02-25-2016 02:40 PM
287 ... 56789 ...
tools
    Update from Jason: "I don't expect it will be on the Insider servers this week. If you want it ASAP, reset is the way to go".
    01-07-2016 12:26 PM
    We need a working method to opt-out of Insider without having to reset the device. Along with Fast and Slow there needs to be a "Discontinue Insider Builds" choice.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    01-07-2016 12:41 PM
    Very simple...backup phone, hard reset, firmware update notification to download, restore phone to insider .36. DONE!
    Let's hope there is noticeable differences...fingers crossed.
    01-07-2016 01:09 PM
    I am on Insider, ATT. I am not getting the 36 update. How can I make sure it will work after the reset?
    01-07-2016 01:10 PM
    Very simple...backup phone, hard reset, firmware update notification to download, restore phone to insider .36. DONE!
    Let's hope there is noticeable differences...fingers crossed.
    but, with this method you have to reload all applications, reenter all passwords, and is very time-consuming
    01-07-2016 01:18 PM
    but, with this method you have to reload all applications, reenter all passwords, and is very time-consuming
    Damn right it is. Plus transferring back any media you had, linking contacts, customizing notifications etc. The whole process even after restoring a backup still takes a couple hrs on top of the couple hours to reinstall all apps again. Not ideal at all.
    01-07-2016 01:21 PM
    They aren't yet saying it wont be on the WIUS, they are "continuing discussions"......
    01-07-2016 01:29 PM
    If I actually had a problem that I KNEW the firmware update addressed, AND that fix was something that I wanted bad enough, then I suppose I would do the Hard Rest and back-out of Insider completely.

But I can wait until this delay is addressed by Microsoft because every time I look over at my 950XL and consider what isn't working I can't actually come up with anything pressing.
    01-07-2016 01:32 PM
    You were complaining about the resets you had to do, and thats what i was referring to.
    erm, no..I wasn't complaining. I was explaining why "just reset" was a worse option than having an OTA update. Again, stating the obvious (I thought, at least).
    01-07-2016 01:44 PM
    erm, no..I wasn't complaining. I was explaining why "just reset" was a worse option than having an OTA update. Again, stating the obvious (I thought, at least).
    Sorry, that was another guy i originally responded to, that you must have jumped o.
    01-07-2016 01:48 PM
    I received my 950XL yesterday in the mail. As soon as I got it, I performed a hard reset before I set up anything with the phone. Next, after the hard reset, I began to update the phone. The phone updated to OS .29 and the newest firmware just released. I plan to set up the Insider on my new phone today but I doubt it'll pick up the .36 OS update.
    01-07-2016 02:01 PM
    Sorry, that was another guy i originally responded to, that you must have jumped o.
    no worries :)
    01-07-2016 02:20 PM
    If I actually had a problem that I KNEW the firmware update addressed, AND that fix was something that I wanted bad enough, then I suppose I would do the Hard Rest and back-out of Insider completely.

But I can wait until this delay is addressed by Microsoft because every time I look over at my 950XL and consider what isn't working I can't actually come up with anything pressing.
    Yeah that's where I ended up. I really wanted the camera fix (and it's much improved, btw). I haven't gone back to insider so my 5ghz wifi is screwed up again but I figure .36 is probably going to be general release fairly soon.
    01-07-2016 02:27 PM
    My Canadian 950 pick up new firmware today, now the firmware is 15506.02004 now.OS still .29 though.
    01-07-2016 03:55 PM
    My non-insider 950 is on the premium partner AT&T so it's not getting the firmware update. My unlocked 950XL is on insider, so it's not getting the firmware. Can't win, can I?
    TheBadGuy_88 and rxc13 like this.
    01-07-2016 07:10 PM
    So, is the story now that if your device IS on the Insider Program you have to hard reset it to get the firmware update to roll to your device?
    01-07-2016 07:14 PM
    So, is the story now that if your device IS on the Insider Program you have to hard reset it to get the firmware update to roll to your device?
    Seems that way.

capture.png
    01-07-2016 09:21 PM
    Before you hard reset, check Windows Device Recovery Tool (WDRT) as if it doesn't see the firmware update for your phone, you won't get it with the rest according to Jason (@NorthFaceHiker) on his twitter feed. He states WDRT doesn't care if you are an insider or not. It has kept me from doing a hard reset to get the firmware.
    01-07-2016 09:57 PM
    Crazy how fast this thread has grown, probably my most "popular" thread lol.

I'm just gonna wait it out, since I'm not having too much trouble with my Lumia 950 XL. The reason I started this thread is because I just didn't quite understand why when I was on Lumia 920 every update pretty much came straight away when they post it on Windows Central, but now I always seem to be getting them last. And I agree, insiders should be getting things first, that's the whole point, even for firmware update releases. So yeah, hopefully they'll get their stuff together soon.
    01-07-2016 10:23 PM
    I'm not on insider program and my firmware update pushed through yesterday. .29 OS
    01-07-2016 10:35 PM
    My 950XL was on Insider and OS build .36 and stuck on the original firmware. I got tired of waiting.

I did the following in sequence:
    - backup to OneDrive and copied off photos
    - settings..system..about..reset
    - fly thru the setup, no login. Check for updates. Let it install new firmware
    - reset again
    - this time, login and restore the backup and copy the photos back
    - spend next several hours waiting for apps to install, logging in to everything, fixing settings that didn't restore, watching things sync, and cursing Rovio because I have to start over with Angry Birds Go! again.

I hate to use the old clich, but it seems faster. A few days use should tell me if the occasional random reboot and occasional overheating have been fixed. That's about the only problems I've seen.

My wife's 950XL was also on Insider but stuck at OS build .29 and of course the old firmware. I hope that whatever they do for Insiders next week will clear that up.
    01-07-2016 11:28 PM
    For those that actually went through with the reset, do you consider the new firmware worth all the trouble?
    01-08-2016 03:02 AM
    It's ridiculous....

First they had issues so that people couldn't get .29 update without doing a reset and going the Insider route... Now they force us to do another reset to get rid of Insider so that we can get a firmware update.
    I really regret buying the Lumia 950XL.

If backing the phone up actually preserved all apps, passwords and stuff between the resets it would have been one thing, but as it is, I'm forced to re-authenticate various stuff every time I have to do a reset...
    Jason was full of **** regarding the .29 update and he's being full of **** regarding the firmware update now too...
    01-08-2016 05:05 AM
    Does any of this fix the woeful battery life issues?!

I can't justify doing a full hard reset without knowing it solves the biggest issue I have with this phone. Still shocked that after 2 years what I have is a phone that I have to carry around a charger with me EVERYWHERE I go. Doesn't help that nowhere stocks official USB Type-C cables yet...
    01-08-2016 05:55 AM
    Does any of this fix the woeful battery life issues?!

I can't justify doing a full hard reset without knowing it solves the biggest issue I have with this phone. Still shocked that after 2 years what I have is a phone that I have to carry around a charger with me EVERYWHERE I go. Doesn't help that nowhere stocks official USB Type-C cables yet...
    What do you consider woeful? And how would you categorize your usage?
    01-08-2016 08:57 AM
287 ... 56789 ...