Anyone still not getting the 950 XL firmware update?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I went into insider application clicked on settings, opted out, confirmed, uninstalled insider program...used WDRT to set my device (USA) to Firmware 15506.02005
OS 10586.13058

restoring my back up now...if this works I will never use the insider app again, the download of the package is brutal on the phone and hardly ever work and you get stuck at 0%, 5%.... WDRT seems much more stable and fast. I get it may be a few builds behind, but I don't trust MSFT to not screw up the builds. I would be more of a guinea pig if the insider app didn't suck so bad at getting updates to the phone and have such horrible user interface as to the progress of what is really going on with the downloads.

I was extremely reluctant to join the Insider because I didn’t want to have to do a hard reset. I did it once on my 920 (because I had no other options), and even after backing up my apps I found that A LOT of data was missing that I had entered – the real problem is that I found out at a time that I really needed what WAS there.

But, I ran across this delightful piece of information: Windows Insider app now lets you leave the program without a hard reset ? WinBeta - and decided to take a chance. I “think” I am glad I did, time will tell, but I was not happy with build .29 and all the problems I was having with my Bluetooth so I figured WTF!

Like I said: I back right out of INSIDER, immediately after receiving the updates (I don’t have the brass that some of these brave sole has) – thanks to the newly added “Leave Insider” option in the lower right corner (under the ellipsis), of the App.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Seriously though, if you don't like doing hard resets, you really shouldnt put your phone on the Insider Program IMO. It's beta software and its to be expected.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Seriously though, if you don't like doing hard resets, you really shouldnt put your phone on the Insider Program IMO. It's beta software and its to be expected.

Mark, you are absolutely CORRECT, and if I hadn’t run across that article I will assure you I would not have :)

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I Didn't opt out. I uninstalled and reinstalled the insider app. Did an update and now I'm at .36. Now, if I could just figure out with the updates are. :/

gerbir21

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded the Windows Insider app to the newest version. Opted out of the program and attempted to check for updates (for the newest firmware). Still no firmware detected. Anyone else out there in the same boat? If so, do you know of any workarounds (other than hard reset... trying to avoid if possible)

Currently running 950XL unlocked (Canada), OS build 10.0.10586.63
Firmware 01078.00017.15454.29005

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded the Windows Insider app to the newest version. Opted out of the program and attempted to check for updates (for the newest firmware). Still no firmware detected. Anyone else out there in the same boat? If so, do you know of any workarounds (other than hard reset... trying to avoid if possible)

Currently running 950XL unlocked (Canada), OS build 10.0.10586.63
Firmware 01078.00017.15454.29005

From what I've read, I believe you also have to uninstall the app. Then you can reinstall it after you get the firmware update.

Xaxxus

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
if you want it desperately, download the windows phone recovery tool. You can flash the latest firmware onto your phone with that bypassing the slow rollout entirely.

supposedly the insider preview will also get you the update. But it was bugging out for me and would not let me update at all. I had to wipe my phone and restore it with the recovery tool before I could use the insider preview to upgrade my device to the latest version.

Aanze

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
if you want it desperately, download the windows phone recovery tool. You can flash the latest firmware onto your phone with that bypassing the slow rollout entirely.

supposedly the insider preview will also get you the update. But it was bugging out for me and would not let me update at all. I had to wipe my phone and restore it with the recovery tool before I could use the insider preview to upgrade my device to the latest version.

Agreed, if you want it, don't bother fighting with Insider install/uninstall/opt out.. etc.. Just flash the firmware and then reinstall Windows Insider app if you want to get the latest release on top of it.
I flashed the files found on xda forums:
[Lumia 550/950/XL] Generic EU FFU image flas… | Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
what are you talking about? people have posted FIRMWARE and OS builds... here it is 01078.00027.15506.02005 just look through this thread :wink:

gerbir21

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
From what I've read, I believe you also have to uninstall the app. Then you can reinstall it after you get the firmware update.

Thanks for the feedback. Uninstalled the app but still unable to get the the firmware ��.

UPDATE: Please disregard... finally got it going. After checking Reddit, I noticed some users reporting that I should see "Program - Threshold" after leaving the Insider program. I reinstalled Windows insider, selected Fast build, tried running an update (already on .63), then left the program. This time I received an MS login prompt using a secondary email address that I have setup on the phone. I logged in with my primary MS account. I then received a prompt noting I left the Insiders program and that my program is now set to 'Threshold'. Checked for updates and sure enough, the firmware started downloading. Hard reset averted... phew :)

Last edited:

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. Uninstalled the app but still unable to get the the firmware ��.

UPDATE: Please disregard... finally got it going. After checking Reddit, I noticed some users reporting that I should see "Program - Threshold" after leaving the Insider program. I reinstalled Windows insider, selected Fast build, tried running an update (already on .63), then left the program. This time I received an MS login prompt using a secondary email address that I have setup on the phone. I logged in with my primary MS account. I then received a prompt noting I left the Insiders program and that my program is now set to 'Threshold'. Checked for updates and sure enough, the firmware started downloading. Hard reset averted... phew :)
I get to the Program Threshold screen. But then in Phone Update, there is no new download!

After your Threshold update, what is the new firmware #? Thanks

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos