01-24-2016 02:34 AM
50 12
tools
    So I've been on this site like crazy ever since Thanksgiving when the 950/XL was available to purchase. Because there were stock issues and the whole pre-order/store reservation thing at launch was troublesome, I decided to take the 'wait and see approach' with the 950/XL. I read up on all that I could in deciding because I am currently using a 1520.3 with the latest 10586.36 Build (Windows Fast Ring Insider) and even though it's not the smoothest, I figure I could probably stay with the 1520 for a while. Anyway, I decided that IF I was going to buy a 950XL, it'd be a single SIM variant seeing how the dual SIM capabilities wouldn't really benefit me that much. Hearing that VVM works with the single SIM variant helped the decision all the more. Anyway, l searched the forums and sought out sites that folks were using to buy their 950XL Single SIM and landed on Amazon. Today, on Amazon, I saw that the price dropped to $570! That's without tax and with free shipping! I took the plunge, had to! I'm thinking that pricing will reduce even further considering it's already at 570 and we're 2 months in from launch? Anyway, here's hoping for some good luck and I get a device sans the issues that some folks have been experiencing with the 950XL.

I'm on T-Mobile and I'm hoping that the antenna(s) on the 950XL and the fact that it has ability to utilize Band 12 makes it so I get more/better reception inside my work building. This alone would justify going from an already great 1520.3 to the 950XL.
    12-31-2015 07:58 PM
    Congrats! Remember that a hard reset before first use (better if you use the buttons) could help to a better experience.
    JohnStrk likes this.
    12-31-2015 08:13 PM
    Congrats! Remember that a hard reset before first use (better if you use the buttons) could help to a better experience.
    Why do the hard reset?
    12-31-2015 08:19 PM
    And why better if I use the buttons to do hard reset? I'll perform a hard reset to start off like you suggest.
    12-31-2015 08:21 PM
    Why do the hard reset?
    When you get a new phone, it is better to hard reset. Below is the procedure :

1) Hard Reset the phone
    2) Set up as a new phone (Do not restore any backups from any previous phones)
    3) After the phone is full ready as a new phone, check the store and let all the pending downloads complete (So apps will auto download updates)
    4) After all the apps are installed, do a restart or a soft reset
    5) At this point you phone is set up with all the default apps and their updates
    6) Now go to store and go to download history for your account and download all your favorite apps.
    7)After everything is setup, just do a restart or soft reset.
    8) That's it. Your phone is ready for daily usage as per your requirements.

This is what I do for all my phones with any OS and they all work great with good battery life and minimum issues. Hope this helps.
    12-31-2015 10:26 PM
    I just saw this on Amazon and was wondering myself how the international version works with AT&T. So VVM was an issue before but not now? Come back and tell us how it works with T-Mobile once you get it.
    12-31-2015 11:05 PM
    I just saw this on Amazon and was wondering myself how the international version works with AT&T. So VVM was an issue before but not now? Come back and tell us how it works with T-Mobile once you get it.
    I don't own one but people around the forums have said that vvm isn't an issue with single SIM

In fact, check out this very thread : http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...085-usa-t.html
    12-31-2015 11:24 PM
    Grats, love my 950 xl on T-Mobile, although no band 12 here yet :(
    01-01-2016 07:55 AM
    Grats, love my 950 xl on T-Mobile, although no band 12 here yet :(
    I can at least assure you that it does get LTE, so the phone's ready for it. :)
    01-01-2016 08:06 AM
    what is an issue is random times where the single sim 950 XL loses its ability to receive text messages although it can still send them when you are on LTE. If you go to SIM settings and change it so that the highest data speed is 4G you can get text messages again. the funny part is that mine worked for two weeks and won't go back to letting me get texts on T Mobile LTE. I live in Houston , which has a refarmed area.
    01-01-2016 06:16 PM
    I am assuming you ordered the device from NGP USA. Does this device come with a warranty from Microsoft? All of the Amazon devices state "NO WARRANTY" which is killing my urge to click buy.
    realwarder likes this.
    01-01-2016 06:31 PM
    what is an issue is random times where the single sim 950 XL loses its ability to receive text messages although it can still send them when you are on LTE. If you go to SIM settings and change it so that the highest data speed is 4G you can get text messages again. the funny part is that mine worked for two weeks and won't go back to letting me get texts on T Mobile LTE. I live in Houston , which has a refarmed area.
    I didn't hear about this issue with Single SIM. Anyone know more about this?
    01-01-2016 07:00 PM
    I am assuming you ordered the device from NGP USA. Does this device come with a warranty from Microsoft? All of the Amazon devices state "NO WARRANTY" which is killing my urge to click buy.
    Yep! I did buy from NGP USA. It doesn't come with MS warranty unfortunately. That was one of the things that caused a lot of hesitation in buying it. They do have the standard 30 day return policy for any defective device. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to use it.
    01-01-2016 07:05 PM
    Yep! I did buy from NGP USA. It doesn't come with MS warranty unfortunately. That was one of the things that caused a lot of hesitation in buying it. They do have the standard 30 day return policy for any defective device. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have to use it.
    My understanding from searching these last few minutes is that you can walk into a Microsoft Store & purchase complete for it.
    01-01-2016 07:08 PM
    And why better if I use the buttons to do hard reset? I'll perform a hard reset to start off like you suggest.
    Hard reset with buttons will format and redo all the partitions, like reinstalling windows on a pc from a CD or usb drive, hard reset from the about box will reinstall the OS in the system partition, like refreshing windows 10 without full reinstalling.
    anon9776305 likes this.
    01-01-2016 08:01 PM
    Just chiming in to say my single SIM works great on AT&T. No data issues. VVM works great. I don't know anything about TMobile but I can vouch for AT&T. It's the one to buy if you don't need two SIM slots. No warranty does suck but oh well.

The latest insider build won't install on it yet, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work (it won't). Something to do with the new firmware on the single SIM not allowing the latest insider build to install. It'll be fixed I'm sure, just to make you aware. It does run the latest firmware and .29 release great though.
    01-01-2016 08:16 PM
    I have a single sim 950 running on T-Mobile in the US. Everything working great mostly. The last update to outlook mail and calendar broke the live tile for me, but as far as sms/mms couldn't be better.
    01-01-2016 08:53 PM
    Just chiming in to say my single SIM works great on AT&T. No data issues. VVM works great. I don't know anything about TMobile but I can vouch for AT&T. It's the one to buy if you don't need two SIM slots. No warranty does suck but oh well.

The latest insider build won't install on it yet, so don't be surprised if it doesn't work (it won't). Something to do with the new firmware on the single SIM not allowing the latest insider build to install. It'll be fixed I'm sure, just to make you aware. It does run the latest firmware and .29 release great though.
    Where did you purchase yours from?
    01-01-2016 09:02 PM
    Hard reset with buttons will format and redo all the partitions, like reinstalling windows on a pc from a CD or usb drive, hard reset from the about box will reinstall the OS in the system partition, like refreshing windows 10 without full reinstalling.
    Ahhh, gotcha. Thank you!
    01-01-2016 09:31 PM
    Where did you purchase yours from?
    Swappa. I didn't realize it was a single SIM until it arrived. At first I was pissed, then I realized it works better then the one Microsoft sells in it's own US stores. Weird but I'm happy to have it now.
    01-01-2016 09:46 PM
    When you get a new phone, it is better to hard reset. Below is the procedure :

1) Hard Reset the phone
    2) Set up as a new phone (Do not restore any backups from any previous phones)
    3) After the phone is full ready as a new phone, check the store and let all the pending downloads complete (So apps will auto download updates)
    4) After all the apps are installed, do a restart or a soft reset
    5) At this point you phone is set up with all the default apps and their updates
    6) Now go to store and go to download history for your account and download all your favorite apps.
    7)After everything is setup, just do a restart or soft reset.
    8) That's it. Your phone is ready for daily usage as per your requirements.

This is what I do for all my phones with any OS and they all work great with good battery life and minimum issues. Hope this helps.
    should you do that with an OS update. like windows 10 insiders?
    01-02-2016 10:27 AM
    OMG .. I can't believe I am buying yet ANOTHER phone. Wasn't too long ago that I bought the iPhone 6 Plus .. This is my 3rd Nokia. 920 twice (couldn't get the first one unlocked and by the time I got the 2nd one unlocked they came out with the 1020. BOUGHT IT .. ) While attempting to get my sim card out I stuck the pin in what I think was the Microphone hole .. I could no longer dictate messages .. That's when I went to the iPhone. I like Windows o/s much better than the io/s and I am getting pretty comfortable with Win10 on my Surface. I just wish I could find one thread where people LOVE their phone. ALSO, I will miss that camera attachment that I had on the 1020. Bulky but I liked it. I had a hard time deciding about the color, but I will probably replace the back do I chose Black Single Sim. Bought it from a seller on eBay that I use often. Their name UserID is never-msrp. Besides that their prices are the best, they seem to get new phones faster than other sellers -- Unlocked too.
    libra89 and ROBBIE HALL like this.
    01-02-2016 01:18 PM
    After seeing so many complains on the 2 sim, i decided to get an unlocked 1 sim 950xl off Expansys Canada. Got it w/ extended warranty but still crossing my fingers anyway. I started by changing the Lang from all Chinese to English and rebooted.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Tapatalk
    01-02-2016 04:58 PM
    Oops! Just send an unfinished post. Sending this from my old Focus running WP 7.8 (great machine it was!). Ok, the purpose here is just to say that I did experience 2 reboots so far on my 1 sim 950xl. On podcast and calendar.

Sent from my SGH-i917R using Tapatalk
    01-02-2016 05:04 PM
    should you do that with an OS update. like windows 10 insiders?
    Yes you can do the same for OS updates also
    01-02-2016 05:10 PM
50 12