Thank You for the Firmware!

ReachJasonHere

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
My 950 XL worked pretty well from day one -got it the day before Thanksgiving via pre-order. A week or two later, I got a 128 GB SD card (SanDisk) and everything went downhill. Even just having the SD card seemed to cause reboots when it wasn't being accessed. I ordered a 128 GB Samsung SD card, no improvement. The biggest was the camera. I couldn't take or view pics without a reboot (or three). After having many Christmas moments ruined by this, I decided to wait for the next firmware before considering changing phones. As of last night, I hard reset the phone with the available software -rolling it back off of the insider .36 build. It picked up the firmware and the .29 update right away. I did not have to reformat the card or anything, it has simply worked since getting the update. I was able to sync all of my Groove music to the SD card (10 GB), I can take and view all the photos and videos I want -all are set to the SD card and not a single reboot. My phone is finally what I needed it to be. Thank you Microsoft.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Very similar story except that I had a 128 GB SanDisk card in my phone from the get go and experienced very frequent reboots. I'm an insider and (for the third time) used WDRT to roll back my phone. Picked up the new firmware and then rejoined the insider program so I'm running the .36 OS and the .27 firmware. Phone now seems very stable and I can load up the SD card without worrying about crashing my phone. Now maybe I can start loving my phone :)

My 950 XL worked pretty well from day one -got it the day before Thanksgiving via pre-order. A week or two later, I got a 128 GB SD card (SanDisk) and everything went downhill. Even just having the SD card seemed to cause reboots when it wasn't being accessed. I ordered a 128 GB Samsung SD card, no improvement. The biggest was the camera. I couldn't take or view pics without a reboot (or three). After having many Christmas moments ruined by this, I decided to wait for the next firmware before considering changing phones. As of last night, I hard reset the phone with the available software -rolling it back off of the insider .36 build. It picked up the firmware and the .29 update right away. I did not have to reformat the card or anything, it has simply worked since getting the update. I was able to sync all of my Groove music to the SD card (10 GB), I can take and view all the photos and videos I want -all are set to the SD card and not a single reboot. My phone is finally what I needed it to be. Thank you Microsoft.

mutant 9

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
after you installed the firmware how many times did It restart due to SIM changes? mind did it twice and righ tbefore the last one when I was trying to make a call it restarted. then I got the prompt to restart. still have Bluetooth issues where it drops connection then reconnects. going to wait until the next OS update (on .29) to see if that helps before I exchange it. plus they still have no stock in the MS stores near me so cant exchange it if I wanted to anyway. lets hope they get all these things worked out.

I wonder what the delay is with getting them in store. I doubt the demand has been huge on these. im trying to figure out if its a hardware issue or software issue...

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
My 950 xl has always behaved with my SanDisk 128 ultra. I have 87 gigs of music on it that I play all day via Bluetooth to my JamBox. I am on .36 os with .17 firmware in south florida.

I have not experienced reboots since I did a hard reset from .29 to get to .36. (btw, I installed the sd card after that hard reset).

I like the idea of having the latest firmware, but as my phone is quite stable, (and has been for nearly a month now), I will hold off until the firmware is available ota.........if it ain't broke, don't fix...............

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
Always? That's definitely not true. The OS has bugs that cause instability as well.
read / write speeds of sd cards are significantly lower than internal storage so inserting sd card into a phone will hinder it's performance. and there are so many different types / brands / formats of sd cards and sometimes they cause stability issues.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
read / write speeds of sd cards are significantly lower than internal storage so inserting sd card into a phone will hinder it's performance. and there are so many different types / brands / formats of sd cards and sometimes they cause stability issues.

Nokia had their own micrsosd cards, I wonder if they still manufacture them

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
My 950 xl has always behaved with my SanDisk 128 ultra. I have 87 gigs of music on it that I play all day via Bluetooth to my JamBox. I am on .36 os with .17 firmware in south florida.

I have not experienced reboots since I did a hard reset from .29 to get to .36. (btw, I installed the sd card after that hard reset).

I like the idea of having the latest firmware, but as my phone is quite stable, (and has been for nearly a month now), I will hold off until the firmware is available ota.........if it ain't broke, don't fix...............

THIS. I've had rare occasions of reboots but it's really not big enough a deal for me to hard reset my phone. Although I'm also kinda bugged out that we can't get the firmware update, at this point I don't mind waiting. Hard reset is going to be a lot of hassle since I've set up literally everything already since late November.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
peter leung 10586 said:

So it depends on what you store on the SD. I store everything BUT apps. Maps, music, documents, videos, but not apps. So I can swap easily the SD card from a Lumia to the other, and no performance cost for apps.

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
So it depends on what you store on the SD. I store everything BUT apps. Maps, music, documents, videos, but not apps. So I can swap easily the SD card from a Lumia to the other, and no performance cost for apps.
that's ok but I am used to rely on cloud services so I don't need to store much things locally...

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had zero issues with my 64g pro Samsung SD card, and I install everything on it. I had issues with a SanDisk SD card on my 640 with early builds of Windows 10, and switched to Samsung to see if it would help, and it did seam to work better. But on my 950XL, I have not had any SD glitches. I am still on the older firmware.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I have had zero issues with my 64g pro Samsung SD card, and I install everything on it. I had issues with a SanDisk SD card on my 640 with early builds of Windows 10, and switched to Samsung to see if it would help, and it did seam to work better. But on my 950XL, I have not had any SD glitches. I am still on the older firmware.
128GB Sandisk on my Lumia 950. Zero problems with it on my end too.

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
same here with my Samsung card older firmware also

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a 128 Gb SanDisk and I got a few messages in earlier builds about the SD card being corrupted. I just ignored them and everything worked fine. I haven't seen a message like that in at least the last three builds

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos