02-25-2016 01:40 PM
287 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Okay, I'm just a little bit sheepish for whinging for the last few days, as the update is here in the US for unlocked 950 XL's, and its installing as I type (and I finally received my Display Adapter from MS today too!), In my defense, Microsoft did its usual poor job of communicating and I had been conditioned under the old paradigm wherein some US carries sat on firmware upgrades for more than a year. Microsoft still has difficulty getting the word out. Sometimes its correct to think the poor communication serves a hidden agenda, as when they are trying to put everyone asleep over some bad news. But even when there's good news, even on a central front like Windows as a Service Continual Upgrading, they just can't come right out and say it. Like, "it should only be a few days or weeks at most". Happy to have been revealed as a whinger, though.
    01-06-2016 03:44 PM
    Don't mix up firmware and OS update folks... not talking about .36 here.
    01-06-2016 03:49 PM
    I just got a reply on Twitter from Jason at MSFT. As suspected, WI's arent getting this right now.
    "Correct, it is not published to the Insider update server. I've posed an inquiry about this to the team."
    Makes sense now. I always assumed same server and that Insider gave "permission" to download update, but from his comment totally different server so insider app must change path to server for updates.
    01-06-2016 03:51 PM
    950 XL dual sim unlocked, from Mexico, build .36 on insider, just got the firmware update
    01-06-2016 04:04 PM
    950XL Windows Insider, Canada
    Current: OS Build 10.0.10586.36, FW 01078.00017.15454.29005
    5:18pm EDT ... checked still no firmware update
    01-06-2016 04:21 PM
    950xl, insider, US. No firmware update :(

Not seeing it on the recovery program either.
    jlangner, Allen Rhodes and rxc13 like this.
    01-06-2016 05:05 PM
    Canada, 950XL, slow ring insider. No firmware update.

Will it come to insiders eventually? This whole "insiders" thing has been nothing but a huge regret. Having to do hard resets every time an update is released is a joke. I'm on my 2nd already and to consider a 3rd hard reset is unbelievable.
    01-06-2016 05:21 PM
    I reset mine just yesterday so I wont be doing it again anytime soon, so hopefully they have it available for the Insiders soon!
    01-06-2016 05:24 PM
    Canada, 950XL, slow ring insider. No firmware update.

Will it come to insiders eventually? This whole "insiders" thing has been nothing but a huge regret. Having to do hard resets every time an update is released is a joke. I'm on my 2nd already and to consider a 3rd hard reset is unbelievable.
    My question is why would you do insider with a phone that came with W10. Just reset and don't sign up again. Simple fix.
    Andreas Lagos and rxc13 like this.
    01-06-2016 05:24 PM
    My question is why would you do insider with a phone that came with W10. Just reset and don't sign up again. Simple fix.
    Well, for one .36 had bug fixes related to wifi connectivity which was a major pain point to a lot of folks. "Just reset and don't sign up again" versus OTA update is a pretty big deal in terms of time commitment. Considering the actual purpose of the insiders program..the firmware should have come first to insiders IMHO.
    jlangner and bells0 like this.
    01-06-2016 06:12 PM
    Well, for one .36 had bug fixes related to wifi connectivity which was a major pain point to a lot of folks. "Just reset and don't sign up again" versus OTA update is a pretty big deal in terms of time commitment. Considering the actual purpose of the insiders program..the firmware should have come first to insiders IMHO.
    Then don't complain about it, it's very clear in the insider agreement what you're getting into.
    rxc13 likes this.
    01-06-2016 06:25 PM
    You'd think they would distribute the new firmware to insiders first, cause being in the insider program implies that you want the new stuff quickly and are willing to deal with possibly buggy releases.
    01-06-2016 06:27 PM
    What if you just get out of the Insider?
    01-06-2016 06:28 PM
    My 950XL just came in the mail today and I plan on setting it up once I get home. What I'm wondering is...if i set up the phone and not enroll into the Insider Program on my new 950XL, hopefully I'll get the latest updated firmware. From there, do you think enrolling into the Insider Program will allow me to get the OS .36 update? I'm leaning on no...but I want to be hopeful.
    01-06-2016 06:36 PM
    My 950XL just came in the mail today and I plan on setting it up once I get home. What I'm wondering is...if i set up the phone and not enroll into the Insider Program on my new 950XL, hopefully I'll get the latest updated firmware. From there, do you think enrolling into the Insider Program will allow me to get the OS .36 update? I'm leaning on no...but I want to be hopeful.
    Just set it up and all updated as stock first and then do insiders if you really want after and not worry about .36 or not.
    01-06-2016 06:49 PM
    What if you just get out of the Insider?
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. Opting out from the app simply removes you from the program for all devices including PC. It still leaves the phone enrolled pointing at the wrong server. The only way to really opt a device out is to do a Reset.
    01-06-2016 06:57 PM
    Unfortunately that doesn't work. Opting out from the app simply removes you from the program for all devices including PC. It still leaves the phone enrolled pointing at the wrong server. The only way to really opt a device out is to do a Reset.
    Or wait till MS fixes it.
    01-06-2016 07:14 PM
    From other hand, since a phone is clearly pointing to wrong (Insider) server how come it's not getting OS 36 update?
    01-06-2016 07:30 PM
    Nothing yet for my 950 XL. I reset it on December 20th and never re-joined insider. I wonder if they are just seeding again because I would hate to do a reset again to get the update.
    01-06-2016 07:35 PM
    We insiders are out of the firmware update, let's do a request on twitter to @NorthFaceHiker . It's unacceptable that MS has made this stupid decision to keep us with a 700$ phone rebooting and with the only solution to do a hard reset in order to get the firmware update. I have to remember to everybody that windows phone backup DOES NOT MAKE A FULL backup, so you lose apps specific data.. BE AWARE. Also if you decide to get out from insiders on a PC your computer set back to regular update servers. This is a must on phones also, so let's make a request to MS also.
    I think it's time to say to MS to respect the good jod insiders are doing to make a better windows mobile . We help them so they have to helps us. MS, we are the real supporters of the platform we deserve your best help and support
    Last edited by iosub; 01-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.
    01-06-2016 08:02 PM
    @NorthFaceHiker said they are "discussing" getting the firmware on the insiders server: (https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/s...72431824064512).

Hopefully this doesn't take weeks or never happen like the hard reset necessary to upgrade from the .0 OS build. If I have to hard reset yet again, I'm leaving insider on the phone until they get their act together.
    01-06-2016 08:08 PM
    Then don't complain about it, it's very clear in the insider agreement what you're getting into.
    I don't recall complaining..just stating the obvious. You asked why someone would do such a thing..I answered with one example of many reasons that would have compelled someone to do so. Further, MS missed an opportunity to use their loyal fans who are enrolled in the insider program to test the firmware before rolling out to the general public. Dropped ball on MS' part on that IMHO. Given the MS tweet response that they were looking into why the insider program has not been included in the firmware...it seems it was not intentional and indeed a miscue by someone. That being the case, I think we can expect it to be rectified shortly...but pointing out the mistake in the mean time is certainly justified.
    01-06-2016 09:09 PM
    I don't recall complaining..just stating the obvious. You asked why someone would do such a thing..I answered with one example of many reasons that would have compelled someone to do so. Further, MS missed an opportunity to use their loyal fans who are enrolled in the insider program to test the firmware before rolling out to the general public. Dropped ball on MS' part on that IMHO. Given the MS tweet response that they were looking into why the insider program has not been included in the firmware...it seems it was not intentional and indeed a miscue by someone. That being the case, I think we can expect it to be rectified shortly...but pointing out the mistake in the mean time is certainly justified.
    I completely agree with you,to be part of the insiders program add the right to complaint and give feedback in order to improve the program and the product. We are not just beta testers are opinions are welcome and our complaints should take care. So this fault not releasing a firmware update it's a bug that should be reported. So let tweet and report to ms
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    01-06-2016 09:27 PM
    @NorthFaceHiker said they are "discussing" getting the firmware on the insiders server: (https://twitter.com/NorthFaceHiker/s...72431824064512).

Hopefully this doesn't take weeks or never happen like the hard reset necessary to upgrade from the .0 OS build. If I have to hard reset yet again, I'm leaving insider on the phone until they get their act together.
    I've been on .36 for a few weeks now. Last night the new firmware pushed to my device. It came via Wu, with no insider action. 950xl on at&t in Seattle
    01-07-2016 07:08 AM
    You were complaining about the resets you had to do, and thats what i was referring to.
    rxc13 likes this.
    01-07-2016 07:51 AM
287 ... 45678 ...