Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
After finally getting the newest win 10 preview mobile update, this time I'm not getting the firmware update for my Canadian 950 XL that supposedly was "released" since last week. Anybody else having the same issue?

Not that I'm in huge need of this firmware update since my 950 XL is working quite well after the preview update (or even before that to be honest), but I'm just curious about why updates are pushing in a less-efficient fashion these days compared to when I was on the 920, everytime an update was announced I could get it pretty much instantly.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
After finally getting the newest win 10 preview mobile update, this time I'm not getting the firmware update for my Canadian 950 XL that supposedly was "released" since last week. Anybody else having the same issue?

Not that I'm in huge need of this firmware update since my 950 XL is working quite well after the preview update (or even before that to be honest), but I'm just curious about why updates are pushing in a less-efficient fashion these days compared to when I was on the 920, everytime an update was announced I could get it pretty much instantly.

I don't think anyone in US or Canada has received yet. It was announced it was a gradual rollout, not everyone gets at same time.

bilemke

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Thus lending to the rumors that carriers may have some say with firmware releases.

Looking for news post, maybe on another site, but fairly certain ATT has already commented (not just rumor) that MS in in charge of OS updates. But firmware is still MS + Carrier approval. With that said, ATT... windows device firmware updates, not surprised if on ATT you haven't seen the update. And yeah, unlocked device on ATT plan/sim/network is still a device on ATT network. I could easily see them being able to control the firmware update to your unlocked device because of it being on their network. Would just block data path (proxy filter, etc) to the firmware update only, vs firmware and os updates both.

Or, ATT or other US carrier is not that involved on this firmware update, and it is "the staged/gradual roll out". And other parts of world get it earlier in some cases while we wait. If you want to test the carrier part, and own a unlocked full, it would seem pulling the sim and doing a hard reset and then checking for updates without sim/carrier/cell involved (say via wifi only to your home internet connection) would be a way to test that theory. ;)

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
It's coming. Like Christmas, it might seem like a long wait at times. But someday soon, you'll be waiting for yet the next update.
The trick is to enjoy your most recent present(s), while you rest certain that it isn't your last.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I think us in Canada and the US will be waiting till Jan 2016 before we get the updated firmware.

The same situation is in Romania with phones from Orange network. When a bunch of idiots are responsible for the "so called" testing of the update, which btw is a total crap reason, we have to wait for weeks for the update.
I think I'll reflash my 950 with the European Non branded ROM and be done with this carrier delays.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
we have unlocked phones in canada.... what carrier approval?

Yeah, this is one of the more frustrating parts of having an unlocked phone.

Back in the WP8.1 days, Microsoft used to allocate update slots for firmware updates prioritised toward:
* handset/carriers that were selling best at the time
* carriers that had completed testing for a particular handset
* everything else

The net effect being that unlocked phones tended to be prioritised lower than carrier branded updates. I suppose that Microsoft could well be performing more tests on the unlocked firmware as they have to work on all carriers (as opposed to just the one).

I'm guessing that at some point, the updated firmware will be uploaded to WDRT.

Aurelink

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm guessing that at some point, the updated firmware will be uploaded to WDRT.

A guy told on another forum (a french one, that I browse really often) that it was the case.
I didn't check for myself, but I might, since I still didn't get the firmware update neither

qwertyops

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Did you get .36 while being on the Windows Insider slow/fast ring? I can't get it on Windows Insider at all on my 950XL. I have even done a hard reset to no joy. Frustrating.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Nothing in the UK for my unlocked direct from MS. On the 3 network. Seems to be live in the UK, but not triggering on mine.

.36 in preview

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
os .36, carrier Rogers in Canada, not getting it.

Canadian carriers don't care much for these phones and if they have to test may not prioritize. I think Ms needs to get testing facilities for all carriers and prove tests passed and then go on with it. But again if this requires any intervention and given that most people are still away on holidays, it won't be till after 2016 for most people.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Looking for news post, maybe on another site, but fairly certain ATT has already commented (not just rumor) that MS in in charge of OS updates. But firmware is still MS + Carrier approval. With that said, ATT... windows device firmware updates, not surprised if on ATT you haven't seen the update. And yeah, unlocked device on ATT plan/sim/network is still a device on ATT network. I could easily see them being able to control the firmware update to your unlocked device because of it being on their network. Would just block data path (proxy filter, etc) to the firmware update only, vs firmware and os updates both.

Or, ATT or other US carrier is not that involved on this firmware update, and it is "the staged/gradual roll out". And other parts of world get it earlier in some cases while we wait. If you want to test the carrier part, and own a unlocked full, it would seem pulling the sim and doing a hard reset and then checking for updates without sim/carrier/cell involved (say via wifi only to your home internet connection) would be a way to test that theory. ;)

OS updates: Microsoft via OTA, carriers are not involved at all
Firmware updates with changes affecting antenna: carriers via OTA
Firmware updates with drivers not related to antenna: Microsoft via OTA

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb