Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

sudakoma

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
No chance of it updating overnight and not realising??

Sim free UK users, what is your firmware?? - mine is 01078.00017.15452.59011

Finally got the firmware update today from WDRT. Unlocked 950XL from MS UK store. It means a hard reset if you go down this route so make sure you back up first. Once the firmware update is done there will be 2 OS updates to install to bring you up to date with latest 10586.36 version.

Firmware is now 01078.00027.15506.02012

Ryan Spooner

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't getting the firmware OTA, but I can confirm the WDRT does indeed give your device the new firmware.

2016-01-02.png

Edit: Well, gutted. I can't get my 950 XL to stay in flashing mode long enough for WDRT to apply the software and firmware. It reboots the phone into flashing mode, then it just reboots back into normal mode again straight away with WDRT saying failure. :(

Last edited:

Sander_K

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't getting the firmware OTA, but I can confirm the WDRT does indeed give your device the new firmware.

Edit: Well, gutted. I can't get my 950 XL to stay in flashing mode long enough for WDRT to apply the software and firmware. It reboots the phone into flashing mode, then it just reboots back into normal mode again straight away with WDRT saying failure. :(

I had the same issue with my 930, running WDRT as administrator solved it for me. (right click the executable, run as administrator)

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
OS updates: Microsoft via OTA, carriers are not involved at all
Firmware updates with changes affecting antenna: carriers via OTA
Firmware updates with drivers not related to antenna: Microsoft via OTA

So tell me this: why are they involving the carriers at all on a phone that is sold ONLY straight from MS, unlocked, and NOT through the carriers at all?

If they can CREATE a phone to industry standards without involving the carriers, and then sell it directly without any involvement of the carriers, why are they beholden to the carriers when it comes time to update that phone?

Something smells here. Sell me a phone and tell me to put whatever SIM I want into it, but then hold back on fixing what's broken because "oh no, only the carrier can allow that"? I call BS.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
But the carriers didn't have any say at all in the creation and sale of the phone. MS built it to industry standards, then sold it directly to end users who then use it on whatever network they want. Why all of the sudden are the carriers in charge?

I call pure BS here.

All the changes to software related to antenna need carrier approval, even if you don't like it.

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
But the carriers didn't have any say at all in the creation and sale of the phone. MS built it to industry standards, then sold it directly to end users who then use it on whatever network they want. Why all of the sudden are the carriers in charge?

I call pure BS here.

People are getting confused here. Phones sold directly from Microsoft as 'SIM-free' will get updated without carrier involvement (including firmware). Phones sold through the carrier will likely only get Firmware updates once the carrier has tested and approved them.

On top of that, the current firmware update appears to be rolling out in a phased manner - likely by region, and then IMEI number so even if you have a 'sim free' phone you may STILL be waiting for the firmware because:

1. Your region (where the phone was distributed by MS/sold NOT where it physically is) isn't being rolled out yet (US, for example).

2. Your region is not being rolled out yet, but your IMEI is further down the list.

3. You are an insider - appears many insiders are not getting it.

4. Your phone is defective!

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
People are getting confused here. Phones sold directly from Microsoft as 'SIM-free' will get updated without carrier involvement (including firmware). Phones sold through the carrier will likely only get Firmware updates once the carrier has tested and approved them.

On top of that, the current firmware update appears to be rolling out in a phased manner - likely by region, and then IMEI number so even if you have a 'sim free' phone you may STILL be waiting for the firmware because:

1. Your region (where the phone was distributed by MS/sold, NOT where it physically is now) isn't being rolled out yet (US, for example).

2. Your region is not being rolled out yet, but your IMEI is further down the list.

3. You are an insider - appears many insiders are not getting it.

4. Your phone is defective!

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
All the changes to software related to antenna need carrier approval, even if you don't like it.

Did they need carrier approval to be created in the first place? Or did MS simply create a phone to standards, sell it unlocked in their store, and let the users plug in whatever SIM they wanted and get whatever the carriers chose to give? For example, no LTE on AT&T, no band 12 or visual voicemail or wifi calling on T-Mobile, etc.

They created a phone to standards, without carrier involvement. Tell us again why carriers suddenly "need to be involved".

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Did they need carrier approval to be created in the first place? Or did MS simply create a phone to standards, sell it unlocked in their store, and let the users plug in whatever SIM they wanted and get whatever the carriers chose to give? For example, no LTE on AT&T, no band 12 or visual voicemail or wifi calling on T-Mobile, etc.

They created a phone to standards, without carrier involvement. Tell us again why carriers suddenly "need to be involved".

A phone locked to AT&T, for example, only need the AT&T approval because it is an AT&T phone, the firmware is tested by ATT and it is supposed that it will use an AT&T SIM. An unlocked phone can use a SIM from several carriers and the firmware need the approval from the carriers from that country, because it can use a SIM from that carriers, that's the reason why unlocked phones are the latest receiving firmware updates, even on WP8.0 and 8.1.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
But you haven't answered my question:

the phone was created, and its firmware was created, originally WITHOUT any specific carrier approval--and then MS sold it, completely unlocked, to any and all takers--completely OUTSIDE the carriers themselves.

So here we have a 950XL--this is the 950XL forum after all, and the 950XL was never sold by any US carriers--950XL that never touched the carriers--and we're allowed to put the SIM card in and use it on those carriers, any and all of them with which it is compatible with regard to the frequencies and standards for which it was created.

So why does the 950XL SUDDENLY require "carrier approval" to do something that MS did originally WITHOUT carrier approval?

You keep mentioning AT&T. I never said "a phone locked to AT&T". YOU did. This is a Windows forum, and this subforum is specifically 950XL--which was never sold by AT&T. 950 is sold by AT&T as an AT&T phone; head over to the 950 subforum to talk about that one. Let's stick with the 950XL here, a phone which was NEVER SOLD BY A CARRIER IN THE US.

So tell us all, why suddenly a phone that was never sold by a carrier in the US, which was designed and built without any carrier input whatsoever, suddenly demands carrier approval "because you're mucking with the antenna" when the silly antenna and radio firmware was originally designed AND RELEASED without the carriers AT ALL?

I think you're crazy for holding on to this argument that "you don't have the firmware yet because it requires carrier approval". No, it doesn't. It didn't to begin with, and this is no different.

And in the meantime, users are held hostage to broken features that the firmware will fix--if only MS would release it to end users the same way they released the phone to end users, without carrier involvement.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
But you haven't answered my question:

the phone was created, and its firmware was created, originally WITHOUT any specific carrier approval--and then MS sold it, completely unlocked, to any and all takers--completely OUTSIDE the carriers themselves.

So here we have a 950XL--this is the 950XL forum after all, and the 950XL was never sold by any US carriers--950XL that never touched the carriers--and we're allowed to put the SIM card in and use it on those carriers, any and all of them with which it is compatible with regard to the frequencies and standards for which it was created.

So why does the 950XL SUDDENLY require "carrier approval" to do something that MS did originally WITHOUT carrier approval?

You keep mentioning AT&T. I never said "a phone locked to AT&T". YOU did. This is a Windows forum, and this subforum is specifically 950XL--which was never sold by AT&T. 950 is sold by AT&T as an AT&T phone; head over to the 950 subforum to talk about that one. Let's stick with the 950XL here, a phone which was NEVER SOLD BY A CARRIER IN THE US.

So tell us all, why suddenly a phone that was never sold by a carrier in the US, which was designed and built without any carrier input whatsoever, suddenly demands carrier approval "because you're mucking with the antenna" when the silly antenna and radio firmware was originally designed AND RELEASED without the carriers AT ALL?

I think you're crazy for holding on to this argument that "you don't have the firmware yet because it requires carrier approval". No, it doesn't. It didn't to begin with, and this is no different.

And in the meantime, users are held hostage to broken features that the firmware will fix--if only MS would release it to end users the same way they released the phone to end users, without carrier involvement.

You are confusing technical arguments with contractual and/or PR-related ones. There is almost certainly verbiage in the contract between AT&T and MS for the carriage of the 950's that any radio-affecting firmware updates will need to be validated in some way by AT&T before they are released on AT&T-locked phones. I would be shocked if this was not the case. That would only directly apply to 950's of course, but by extension the U.S. market 950XL's since they are in the same market and MS would not want to update one and not the other in the U.S. if possible. IMHO this is the most likely explanation of the extremely slow rollout of the firmware...they are buying time for AT&T to do their validation and using other markets as beta testers to some degree for the U.S. phones.

Adam Frix

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
You are confusing technical arguments with contractual and/or PR-related ones. There is almost certainly verbiage in the contract between AT&T and MS for the carriage of the 950's that any radio-affecting firmware updates will need to be validated in some way by AT&T before they are released on AT&T-locked phones. I would be shocked if this was not the case. That would only directly apply to 950's of course, but by extension the U.S. market 950XL's since they are in the same market and MS would not want to update one and not the other in the U.S. if possible. IMHO this is the most likely explanation of the extremely slow rollout of the firmware...they are buying time for AT&T to do their validation and using other markets as beta testers to some degree for the U.S. phones.

So I'm right in that MS can certainly update the firmware of the 950XL without any carrier approval.

But if MS has chosen a political reason to deny such updates to non-AT&T users, that's just the final nail in the "unlocked MS phone" coffin as far as I'm concerned.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
So I'm right in that MS can certainly update the firmware of the 950XL without any carrier approval.

But if MS has chosen a political reason to deny such updates to non-AT&T users, that's just the final nail in the "unlocked MS phone" coffin as far as I'm concerned.

That's my assessment of the situation, yes. I have no actual proof but it seems the most logical from my point of view ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans