Gorilla glass 4??? Unverified by corninggorillaglass.com

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft claims that the the Lumia 950 XL is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4, however at corninggorillaglass.com - using the tool to see which devices have this protection - there are NO Microsoft devices found. So, my question is - is Corning Gorilla glass 4 REALLY on my device?

In addition - how hard really is this glass? In some ways I hate screen protectors - they add to the overall thickness of the device, and in my opinion, a naked screen looks the best. Should I consider getting a screen protector? I would really hate to have anything happen to my display.

nadroj915

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not saying Microsoft is being dishonest - I just wanted to know why this information isn't available from the horse's mouth (Corning)? On their website, they have this to say,

"The devices on these pages have been verified by the manufacturer and Corning as using Corning Gorilla Glass. The manufacturers and devices detailed on these webpages are the only manufacturers authorized to use the Corning Gorilla Glass trademark in their device promotions. Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification. In those cases, please ask the manufacturer directly or contact Corning here and we will do our best to help you."

And...since neither of the new MS Lumia products are listed - it just had me wondering....that's all.

decider

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
And so I think from what you have posted from the website pretty much means you can say Microsoft's claim is false. Either Corning is not telling the truth or it is Microsoft?

SeeVuPlay

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
it may be because Corning sold such little stock for the Lumia's that it barely shows up in their internal records...but if you asked a tech rep from corning, he would say "What's a Lumia?"

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
This is from the Corning gorilla glass faq page;

"DOES THIS LIST INCLUDE ALL DEVICES THAT HAVE GORILLA GLASS?
No, unfortunately, customer agreements prevent us from identifying all the devices that feature Gorilla Glass. This list shows all devices we can talk about. We?ll continue to update the list as customers allow us to share that information."

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The 950 and 950XL are also not listed as Quick Charge 2 but they are.
I'm pretty sure that there was an early rumor that they would be QC2, but that in truth they are not. They do charge faster than older Lumias, but that's because of USB-C charging. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Power The Microsoft power adapter is 5V 3A only. The Quick Charge adapters use multiple voltage levels, as described in Qualcomm's FAQ: "Both Class A and Class B adapters are rated at 5, 9 and 12 volts."

Simon Hefford

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
I'm not going into it as id be wasting my time on some but here is a fact for those that want to know.
Gorilla Glass 4 is fitted to both Lumias, that's it not ifs or buts, it's fitted.

Enjoy

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft claims that the the Lumia 950 XL is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4, however at corninggorillaglass.com - using the tool to see which devices have this protection - there are NO Microsoft devices found. So, my question is - is Corning Gorilla glass 4 REALLY on my device?

In addition - how hard really is this glass? In some ways I hate screen protectors - they add to the overall thickness of the device, and in my opinion, a naked screen looks the best. Should I consider getting a screen protector? I would really hate to have anything happen to my display.

Where does it say what you're saying on that website?

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I sincerely doubt that Microsoft would advertise as using Gorilla Glass 4 if they did not. I assume that, as Corning states on their website " Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification", Microsoft has not been willing to give Corning model verification so they have been redacted from the Corning website.

ver31

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I've had my 950xl for 6 weeks and it's already badly scratched...normal usage. i've never had it on my Samsung S6+ Edge or the note 4. I don't believe it's gorilla glass anyway

Allen Rhodes

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
This is from the Corning gorilla glass faq page;

"DOES THIS LIST INCLUDE ALL DEVICES THAT HAVE GORILLA GLASS?
No, unfortunately, customer agreements prevent us from identifying all the devices that feature Gorilla Glass. This list shows all devices we can talk about. We?ll continue to update the list as customers allow us to share that information."

This post needs to end this conversation. There are plenty of other sites to discuss corporate conspiracy theories, clearly that disclaimer explains why crApple and MS dont show. New topic please. The original topic was the glass, not the charging capabilities. Im sure if you use the search function, you will find a thread to discuss that item.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99