Bring Me Back

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
A little under a year ago, I had no option but to switch from my 1520 to the iPhone 6 Plus. Bank of America left the platform, I needed other apps for work that did not even appear to be on the horizon, and Internet Explorer on Windows Phone 8 was a sad cry from a viable alternative to these problems. Here I am, approaching a year with the iPhone and I hate my life and everything it stands for when it comes to cell phones. I miss Cortana, I miss a functional calendar, I miss a functional home screen, and I despise this operating system. Granted, it is extremely nice to have every app I want available when I want it, no questions asked. Honestly, the abundance of apps - with the exceptions of the big names like Snapchat - don't offer an advantage. If you remove the big name parties, I truly believe Windows offers a better replacement community with options like 6tag and mobudget. I have yet to find a budget app on the iPhone that I can say I truly enjoy. So, I need you guys to convince me I am safe to come back to the XL or if I should remain on my iPhone. I have included a list of apps I use almost daily. I know which of these are available and/or have amazing alternatives, but I want to get your opinion. Please, be honest. Should I give up my 6 Plus for the 950 XL?

Office Apps
Hours Tracker
Remote Desktop
FitBit
MyFitnessPal
Twitter
Instagram
WhatsApp
Facebook
Tapatalk
ESPN
Bank of America
QuickBooks
Amazon
PayPal
Ebay
Fandango
VenMo
State Farm Pocket Agent
TVTime
SoundCloud
YouTube
Credit Karma
ADP
Amazon Seller
WikiArms
Coin
Groove

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Do as I did, pick up a brand new 1520 for around $220 and wait for the Surface Phone later this year :)
You can put the Insiders Win 10 on the 1520, your Bank of America is on it's way :)
Bank of America confirms it's working on a Windows 10 Mobile app | Windows Central

I have a 1520. It may be the most uncomfortable phone to carry. Once you realize its a terrible phone in terms of ergonomics, it's tough to justify carrying it. There isn't much of a size difference screen wise between my 1520 & 6+, yet the 1520 is almost unusable for daily carry.

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
Every single one of the apps you mentioned is on Windows phone. And what I mean is either by app or mobile website. BofA for example, what is REALLY the difference between the app and the mobile site? If its deposits via the app, that means your day is so crammed full you cant go to the bank to deposit it, a phone OS wont fix that. The world doesnt revolve around apps, or at least shouldnt. My bank has no WP app, i pin the mobile site to my start screen. If you want to be forced into an eco-system, keep the iphone. I have an iPhone 6 for work, bought the 950XL dual sim, now i carry one phone and only use the iPhone for the development apps that i have no other option for. Much happier having the iphone off and in my bag all day.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I say get the 950 XL. I have now retired my outdated 1520 and enjoying and loving my 950 XL with new and more updated features. Don't wait for the "Surface Phone" because there will always be something better and newer around the corner, so no use waiting.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Every single one of the apps you mentioned is on Windows phone. And what I mean is either by app or mobile website. BofA for example, what is REALLY the difference between the app and the mobile site? If its deposits via the app, that means your day is so crammed full you cant go to the bank to deposit it, a phone OS wont fix that. The world doesnt revolve around apps, or at least shouldnt. My bank has no WP app, i pin the mobile site to my start screen. If you want to be forced into an eco-system, keep the iphone. I have an iPhone 6 for work, bought the 950XL dual sim, now i carry one phone and only use the iPhone for the development apps that i have no other option for. Much happier having the iphone off and in my bag all day.

The banking thing is so convenient! It is like saying direct deposit paychecks is not all it is cracked up to be. I can just take all my paychecks to the bank myself thank you! If my bank didn't allow direct deposit, I would switch banks.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Alex Rodriguez Jr.

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

While I agree that the world shouldn't revolve around apps, there is no denying the ease & comfort of those apps.

Brian McMahon

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
Pickup a 950 xl and get a band 2 for your fitness needs, once you start using the band 2 with a 950 and all the benefits it brings from a connected eco system there's no looking back. My band 2 syncs to my Strava account and Myfitnesspal.

The one big think MS has going for it is integration across devices, been tried before in several guises across ios and android but I have always felt it a hap hazard approach. Since going all out on W10 this is the only time I have felt everything working together as I would like them. There's no denying some apps aren't here but apps are gaining traction universally.

If your not happy on ios then there's nothing to lose trying the Windows platform again.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a 1520. It may be the most uncomfortable phone to carry. Once you realize its a terrible phone in terms of ergonomics, it's tough to justify carrying it. There isn't much of a size difference screen wise between my 1520 & 6+, yet the 1520 is almost unusable for daily carry.

I can understand that.. It is big, being tall with large hands its not hard for me to carry and use but say for my wife it would be a total hassle.. Hard to beleive .3" can make such a difference huh? But for me I its just a pleasure to use especially reading articles and looking/sharing photos ect.. Sounds like you need very little more encouragement and I totally share your views on the iPhone, I could never go back to that OS.. Give the 950XL a try, you do have 30 days to return it.. MS is nice that way, AT&T only gives you two weeks for returns. Good luck AR.. :)

mggm100

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
I rarely have to deposit a paper check, but I do keep an old Android phone around with the app for the credit union I use. In my case, this is really a non-issue because I hardly every need to use it. But it's an option for people who have more use for banking apps.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Maybe give it a few months. BoA claim to be bringing a Windows 10 app. And expect Instagram and Facebook to release Windows 10 versions.

And wait until the 950 XL gets VVM as that would be annoying for you too.

Captain_Eric

Dec 31, 2007
Visit site
You have a long list. Since you own a 1520, you could use Insider, update to W10M, and test whatever apps you want. (I know there is an app by Microsoft somewhere that looks at your apps on a Android and tells you the equivalent on W10M. Not sure if iPhone has it.)

I'll just say Office is amazing, really, really good. Groove has come a long way and is very good now, in fact, I'm using it more than Spotify now, due principally to Radio and OneDrive. MyFitnessPal is terrible. Whatsapp is fine.

The apps have gotten much better lately, which is pleasing. I imagine the more the universal apps kick in, the better for W10M. For example, The Economist and Wall Street Journal have excellent new apps.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe give it a few months. BoA claim to be bringing a Windows 10 app. And expect Instagram and Facebook to release Windows 10 versions.

And wait until the 950 XL gets VVM as that would be annoying for you too.

The VVM is a limitation because of the dual sim. It works on the single sim variants purchased outside the US.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nah, might as well stick with what you have, unless you're on AT&T Next or something (which, since the XL isn't on any U.S. carrier, it's obviously not an option on Next). Cortana is on iOS as a beta now, I think. I'd just roll with what I have until the Surface Phone, at this point. Sell the 6 Plus when the Surface Phone is out, hopefully right before the next iPhone offering. No point in shelling out several hundred dollars on a short-term emergency release from Microsoft that some retailers have reportedly stopped selling, due to hardware defects.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I love my 950 XL, really have little to no problems with it after I updated to .29. So I say get it, screw Apple and iPhone we need to let them know they cant strong arm us with apps.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The VVM is a limitation because of the dual sim. It works on the single sim variants purchased outside the US.

So talk me through the logic of that: Let's release a version in the USA that doesn't support USA carrier VVM. And release the one that works great in the USA outside the USA.

Yeah, you got me there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6