Annoying Behaviour When Charging

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
This is what happens when I charge my 950xl:
1. I plug it in via the supplied USB-C charger and go to bed
2. When I wake up, it's at 100% charged but very hot.
3. I unplug it from the charger. It stays hot and the battery starts to drain extremely fast (about 50% per hour)
4. I switch the phone off to avoid the heat/drain, wait a few mins for it to cool down and then turn it back on
5. The phone then stays cool and battery life is normal

Couple of questions:
Does anyone else have these issues?
Should it not stop heating up(charging) once it get's to 100%? Why is it still hot when I wake up?
Why does the battery drain so fast if I don't turn it off to cool down in the morning?

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mine (GB CV single SIM device) warms a little on charging (barely above blood temperature)

No excessive heating while charging from a cable or using a pad.

Phone remains cool during normal usage (using .29 and latest firmware).

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Mine (GB CV single SIM device) warms a little on charging (barely above blood temperature)

No excessive heating while charging from a cable or using a pad.

Phone remains cool during normal usage (using .29 and latest firmware).

How long do you leave it charging? Overnight?

Edit - Mine is also CV GB single sim and is using .29 and latest firmware

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you've updated your firmware recently, don't forget to disable any unused services because they may have flipped back on (NFC, WiFi sense, etc.). I don't really like my radios to be hunting and trying to join WiFi signals all the time.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
If you've updated your firmware recently, don't forget to disable any unused services because they may have flipped back on (NFC, WiFi sense, etc.). I don't really like my radios to be hunting and trying to join WiFi signals all the time.

Why would rebooting stop it though?

One other thing is that this started happening around the time I first tried contiuum. Could be a coincidence. Have you ever used it?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I didn't say anything about rebooting...

Yes, I've used continuum a few times. Used it last night to show an app on my TV. Nothing bad happened.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I tried leaving it in airplane mode yesterday and had the same issue. I realized that I had glance screen set to always on when charging. I am going to try turning that off

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I have exactly the same symptoms and have been advised to return the phone as faulty. Tried the .29 and .36 updates, same effect. Just browsing the web for 10 minutes leaves the handset almost too hot to hold. I would advise return/replace.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
Also did soft and hard resets and even device recovery tool.

I was hoping to avoid a hard reset, as I have about 100Gb of games/apps that will take a long tiem to reinstall. Going to try disabling the glance screen when charging and see if that helps first.

Are you getting a replacement? Let us know how you get on with it. I am surprised that not many other people are reporting this issue

Anix90s

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
3. I unplug it from the charger. It stays hot and the battery starts to drain extremely fast (about 50% per hour)
4. I switch the phone off to avoid the heat/drain, wait a few mins for it to cool down and then turn it back on

Couple of questions:
Should it not stop heating up(charging) once it get's to 100%? Why is it still hot when I wake up?
Why does the battery drain so fast if I don't turn it off to cool down in the morning?
No phone settings or app can cause such kind of problems. Your phone may have some hardware issues. Return/replace the product or take it to the care centre.

NHUK

Apr 3, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping to avoid a hard reset, as I have about 100Gb of games/apps that will take a long tiem to reinstall. Going to try disabling the glance screen when charging and see if that helps first.

Are you getting a replacement? Let us know how you get on with it. I am surprised that not many other people are reporting this issue

It seemed to coincide with the firmware update, everything was fine until the last few days. It would get so hot that it would not charge, and bizarrely even though it was on it would stop receiving messages or showing notifications. In that state, however I tried to charge it, the best I would get is that the battery would stay constant at whatever % it was at. Disconnect and it would start discharging. Pull the battery, leave it to cool for 10 mins then boot up again. It would suddenly receive all the missing mail and stay cool as long as I left it in standby. Unlock it and use it for anything for more than a couple of minutes and you could fry an egg on the bottom half of the screen!! None of the reboots, resets, reinstalls stopped the issue recurring, I even tried a cold start with no restore and it still produced the same symptoms.

Interesting is that, although the phone is outside its 30 day return window, and should officially be a warranty repair now, MS didnt argue for a second and agreed to give me a full refund. I just got the return label in the mail about an hour ago.

Also interesting is that I asked how to return the dock I got on the free offer (seems only fair if I am not keeping the phone) and they told me "that's fine, you keep it" ??!

As for replacing it? I will pocket the refund and wait for the forums to start showing more positive feedback re the phone and W10M. It might be worth hanging on now until the surface phone appears and see if that fairs better. Also, on the price front, I prepaid ?529, got a price match of ?469 due to Amazon, and I see they are now selling at ?449 - so even if I want to replace it, I'm better off pocketing the refund and buying new from Amazon....

And I thought the original Surface Pro rollout was a shambles.....

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site

Couple of questions:
your phone is abnormal. maybe you installed too many apps that caused the instability / battery drain. there is no need to disable background activities for battery saving. the effect is not significant. i leave every settings as default and my 950xl consumed 14% of battery after 19+ hours of idle time. or you can have a look of an experiment i carried out recently.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...xl-battery-test-what-happened-background.html

iPone

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I noticed if you plug in the charger without turning on the AC the phone still thinks it's charging and does a connect/deconnect cycle every minute or so.

slysy

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I disabled Windows Hello recently and don't get this issue any more. Is this a known issue? I guess for some reason, plugging in the phone was causing Windows Hello to eat battery life and heat up the phone until a reboot

biltaji

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
My Lumia 950 heats up while charging. Otherwise it's fine.

If I over work it with social media activities and videos it warms up middle section from the back below the camera. But it's not annoying.

I don't have a problem with battery life. I recommend you turn off location and live tile. That drains the battery and keeps the phone working.

Don't keep the phone plugged in while charging over night. My phone takes 2 hours to charge fully from 0% to 100% via it's fast charge USB. No need to keep charging.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention