HD video playback lag and stutter

pinkbecca12

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
I was using the Note 4 watching HD videos with players such as VLC and MX Player, those episodes I watch are MKV format and they played smoothly on the Note 4, I figured since the 950 XL has better specs that it would play them smoothly too but it doesn't!!!, I updated the phone's firmware and still HD video playback lags and stutter, how come this is happening and is anyone experiencing this as well?

weatheryoko

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Although I did some initial testing with MKV files, I’ve been mostly playing around with x.265 (i.e. HEVC) videos this week on my Lumia 950XL. In both cases (MKV and MP4 (HEVC) files), I’m watching 1080p videos. The playback for both file types using the default app (Movies % TV) started off a little jagged/with slight stuttering; however, after about 30 seconds, playback for me was smooth (both on screen and through Continuum). All videos are being stored/played back from my microSD card.

Cheers,
Justin

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
All the 2K and 4K videos from youtube (MS Edge or myTube) are playing fine and smooth.

Try with another player, UWP Video Player or K-Lite Player can play my MKV files fine.

pinkbecca12

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
if I play the video in normal speed it's fine, it doesn't stutter or anything but because I love watching episodes at a higher speed (AKA time-stretching), that's when it lags, I'm still shocked because I bought the 950 XL with confidence that it'll play smoothly, I read the specs before buying it and its much faster than the Note 4, now I'd like to know how come the Note 4 plays at turbo speed smoothly?, maybe the 950's hardware isn't what it says it is!

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll test and let you know tomorrow. However, local playback isn't something i'm concerned with since I use Plex if I want to watch something from my collection and it works fantastic streaming from my home server.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
if I play the video in normal speed it's fine, it doesn't stutter or anything but because I love watching episodes at a higher speed (AKA time-stretching), that's when it lags, I'm still shocked because I bought the 950 XL with confidence that it'll play smoothly, I read the specs before buying it and its much faster than the Note 4, now I'd like to know how come the Note 4 plays at turbo speed smoothly?, maybe the 950's hardware isn't what it says it is!

have you tried with different video players? windows 10 mobile players or WP8,1 players?

Do you want some help or just bashing windows and trying to sell android?

I'm copying a 1080p mkv video for testing, if you want some help be patient

pinkbecca12

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
no honestly I'm not bashing, I love Windows and would love some help, I just installed UWP player and its smoothly playing HD but I can't seem to change the video speed, if there's a player other than VLC that allows you to change the speed please recommend it to me.

ronaldme

Aug 27, 2014
Visit site
no honestly I'm not bashing, I love Windows and would love some help, I just installed UWP player and its smoothly playing HD but I can't seem to change the video speed, if there's a player other than VLC that allows you to change the speed please recommend it to me.

Yes, I tried UWP and play it fine, I'll try with another player for change the speed.

EDIT: I tried with VLC and it is working smooth at 1.5x and 2x, it is a walking dead episode, mkv, at 1080p.

pinkbecca12

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
also please try to watch at 1.5 speed whilst the audio is connected to a bluetooth headphone or speaker, thank you so much you're so kind to help me.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
It's possible that the players in question are not coded to leverage the gpu (or other hardware based video acceleration) on the windows platform whereas they might be on android (Note 4). That would explain a lot...especially on higher res videos once the software-based decoding starts to saturate the cpu. Just a theory.

pinkbecca12

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
It's possible that the players in question are not coded to leverage the gpu (or other hardware based video acceleration) on the windows platform whereas they might be on android (Note 4). That would explain a lot...especially on higher res videos once the software-based decoding starts to saturate the cpu. Just a theory.

yup I think so too

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05