WinBeta reports huge battery gains from firmware update

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
WHOA!! So MS is actually trying to IMPROVE battery life?[sarcasm] Thats BONKERS!!! Nice post. Hopefully the US gets this update soon. It kind of makes sense to give it to regions with a higher market share first though, just saying.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm, Not sure if that's correct as it appears that I have the same firmware version as mentioned in the post, unless I misread it.

Supposing to have battery to lose only 9% after 2hrs on Netflix. So tried the experiment as well on my l950xl

House of cards e03s01 which is 58 min, battery saver on, 25% brightness, flight mode on with only WiFi on for streaming, battery drained 11%. No way 9% after TWO hours. My l950xl is 2 weeks old, hasn't even fully set up emails or anything backgroundy, so not sure how that is possible unless I have got a suspect battery problem.

Weirdly, with flight mode off, and 50% brightness, I still only lost 11% battery.

Also, slightly off topic, since I had a problem with battery not charging whilst plugged in and playing Microsoft bingo game, Netflix had no problem and was charging fine. Yet surely Netflix is more complicated then that bingo game, but Netflix performed better battery wise!

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Supposing to have battery to lose only 9% after 2hrs on Netflix.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. That would calculate out to 22 hours of screen on time (assuming that time on Netflix would be with the screen on). The smartphones currently with the best battery life are doing good to get 6 or 7 hours of screen on time, and most are around 3 or 4 hours.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
Seems pretty split there in the comments on battery life improvement. My standby battery life is great, I just hope to see a little less drain with the screen on.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
I am on .36 and new firmware and have huge battery drain, even with lots of tweaking on saving.
Have a Question, when reinstalling firmware on Recovery tool, does it reinstall, reset OS too?

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Installing firmware first before all OS updates, could it caused any issues? because I installed firmware on stock OS .11 if I am correct.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I read somewhere that the Edge browser should not be allowed to run in the background because it loves the battery more than it should. I'll see if I can't find the link.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss