With my prior Windows phones, I could use any piece of junk Micro USB cable with any piece of junk USB wall adapter. I am finding that is NOT the case with my 950 XL and USB-C cables.

My MS out of the box USB-C cable works with one of my USB wall adapters (5V 400 mAh out) but not my 5V 1000 mAh out wall adapter.

My generic USB-C cable works with the opposite. I also noticed when I attached the wall adapter, even if it's not plugged into the wall, I get the 'charging' icon and my phone vibrates. I understand USB-C is a totally different technology, but I was hoping to find a cheap adapter.

Long story short: can I actually do any damage by mixing and matching cables with wall adapters until I find one that charges? And: is there a 'good' wall adapter out there someone can recommend? I know the Aukey ones are pretty popular. I'm still learning a little about USB-C charging and the QC 2.0 charging as well.
    12-29-2015 05:10 PM
    I recommend you use the charger that came with the phone as that is the best for your phone.
    12-30-2015 01:41 AM
    12-30-2015 01:48 AM
    I recommend you use the charger that came with the phone as that is the best for your phone.
    Problem is, I like to charge my phone at work and while on vacation. I don't really want to unplug it every morning when headed to work.
    12-30-2015 09:43 AM
    Problem is, I like to charge my phone at work and while on vacation. I don't really want to unplug it every morning when headed to work.
    did you check the Amazon link I posted?
    12-30-2015 09:57 AM
    did you check the Amazon link I posted?
    I did, much appreciated and I will likely purchase it. I guess the next question is... what cable do I pair with it?
    12-30-2015 10:20 AM
    12-30-2015 11:24 AM
    Pulled the trigger on this one: Buy Ventev Wallport Q1200 Wall Charger with USB Type-C Cable - Microsoft Store

I had a $20 promo credit, so it was reasonably priced, especially considering it includes the cable.
    01-05-2016 12:53 PM
    Already received it with free shipping. That was quick.
    01-06-2016 03:55 PM
    I bought the same. I wish it were smaller, but it works and seems to be good build quality.

I also bought their rapid charge car adapter.
    01-06-2016 04:02 PM
    You can definitely damage the charger (more likely) or the phone with poorly designed cables that are out of spec, which many are. USB-C devices negotiate power needs before charging. USB-A doesn't have the same wires as USB-C. It can't perform that same negotiation. Because of this, USB-A to USB-C cables are required to have a specific resistor so that the charger can recognize that it isn't connected to a USB-C device and know how much power to deliver.

This is also why if you use a USB-A to USB-C cable, you're never going to get the full charging speeds (which is why it's ridiculous that Microsoft's store suggests using that type of cable).

I'd suggest switching over to USB-C native chargers for best results. Personally, I wanted a charger with a removable cable, and with folding prongs because that works best in a travel bag... and this Tronsmart 33W one fit the bill perfectly: Amazon.com: USB Type C Charger,Tronsmart 33W Dual USB Turbo Wall Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology for Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X (5V/3A): Cell Phones & Accessories . It's a little big larger than I'd like, but since I had zero luck with Google's dual-port charger with the Display Dock, there are literally no other options for what I was looking for.
    Witness likes this.
    01-06-2016 06:36 PM
    Get a display dock, comes with a wall charger :)
    01-06-2016 10:18 PM
    You can definitely damage the charger (more likely) or the phone with poorly designed cables that are out of spec, which many are. USB-C devices negotiate power needs before charging. USB-A doesn't have the same wires as USB-C. It can't perform that same negotiation. Because of this, USB-A to USB-C cables are required to have a specific resistor so that the charger can recognize that it isn't connected to a USB-C device and know how much power to deliver.

This is also why if you use a USB-A to USB-C cable, you're never going to get the full charging speeds (which is why it's ridiculous that Microsoft's store suggests using that type of cable).

I'd suggest switching over to USB-C native chargers for best results. Personally, I wanted a charger with a removable cable, and with folding prongs because that works best in a travel bag... and this Tronsmart 33W one fit the bill perfectly: Amazon.com: USB Type C Charger,Tronsmart 33W Dual USB Turbo Wall Charger with Quick Charge 3.0 Technology for Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X (5V/3A): Cell Phones & Accessories . It's a little big larger than I'd like, but since I had zero luck with Google's dual-port charger with the Display Dock, there are literally no other options for what I was looking for.
    It was also my understanding that a native USB-C charger is the 'best' route to go. The Ventev I got is a 5V 2.0A output, which is less than the 3.0 max. I'll probably keep it (can never have enough chargers for home, work and travel) and also buy a USB-C charger as well.
    01-07-2016 09:59 AM
    Get a display dock, comes with a wall charger :)
    Did that as well, but that's probably going to be permanently attached to my home theater system, which was the main purpose of me getting it.
    01-07-2016 09:59 AM
    08-22-2016 02:31 AM