked phone, and I disagree with those who suggest such a device would need more carrier approvals for the firmware since it's "universal." Unlocked phones don't need carrier approvals for any updates. That is not to say, however, that Microsoft might not choose to ask carriers to test or vet updates including firmware for them, especially if we're talking about support for things like VoLTE. (And maybe it's true, as was suggested, that Microsoft chooses to test firmware/radio-updates for unlocked devices against multiple carriers and this takes longer. But we really have no way to know.)

The fact is, we have no idea what the (so far, pretty short) delay is in getting the firmware update out to U.S. Lumia 950XLs. XLs outside the US have gotten the firmware, and Microsoft is probably just either doing further testing or phasing it in slowly for other reasons. I really do not see this phase-in period as any reason to be up-in-arms, as the XLs have gotten several OS updates so far which is an incredibly rapid pace compared with the past.

I'm sure in the coming weeks the situation with the firmware update for US 950XLs will shake out.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The Lumia 950XL is not a carrier-locked phone, and I disagree with those who suggest such a device would need more carrier approvals for the firmware since it's "universal." Unlocked phones don't need carrier approvals for any updates. That is not to say, however, that Microsoft might not choose to ask carriers to test or vet updates including firmware for them, especially if we're talking about support for things like VoLTE. (And maybe it's true, as was suggested, that Microsoft chooses to test firmware/radio-updates for unlocked devices against multiple carriers and this takes longer. But we really have no way to know.)

Not sure how it could not be imagined that a unlocked phone on a specific carrier could be prevented from getting a "universal" firmware. Update system doesn't have to be completely MS or completely carrier driven/controlled. Could be the firmware update checks acknowledge/respect the carrier the phone is on. This is really not different then how we could all have Windows 10, but different builds, and still have a relatively common "Store" for app updates. ATT and carriers being prime example of using MS Store to distribute/update ATT specific apps through the store.

If more excited to test this theory, I would pull my ATT sim and do a hard reset and then setup on wifi only (not carrier) as then I should get the firmware update if it was carrier specific control of the approval of the new firmware. Unless of course firmware updates will download via WIFI but only once there is a active SIM with data service on a carrier that it uses to gauge the carrier you are on in determining the firmware your receive.

joeonsunset

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Not sure how it could not be imagined that a unlocked phone on a specific carrier could be prevented from getting a "universal" firmware. Update system doesn't have to be completely MS or completely carrier driven/controlled. Could be the firmware update checks acknowledge/respect the carrier the phone is on. This is really not different then how we could all have Windows 10, but different builds, and still have a relatively common "Store" for app updates. ATT and carriers being prime example of using MS Store to distribute/update ATT specific apps through the store.

I mean, sure, there is a possible universe where Microsoft detects the network the SIM in the phone is registered to and uses that to determine whether or not to push an update. As opposed just the IMEI of the device being registered in their database as locked to a particular carrier. (I seriously doubt it as there has been no evidence of that behavior in the past, but, I can't prove it doesn't happen. Phones have a carrier setting built into them, however, and you can find yours in the About screen on any Windows Phone. This doesn't change no matter what network the phone is registered to. Moreover, the dual-sim 950XL would have to obey a more-restrictive-of-both-networks logic in your scenario, I suppose?)

I am fairly certain that the carrier section of the App Store is handled by IMEI or the carrier setting in the phone as well, and is not dependent on the SIM/network the phone is registered to.

Lastly, it seems like you can now get the XL firmware update with the Windows Device Recovery Tool, suggesting that it can't be too important for them to keep people on US carriers off of that firmware.

Last edited:

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No update still, 3 network UK sim free from MS.

Gonna wait it out, pretty sure the chaps and chapesses at MS are all back in work after the Xmas break and looking at sorting this. Getting bad enough press as it is with the weird stock issues at AmazoN/CPW etc, so pretty sure they will be eager to get the new firmware to all. Doing a hard reset is a last resort for me as my phone is working ok.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how it could not be imagined that a unlocked phone on a specific carrier could be prevented from getting a "universal" firmware.

Simply because it wasn't the case that the carriers were involved in releasing the phone in the first place.

It's not that it can't be imagined that the carriers are involved; it's the level of disbelief we'd have to get to in order to imagine such a case.

I can imagine Superman can fly, but only by completely suspending my disbelief as I watch the movie. I'm not willing to suspend my disbelief entirely and acknowledge that a phone that was conceived, designed, engineered, built, and sold COMPLETELY outside the carriers "suddenly" requires carrier approval. This is the real world, not a comic book adventure.

bjd223

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
They are rolling it out to unlocked phones by region and IMEI# so they don't accidently brick everyone's phone at once.

Once they release it in your region, you'll have to wait till they release it for your IMEI.

Unfortunately, North America will probably be last.

P.S. If any WPCentral devs read this, your WYSIWYG editor is garbage.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
They are rolling it out to unlocked phones by region and IMEI# so they don't accidently brick everyone's phone at once.

Once they release it in your region, you'll have to wait till they release it for your IMEI.

Unfortunately, North America will probably be last.

P.S. If any WPCentral devs read this, your WYSIWYG editor is garbage.

I said exactly the same thing a number of posts ago - laid it all out for everyone - carrier vs unlocked etc. Unfortunately, People read what they want to read, and invent their own facts to support the argument they want to - your sensible post will go completely unnoticed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb