Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Unlocked dual sim 950XL in texas with ATT carrier, running on 10586.29 - not on insider preview -
current firmware: 01078.00017.15454.29005 H/W version 4.0.3.1

manually checked earlier this afternoon and...

update available - no idea what the revision is until i decide to go home and download it :)

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I just got a reply on Twitter from Jason at MSFT. As suspected, WI's arent getting this right now.
"Correct, it is not published to the Insider update server. I've posed an inquiry about this to the team."

mmcpher

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I'm just a little bit sheepish for whinging for the last few days, as the update is here in the US for unlocked 950 XL's, and its installing as I type (and I finally received my Display Adapter from MS today too!), In my defense, Microsoft did its usual poor job of communicating and I had been conditioned under the old paradigm wherein some US carries sat on firmware upgrades for more than a year. Microsoft still has difficulty getting the word out. Sometimes its correct to think the poor communication serves a hidden agenda, as when they are trying to put everyone asleep over some bad news. But even when there's good news, even on a central front like Windows as a Service Continual Upgrading, they just can't come right out and say it. Like, "it should only be a few days or weeks at most". Happy to have been revealed as a whinger, though.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I just got a reply on Twitter from Jason at MSFT. As suspected, WI's arent getting this right now.
"Correct, it is not published to the Insider update server. I've posed an inquiry about this to the team."

Makes sense now. I always assumed same server and that Insider gave "permission" to download update, but from his comment totally different server so insider app must change path to server for updates.

gerbir21

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
950XL Windows Insider, Canada
Current: OS Build 10.0.10586.36, FW 01078.00017.15454.29005
5:18pm EDT ... checked still no firmware update

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Canada, 950XL, slow ring insider. No firmware update.

Will it come to insiders eventually? This whole "insiders" thing has been nothing but a huge regret. Having to do hard resets every time an update is released is a joke. I'm on my 2nd already and to consider a 3rd hard reset is unbelievable.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I reset mine just yesterday so I wont be doing it again anytime soon, so hopefully they have it available for the Insiders soon!

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Canada, 950XL, slow ring insider. No firmware update.

Will it come to insiders eventually? This whole "insiders" thing has been nothing but a huge regret. Having to do hard resets every time an update is released is a joke. I'm on my 2nd already and to consider a 3rd hard reset is unbelievable.

My question is why would you do insider with a phone that came with W10. Just reset and don't sign up again. Simple fix.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
My question is why would you do insider with a phone that came with W10. Just reset and don't sign up again. Simple fix.

Well, for one .36 had bug fixes related to wifi connectivity which was a major pain point to a lot of folks. "Just reset and don't sign up again" versus OTA update is a pretty big deal in terms of time commitment. Considering the actual purpose of the insiders program..the firmware should have come first to insiders IMHO.

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, for one .36 had bug fixes related to wifi connectivity which was a major pain point to a lot of folks. "Just reset and don't sign up again" versus OTA update is a pretty big deal in terms of time commitment. Considering the actual purpose of the insiders program..the firmware should have come first to insiders IMHO.

Then don't complain about it, it's very clear in the insider agreement what you're getting into.

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
You'd think they would distribute the new firmware to insiders first, cause being in the insider program implies that you want the new stuff quickly and are willing to deal with possibly buggy releases.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL just came in the mail today and I plan on setting it up once I get home. What I'm wondering is...if i set up the phone and not enroll into the Insider Program on my new 950XL, hopefully I'll get the latest updated firmware. From there, do you think enrolling into the Insider Program will allow me to get the OS .36 update? I'm leaning on no...but I want to be hopeful.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My 950XL just came in the mail today and I plan on setting it up once I get home. What I'm wondering is...if i set up the phone and not enroll into the Insider Program on my new 950XL, hopefully I'll get the latest updated firmware. From there, do you think enrolling into the Insider Program will allow me to get the OS .36 update? I'm leaning on no...but I want to be hopeful.

Just set it up and all updated as stock first and then do insiders if you really want after and not worry about .36 or not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99