Playing a game uses more power then it charges?!

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Treated myself an 950xl which arrived a couple of days before Christmas. Did a hard reset and didn't restore from previous backups. There is no more updates and had an os update yesterday hoping that it will fix my problem. Haven't installed much apps yet.

Basically, a new microsoft bingo game caught my eye which i downloaded and played. The battery drained was pretty quick and came up with battery low warning. So plugged in the battery charger from mains. Charging icon appears.

After a couple of minutes, phone switched off. Thought it was odd. Perhaps I disconnected the cable. Phone was very hot. Couldn't turn on, had to take battery out then back in again. Phone restarted.

Got to about 50% charge, curiously played the game again whilst still plugged in. The battery just keeps going down and down until its dead again!

This is the first time I have ever had where i am not to be able to use the phone whilst plugged in as power of phone is unable to charge itself quick enough! That cant be right can it?

Anyone else experienced that problem, or anyone playing that microsoft bingo game with no problems?

xbrtll

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I guess this can happen if the output current of the charger is not high enough. What is specified on the model you used? Does this happen with the one that came with the phone?

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I am using the original wall charger that came with the phone. I believe it's usb-C type connection. Just tried the same app on the Lumia 1020 (with it's own charger) and was able to charge the phone whilst playing the bingo game. So it's not the software that is the problem. The battery seems okay, quickly charging and can last 2 days if I am fugal. But when playing that game it just can't charge itself quick enough.

I dreading to think how it would cope with continuum running a bit more complicated software then a relatively simple bingo game!

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Something must be wrong with your phone.

My 950xl has no issues playing games. Right now I am playing Final Fantasy and I can go hours (literally) and still not have my battery drained.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Low battery warning is really low battery, if the game is using inernet or you have the display brightness high the battery will drain the remaining power even plugged to the charger.

Don't do that, if you are getting low battery warning, plug the phone to the charger and leave it charging at least until 30-40%, you can damage the battery or the battery life will be shorter.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Im sure that it is not an phone or charger issue, I think it happened because the battery was almost empty.

Check with another phone, discharge it until the low battery warning appear and the plug the charger while gaming (or watching video), probably the phone will turn off.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Low battery warning is really low battery, if the game is using inernet or you have the display brightness high the battery will drain the remaining power even plugged to the charger.

Don't do that, if you are getting low battery warning, plug the phone to the charger and leave it charging at least until 30-40%, you can damage the battery or the battery life will be shorter.

Thats the problem. I am plugging in the phone, but its not charging whilst I am playing the game!

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Im sure that it is not an phone or charger issue, I think it happened because the battery was almost empty.

Check with another phone, discharge it until the low battery warning appear and the plug the charger while gaming (or watching video), probably the phone will turn off.

It charges fine. in fact, it charges very quickly and discharges at a good rate. but as soon as I play a game (in this instance, microsoft bingo), the battery life drops and not even plugging it in charges it back up quick enough. which means that I can only play bingo for the life of the battery which is probably be about an hour from 100% charged battery.

I can't really check with another phone to be honest. don't have another usb-c type phone. I was hoping someone else might have got that game and experienced the same problem as me or not to rule out if I have a dodgy battery or not.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
It is microsoft bingo. its actually quite additive!
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...microsoft-bingo%2F9wzdncrfj9wm&token=EnAWImwx
since its microsoft, the game I am sure would be optimized as well.

So I can safely say i wouldn't use this game anymore! 15 minutes of play and this game heated the phone up considerably, to the point of being uncomfortable. I also lost 24% battery life in that 15 minutes. Phone didn't lock up but with that amount of heat, it could have been a possibility.

The thing that caught my eye was the free tokens/money at the beginning and them apologizing for all the problems with the game. Looks like it be worth waiting a while for them to iron out issues before playing this one again.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks deathmojo for trying it out. It does drain pretty quick as you said. Did you lose any battery whilst charging from mains? I just can't understand why...
1. It is so cpu extensive to drain so much power when Netflix which I consider more complex software to drain less power then Ms bingo.
2. Why my Lumia 1020 charges fine whilst playing and plugged in.

My guess is perhaps, because it's quad core, the game is using all cores draining more power and the the lumia1020 single core taking less battery could be the problem.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks deathmojo for trying it out. It does drain pretty quick as you said. Did you lose any battery whilst charging from mains? I just can't understand why...
1. It is so cpu extensive to drain so much power when Netflix which I consider more complex software to drain less power then Ms bingo.

My guess is perhaps, because it's quad core, the game is using all cores draining more power and the the lumia1020 single core taking less battery could be the problem.

1 netflix is not "complex" than a game, netflix is just video streaming, like myTube, basically gpu usage, a game can drain the battery using both, cpu and gpu.

2. Did you let the 1020 drain until "low battery" warning and then played it? Also, 1020 screen is 720p, 950 is 2k.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site

I would honestly say just a poorly optimized game, its not graphically demanding and the game should not get that hot. I tried out Candy Crush and yes it drained at a steady rate but not nearly as fast or with as much heat as the Bingo game.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
I am using the original wall charger that came with the phone. I believe it's usb-C type connection. Just tried the same app on the Lumia 1020 (with it's own charger) and was able to charge the phone whilst playing the bingo game. So it's not the software that is the problem. The battery seems okay, quickly charging and can last 2 days if I am fugal. But when playing that game it just can't charge itself quick enough.

I dreading to think how it would cope with continuum running a bit more complicated software then a relatively simple bingo game!
no problem when using continuum. the phone is charging when connected to the dock. after sufficiently long period of usage of continuum, your phone's battery will be at 100% when you plug it off from the dock.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
1 netflix is not "complex" than a game, netflix is just video streaming, like myTube, basically gpu usage, a game can drain the battery using both, cpu and gpu.

Good point. I suppose the gpu is using the decoding the stream does all the work and not using much CPU.
2. Did you let the 1020 drain until "low battery" warning and then played it? Also, 1020 screen is 720p, 950 is 2k.

I didn't, but both phone was tried out at 75%. The lumia950xl battery went down, but lumia1020 went up. Good point about the screen, the 950xl would use up more power.

Won't be good if any cpu extensive app you play with continuum as you can't last long as you can't charge it's battery whilst using it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb