Finally Did It! Clicked The Purchase Button on a 950 XL SINGLE SIM!!

ep1

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
When you get a new phone, it is better to hard reset. Below is the procedure :

1) Hard Reset the phone
2) Set up as a new phone (Do not restore any backups from any previous phones)
3) After the phone is full ready as a new phone, check the store and let all the pending downloads complete (So apps will auto download updates)
4) After all the apps are installed, do a restart or a soft reset
5) At this point you phone is set up with all the default apps and their updates
6) Now go to store and go to download history for your account and download all your favorite apps.
7)After everything is setup, just do a restart or soft reset.
8) That's it. Your phone is ready for daily usage as per your requirements.

This is what I do for all my phones with any OS and they all work great with good battery life and minimum issues. Hope this helps.

should you do that with an OS update. like windows 10 insiders?

QOAM

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
OMG .. I can't believe I am buying yet ANOTHER phone. Wasn't too long ago that I bought the iPhone 6 Plus .. This is my 3rd Nokia. 920 twice (couldn't get the first one unlocked and by the time I got the 2nd one unlocked they came out with the 1020. BOUGHT IT .. ) While attempting to get my sim card out I stuck the pin in what I think was the Microphone hole .. I could no longer dictate messages .. That's when I went to the iPhone. I like Windows o/s much better than the io/s and I am getting pretty comfortable with Win10 on my Surface. I just wish I could find one thread where people LOVE their phone. ALSO, I will miss that camera attachment that I had on the 1020. Bulky but I liked it. I had a hard time deciding about the color, but I will probably replace the back do I chose Black Single Sim. Bought it from a seller on eBay that I use often. Their name UserID is never-msrp. Besides that their prices are the best, they seem to get new phones faster than other sellers -- Unlocked too.

JRola

May 30, 2011
Visit site
After seeing so many complains on the 2 sim, i decided to get an unlocked 1 sim 950xl off Expansys Canada. Got it w/ extended warranty but still crossing my fingers anyway. I started by changing the Lang from all Chinese to English and rebooted.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Tapatalk

JRola

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Oops! Just send an unfinished post. Sending this from my old Focus running WP 7.8 (great machine it was!). Ok, the purpose here is just to say that I did experience 2 reboots so far on my 1 sim 950xl. On podcast and calendar.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
Oops! Just send an unfinished post. Sending this from my old Focus running WP 7.8 (great machine it was!). Ok, the purpose here is just to say that I did experience 2 reboots so far on my 1 sim 950xl. On podcast and calendar.

Wow, I just remember my L920 and L1520 when reboots, it happened to my Lumia 800 (WP7.8) too. Oh! Happened to my androids phones sometimes.

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
My first 950 was the dual sim US model. Had nothing but problems with it from the day I first set it up, so returned it. Read on the internet about the single sim being a much better phone....well...lets see :)

Just got my Single Sim XL from a top rated ebay seller in Texas today. It has RM-1085 and was set for Hong Kong when manufactured. Have set it up for US operation and so far (knock on wood), everything is working great.

Will keep you informed ..... but so far the single sim model seems to updating and working so much better !

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I received my Single SIM 950XL yesterday and didn't get a chance to open up the box and set everything up until last night. I'm still finalizing all my set up for the device but so far so good. I did what was suggested on this forum and performed a hard reset right away once I got the phone out of the box. I then started everything from scratch, checked for updates, updated the device with latest OS (.29) and newest firmware that was just pushed out for the US yesterday or so. I then performed another hard reset after the software updates and set up the phone for normal use right after. I did notice the phone got hot (I wouldn't say just warm...but to me it was a lil more than just warm) while updating and setting up the phone. Today, after the storm of updating and charging and playing around with it, I think it's settled into it's more normal state and I haven't felt it get hot...just warm occasionally. Windows Hello works better than I anticipated. Battery life seems to be doing OKAY. I'll get a better feel with more usage. I was able to set up VVM but I haven't tested it out. More to come!

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Does the latest insider build install? It won't on my Single SIM. I don't know if it works on any single sim yet.

The insider build OS .36 shows available to download and install but it craps out during the process and gives me an error message. Guess .36 doesn't play nice with the newest firmware.

Charles Goin

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
If you havent figured it out.. text maybe buggy at first. You will have to call T-mobile and get to second tier they will have to try to force "commission" the phone.

As for Band 12 havent seen an improvment. If anythign this is almost no better than my International ( no 1700/2100 band ) 930. Good luck.

I wish I could put 8.1 on my 950XL personally..so far Win10 seems as buggy and bad as the beta has been. Still doesnt feel finished IMHO.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
NGP's return policies would worry me.. "We accept most unopened items, If the return is not result of our error, re-stocking fee of minimum 15% may be applied depending on the condition of the item. Once returned process initiates, please expect to receive refund within four weeks."
So if you don't like it or have issues they don't deem defective your stuck with restocking and shipping fees.. Could end up costing you over $670 which could take a month to receive, personally I much rather pay MS $649 for a full warranty and 30 no questions money back guarantee..

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
NGP's return policies would worry me.. "We accept most unopened items, If the return is not result of our error, re-stocking fee of minimum 15% may be applied depending on the condition of the item. Once returned process initiates, please expect to receive refund within four weeks."
So if you don't like it or have issues they don't deem defective your stuck with restocking and shipping fees.. Could end up costing you over $670 which could take a month to receive, personally I much rather pay MS $649 for a full warranty and 30 no questions money back guarantee..

I agree, except that, if you want a single sim, you can't get a single sim from MS.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I agree, except that, if you want a single sim, you can't get a single sim from MS.

True, if getting a single sim is worth a $700 gamble it's your money.. IMHO I wouldn't take that chance, then again I cancelled my 950XL dual sim order due to all the issues that surfaced after it's release.

alpha0ero

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I have the single sim version from NGP purchased from Amazon. Had to have visual voicemail with AT&T. I haven't received the latest firmware update yet. I've had the phone for a few days but have not had many issues with it so far. It's running pretty smoothly. I am running 10526.29 software and 15506.02008 firmware at the moment. Haven't joined Windows Insider to get the latest updates yet but don't want to create more problems than I have now. I understand from reading here on the forums there may be an issue with updating to a new version based on the firmware you are on perhaps. Guess I'll sit tight with what I have for now.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Wise thinking... Were you able to get VVM with the single SIM version? Any issues getting LTE running with AT&T? Single SIM would be the way I'd go also..

alpha0ero

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Wise thinking... Were you able to get VVM with the single SIM version? Any issues getting LTE running with AT&T? Single SIM would be the way I'd go also..

All the things you have mentioned so far are working without issue on the single SIM version of the 950XL. My device is unlocked so I am not sure when I will see the firmware upgrade. If they add it to Windows Insider Rings, I may join the group, install the firmware upgrade and the subsequent .63 OS upgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss