A 4K HEVC (H.265) file to test your 950XL's 4K playback

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I got approval to release a new native HEVC encode of the pilot episode of Humans and Households, a short form webseries we produced two years ago. The footage is a mix of native 4K (RED Epic) and 2.5K upscaled (Blackmagic Cinema). I tested it on my 950 XL and it looked great!

Humans and Households (right-click the Episode_1_4K.mp4 link and choose 'save as').

We're exploring releasing the HEVC content on VHX for the rest of the season as well. There aren't a lot of ways to distribute this content yet, unfortunately.

Regarding the video - it's not rated, but contains some coarse language and drug use (simulated and fictional in the story).

The episode is DRM free and the license is CC Share-Alike 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/us/)

Last edited:

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
FYI I thought I would test it on large modern computer and sadly
(w10 dell XPS 8700 32gig ram etc)

The link "Streams" really badly
Both video and audio pause at random times during playback - weird!

So I thought I would down load it to my hard drive 1stand check it out...

It wont play as a stand alone file :?(
Audio comes out but no video (black screen)

My theory its a bad video stream - who knows

Im not a stream guru and I dont have a clue
(at least I checked it out :?)

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
FYI I thought I would test it on large modern computer and sadly
(w10 dell XPS 8700 32gig ram etc)

The link "Streams" really badly
Both video and audio pause at random times during playback - weird!

So I thought I would down load it to my hard drive 1stand check it out...

It wont play as a stand alone file :?(
Audio comes out but no video (black screen)

My theory its a bad video stream - who knows

Im not a stream guru and I dont have a clue
(at least I checked it out :?)

It's H.265. You have to use something like VLC to play it right now since the built in players don't have the codecs yet. You'll get audio only. I can confirm that it plays fine locally downloaded in VLC on Win 10. But I'd love for anyone else to check.

And yeah, it's not going to stream well. The host isn't going to have a fast enough pipe.

madusmacus

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Ok I downloaded VL for windows store
tried to play the file - it crashes the latest VLC available back to desktop

Anyways I was trying to help validate a valid video source
and not annoy people so I stop now :?)

Cya peeps

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok I downloaded VL for windows store
tried to play the file - it crashes the latest VLC available back to desktop

Anyways I was trying to help validate a valid video source
and not annoy people so I stop now :?)

Cya peeps

Not annoying at all! It's interesting to me because the codec is so new. I do this for a living, so this is data I am very interested in. I'm trying to reproduce this on a number of machines but can't. Have you tried any other sources? I get some stuttering on an i5 with 8GB and integrated graphics (Surface Pro 4). On an HP workstation, also with integrated graphics, I get a LOT of stuttering, but eventual recovery. On my (admittedly beastly) desktop I have no issues at all. The phone has no issues at all. I am going to try it on an Nvidia Shield. Your system seems pretty high end, so I'm surprised it's crashing your VLC. If you can work anything else out, please let me know...the more information I have on this, the better. It may be because I'm using the HIGH profile instead of MAIN. Adobe CC may not be correctly packaging the stream. Or the bitrate is just too high for the system.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petazinta