Glance Screen Not Working

jvanlew

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure when this happened but glance screen on my 950 XL doesn't work anymore. I don't have any screen protection on the phone screen. When I turn the screen off, no glance comes up at all. I can only get it to show up for a split second when I block the proximity sensor for 10 seconds or so and then unblock it. I've tried hard resetting, Windows Device Recovery, and soft resets thinking that it may be a software or a recent firmware update but nothing fixes it. The proximity sensor works fine when I place a phone call.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this is related, but yesterday I briefly saw glance when I took my 950XL off the wireless charger, then it turned off and the phone had crashed / was stuck with a black screen. Glance still worked after a hard reset.

This morning I had a system notification "Update glance" with the settings icon. I tapped it, and it brought me to the glance screen settings, but no hints on what to do next. I checked the store, but no updates available. Weird!

At the bottom of the glance settings screen it says App 4.1.0.151, Svc 4.1.12.4 (gray font, very last line of the screen).

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure when this happened but glance screen on my 950 XL doesn't work anymore. I don't have any screen protection on the phone screen. When I turn the screen off, no glance comes up at all. I can only get it to show up for a split second when I block the proximity sensor for 10 seconds or so and then unblock it. I've tried hard resetting, Windows Device Recovery, and soft resets thinking that it may be a software or a recent firmware update but nothing fixes it. The proximity sensor works fine when I place a phone call.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I have exactly the same issue. Mine didn't immediately stopped but slowly died and now after todays update that I wished fixed it, its completely broken. For me it all started after the FW update, Glance screen would barely be visible and I could see flickers of the screen trying to illuminate. I have booked the device for repairs and was planning to send it off today but as I see that there are others with this issue, im now inclined to wait to see if there is a fix. I have literally done exactly as you described above to resolve the issue and came away with the same results.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, didn't work. Tried both reg restart and soft reset. Something definitely f'd with this update. First office and now glance, MS is killing me...

Did you do a restore after the hard reset? Sometimes that's what messes things up. Sounds odd but you may be moving something over that was causing issues that got backed up.

Can't say for sure, but the fact that it works for most people and only some are having trouble shows something is off on the unit. Definitely not hardware as this is all software driven. Sensors shouldn't matter if you have it set to always on.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Did you do a restore after the hard reset? Sometimes that's what messes things up. Sounds odd but you may be moving something over that was causing issues that got backed up.

Can't say for sure, but the fact that it works for most people and only some are having trouble shows something is off on the unit. Definitely not hardware as this is all software driven. Sensors shouldn't matter if you have it set to always on.

Ill give that a try, I have lost all data already so I guess that this wouldn't hurt to have one last try. Thanks for the info. Ill update afterwards.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Glance is not working at all or is glance incredibly dim? Either way this may or may not be connected.

I had this issue a few weeks ago. Glance screen would be very dim, barely visible. If I held the proximity sensor down, I could see it clearly for a split second when it activated then it went dim again.

There is a post on the Microsoft Answers forum with people having the same issue, and they simply had to get replacements, which is exactly what I did. Went back to the MS Store, and got a replacement. I'm not sure what made it happen, and any soft resets or hard resets would not fix it.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Glance is not working at all or is glance incredibly dim? Either way this may or may not be connected.

I had this issue a few weeks ago. Glance screen would be very dim, barely visible. If I held the proximity sensor down, I could see it clearly for a split second when it activated then it went dim again.

There is a post on the Microsoft Answers forum with people having the same issue, and they simply had to get replacements, which is exactly what I did. Went back to the MS Store, and got a replacement. I'm not sure what made it happen, and any soft resets or hard resets would not fix it.

Thank you very much for this post. I have been driving myself nuts. I have done so many hard resets and soft resets. Loaded my phone without backups or signing in but this issue still persisted. For me it happened after the FW update. At least now I can send the device to Hungary for repairs. Currently there isn't a MS store in the UK I know of so I guess it's weeks of waiting for me. Can you provide link for MS Answers post?.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Thank you very much for this post. I have been driving myself nuts. I have done so many hard resets and soft resets. Loaded my phone without backups or signing in but this issue still persisted. For me it happened after the FW update. At least now I can send the device to Hungary for repairs. Currently there isn't a MS store in the UK I know of so I guess it's weeks of waiting for me. Can you provide link for MS Answers post?.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...k-nearly/f01b8c81-27e7-4ed8-845b-df62c273c873

That's the post. The post mentions another post in German with the same issues. I can't read German of course so I don't know what it says, but someone else basically says they got replacements. There is also a reply on that post with someone from Hungary as well.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...k-nearly/f01b8c81-27e7-4ed8-845b-df62c273c873

That's the post. The post mentions another post in German with the same issues. I can't read German of course so I don't know what it says, but someone else basically says they got replacements. There is also a reply on that post with someone from Hungary as well.

Thanks again. I did some quick test to confirm the issue was HW and not SW by holding my finger over the proximity sensor while the device is supposed to be in glance mode. On my device the screen is very dim so while doing the above action it would turn the screen of completely but as soon as I stopped covering the proximity sensor, the glance screen would burst into life as normal but only for a split second, then return to either being very dim or not visible at all. I took some pics to show comparison between my 1020 both running the latest update to glance app.

Also, after reading that MSA site, ill be sending pics along with device to repairs in Hungary.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again. I did some quick test to confirm the issue was HW and not SW by holding my finger over the proximity sensor while the device is supposed to be in glance mode. On my device the screen is very dim so while doing the above action it would turn the screen of completely but as soon as I stopped covering the proximity sensor, the glance screen would burst into life as normal but only for a split second, then return to either being very dim or not visible at all. I took some pics to show comparison between my 1020 both running the latest update to glance app.

Also, after reading that MSA site, ill be sending pics along with device to repairs in Hungary.

I can't figure out if its hardware or software. I mean, if it were hardware and the screen was not functioning properly, I would think that it would also not function normally when its on, but the screen looks and appears to be just fine through normal operation. If it were the light sensor, then you would think the auto screen dimming would also not work properly, but that appeared to be working fine as well. If it were an update, or an Insider build, then you think you could fix it with a hard reset or with the WDRT, but Glance hadn't had any updates on the 950 XL until just a few days ago, and a hard reset does nothing.

The fact that it does operate normally for a split second and then immediately dim makes me think its either a software glitch or the light sensor, but just can't be sure. Not enough people with the same issue to replicate or for MS to say anything. At least my local MS Store was kind enough to just replace it.

DreadVenom

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I can't figure out if its hardware or software. I mean, if it were hardware and the screen was not functioning properly, I would think that it would also not function normally when its on, but the screen looks and appears to be just fine through normal operation. If it were the light sensor, then you would think the auto screen dimming would also not work properly, but that appeared to be working fine as well. If it were an update, or an Insider build, then you think you could fix it with a hard reset or with the WDRT, but Glance hadn't had any updates on the 950 XL until just a few days ago, and a hard reset does nothing.

The fact that it does operate normally for a split second and then immediately dim makes me think its either a software glitch or the light sensor, but just can't be sure. Not enough people with the same issue to replicate or for MS to say anything. At least my local MS Store was kind enough to just replace it.

I agree with all you have said and its quite annoying that its so hard to pin down the root issue. Luckily for you, you have an ms store to get it replaced, I unfortunately don't have that option.

Edited with links to images and vid...
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!AHYoFBr6DMr7UTM&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ABgGpxAQW1sSDDM&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!APAinCofqbwXquk&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Vid:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...297&authkey=!ANAr6Go8jlE4dIo&ithint=video,mp4

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss