Very Strange.....Microsoft 950 XL

smtwtfs

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
OK I will try to make this long story as short as possible but I am stumped and need help to understand....
1. Longtime Verizon customer and have unlimited data, but got tired of paying extra for the hotspot and also the fact that they do not have any decent windows phones.
2. Decided to try AT&T....with a few caveats
a. Bought the unlocked 950XL at Microsoft store, so I have 30 days to try out
b. Currently still have my Icon on Verizon until I am certain that I like the XL [30 days :)]
c. Started a new line on AT&T but did not transfer my old Verizon number until I am ready to leave for good.
Bottom line: Two phones, Two carriers, Two completely different phone numbers, signing onto Microsoft with one email account for both.
OK, here is where it gets weird...
950 XL has 15gb of data, two sims, but I am only using one.
1. When I check my data usage, Sim one space shows the data that I am using BUT it is also showing SIM 2 is using data, but I don't have a sim card in there????

2. I left my Verizon phone home and went out with only the 950XL, I turned on the hotspot and what shows up on my 950XL? the make and model of the ICON on the Verizon plan with the password that I use. Yet this phone is at least 10 miles away from my new phone?

Questions...
1. Who can explain this?
2. I know everything says that the 950 XL will not work on Verizon, but will it?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
It could just be a glitch with your Microsoft Account syncing the two phones. The Lumia 950 XL has two SIM slots and your Microsoft Account is trying to compensate for substituting in the other cellular account, even if it won't work (I'm certain that if you tried to text or call using the second SIM, nothing would happen).
Now I actually think the Lumia 950 XL has limited use on Verizon. It's not that the Lumia 950 XL doesn't have the bands (although I'm certain you won't get great service or LTE) but that there's no support or compatibility from Verizon, effectively locking the Lumia 950 XL from working correctly. I'm probably getting some details messed up or maybe I don't have the full story but I'm no expert on this, just trying to reason through it.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Actually, to answer your question, if you restored from your backup, which it looks like you did, then it also gets the same hotspot info from your Icon. Though, to answer the data usage, not 100% sure on that, unless it shows the same data from your Icon as SIM 2?

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
It's a bug with Data Usage as of right now... You don't have to worry about it as the data usage for SIM 1 is actually correct.

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
@smtwtfs can you please reply in my thread 950xl dual sim please? Thanks
As the poster prior stated i think you're seeing icon as that device is the one originally on your Verizon WiFi account. Im figuring you're seeing your account data rather than what device you're using. So more to do with your account setup.
950's don't work on Verizon. That's no fault of the 950. The hardware is there. However, Verizon needs to commission the sim on devices to enable the bands which they have blatantly refused to do with the 950. However, you can still try your icon sim if it fits. (Which i doubt they are the same size) Never know.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

lankylars

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: working on Verizon: the phone has GSM antennae, no CDMA - the antenna technology that Verizon uses on its network. My understanding is that the LTE bands are actually common between Verizon and other, "normal" GSM carriers. However, anything 4G down on Verizon's network will not work on your phone. Furthermore, I believe that Verizon would need to take some step on their end to even allow the 950/950 XL to connect to the network. In other words, the new Windows Phones are almost certainly inoperable in any way on Verizon's network.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs