W10M - New Firmware Version for 950/950XL and current Problems.

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
New firmware update is highly needed, it is already over a month and there is so much to fix, all these issues remain since devices have been released and latest firmware from December.

Current important problems, issues existing on L950/950XL. Would be really nice if new firmware could bring fixes to a:

1. Audio Playback: static noise, buzz and clicking sounds when changing tracks, not a great audio playback quality using high quality 92Hz, 24Bit audio files, disappointing frequency response and added distortion, etc. using Headphones jack.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...plays-jittery-anyone-else-having-problem.html
https://www.reddit.com/r/windowsphone/comments/3xs40o/flagship_lumia_950_xl_hissing_sound_on_left/

2. Speaker: poping, clicking sounds problem with main speaker, which is highly discussed.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...s-quiet-hiss-pop-noise-every-six-seconds.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...oying-ticking-popping-sound-while-locked.html

3. Performance: both 950/950XL have really great hardware, but somehow it is not as fast as it should be, considering top-notch Processors and 3GB of RAM. Problems while multi-tasking, browsing internet, long Loading times, bad fps on demanding games, when other devices with same processors and even lower RAM, has better performance. OS optimization or firmware problem.

4. WiFi: There are various problems on 2.4 GHz, speed, really slow download speed, or web load-time, stability, connectivity, etc. Current firmware should have fixed them, but not everything and not for everyone, mostly just for 5 GHz.
Addition: After .71 update, WiFi consumes way more battery energy, twice as much if not more.

5. SD Storage: there are still various problems, stability, accessibility and battery drain caused by SD card.

6. Battery: newest/current firmware claimed to increase battery life, but not so much after all, mostly just for stand-by. Using various Apps, multi-tasking, specially Internet browsing, Edge, UC Browser, YouTube, Baconit, etc. enormously drains battery. And other reports for random battery drains/loss and huge percentages loss after Restarting, Turning on/off device.

7. Screen: Incorrect colors and calibration, problem with deep black colors and rendering. Probably problem with firmware or video driver.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/mi...bration-problem-please-test-post-results.html

I know there are a lot more to Add, but in my eyes these are mainly most important Firmware and OS issues.
Feel free to add more.

Currently on L950/950XL .71 and newest firmware 01078.00027.15506.xxxxx.

If someone could ADD this to a Sticky Thread, that would really raise attention and could help. These are really important issues and need to be known and reported to a Microsoft.

Let's keep this thread alive, with updates on current Issues specific for L950 and 950XL, there are really serious problems and we need to get Microsoft attention, these are mostly firmware/driver issues not OS, so please focus on that.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Roland Stoll

May 2, 2014
Visit site
Re: W10M - New Firmware Version for 950/950XL and other.

If you are in the in the insider program, you won't get the new firmware for l950/950xl.
With the windows insider app update yesterday it is now pretty easy to leave this insider program without hard-resetting your phone. :)
After leaving the insider program you should get the firmware update through the windows update (depending on your provider).
After updating your firmware, you can return to the insider program.

Tried this yesterday, worked as expected... ;-)

ariman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site

Idk whether it just me or what.. I think that battery life drains faster after the firmware update.. :/ im on .63 insider.. Just finished the update 3 hour ago

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

Is that 01078.00027.15506.xxxxx from december or a brand new firmware?

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site

No one has anything to add to the list? to send it to a Windows Feedback.

Red5goahead

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I've the Wi-Fi problem due bluetooth simultaneous use
To me probably the only big issue with my Lumia 950 right now (insider slow ring .36)

cristixxxlog

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
OS - .63 insider:
FW - latest.

1. Still some "Resuming" here and there, most notably on 8.1 apps but not restricted to that.
Happens sometimes on the Phone app too but for no more than 1 sec.
2. Random reboots. Once every ~3 days. Sometimes goes in a reboot frenzy,like 3 in a row, but this is extremely rare, happend only twice in the past 2 weeks.
3. Edge is crap. Reloading tabs everytime I switch from one to another. Pressing the tabs button sometimes takes like 5 seconds to go into the tabs screen. Also scrolling is not fluid.
4. Sometimes fails to wakeup the screen. I have to either press multiple times, or keep the button pressed untill the turn-off screen appears. Once had to force restart.
5. Apps ocasionaly crash to home screen. Notably settings.
6. When the alarm rings, if I touch anywhere inside the alarm box and not on either of the 2 buttons (snooze/dismiss) it turns off the alarm. This is a MASSIVE issue that can have bad effects when getting late for work, or miss a plane/train/appointment. Also, the dismiss button needs to be transformed into a gesture, not a simple tap. Can be like the unlock screen or the turn off gesture. Make it a bit more harder ro dismiss an alarm.
7. Bad performance overall. 8.1 apps are slow as a turtle. Very bad experience. Also the general speed of the system. It is SLOW!
8. Animations take too long. Make them shorter.

And have some more, I'm sure.... but this is all I can remember right now.

Sent from mTalk

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know whether the caller echo has been fixed? The suspicion was that this was related to some flaw in the 'Hey Cortana' software or hardware.

I hope the OP can keep the first post updated with the latest status of most common flaws, because I want to know when I can safely try buying another 950XL.

Edit: NVM, I may have pressed 'buy' for another 950XL.. I guess I'm going to find out if any flaws remain! :D

Last edited:

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
There are really a lot of serious issues, software and hardware wise, that I never seen on Lumias before, maybe because W10M are really new thing, but really hoping that we will see new firmwares with driver updates that will fix all the flaws, because nevertheless, L950/950XL are really amazing devices.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe an announcement to come into this week...patch/updates look ready to be released soon according to wmpoweruser.com.
I can't paste the URL but the build they mention is for non-insiders (10586.71).

Gordorfc

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Guys

I have had my 950XL since early December and thought I would post a list of the problems and issues I have had and am still having and hopefully some of you can share any fixes that I still have outstanding.

1: Windows 10 Mobile (10.0.10586.29) Update Lumia 950 XL: I had serious issues getting this update, initially it was failing with the Low Space warning and burning through 100% battery life in an hour. I had to hard reset the device 3 times before Microsoft admitted a problem and pulled the update until it was fixed. Only after this did it finally install....not a good start when a brand new device has an Update screwing it up in the first day.
2: Email messages not giving audio warnings when arriving, despite being set to do so.
3: Email Start Screen Shortcut constantly has 1 Email showing as delivered when there is none, it has been stuck at this for over a month now.
4: Edge Browser Issues: Various issues with trying to reply to forums etc online, even Microsoft Forums. The device starts to get really hot and the lag in typing makes it unfit for this simple task.
5: Sounds: When locking the phone there used to be a 'click' like noise signalling it was locked....this stopped working for no reason an I can not get it to come back, handy and something I was used to having had a Windows Phone for years.
6: Alarm & Clock App: The Alarm clock app has completely screwed up. It doesn't open, freezing up the phone if attempted. I tried uninstalling it, but can't as it does the same. I went to the store and there was an Update for it showing so I proceeded to install it, but that too fails and I cant add, remove or do anything with it.
7: Glance Screen: There are several issues on the Glance Screen that are really annoying. WhatsApp sometimes shows up, but often doesn't. Email shows up with 1 email constantly and most annoying my Battery App doesn't update....so I am constantly logging in to see the state of the battery....which defeats the purpose oh having an updateable tile etc
8:Network Issues: I often lose WiFi connection for no reason, all other devices are fine but the 950XL loses it....it does pick it up mostly but sometimes have to disable and re-enable WiFi
9: Device suddenly reboots: This happens quite often, sometimes I just glance down and see it restarting, not touched it or even looked at it but it restarts. It doesn't cause much of an issue but should it reboot its self for no reason, or are there updates being applied that I don't know about?
10: Iris Recognition: I have stopped using this, I found it rather strange that in setting it up it asks you to remove your glasses, and for some people, myself included, I am quite challenged without them so following the instructions without them was a bit strange. Once set up, with glasses on, I find it is so hit or miss I ended up using my PIN more....bit to go on that technology I think.

Apart from that, everything is fine lol. Seriously though, is it good enough to have so many issues with a new device? I was an early adopter of the Nokia Lumia 920 and can not remember this amount of pain and grief and that was before the Insider Program was started and expanded....what do they test and what gets done with any results?
I read a new update may be due out soon.....I wonder what raft of issues that will either FIX or what raft of new issues it will create, in the Windows Phone world it can be any or many of either or all !!!!

Ariman Amin

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Os - .63
Firmware - latest
Device - 950 xl (Aus single sim)

What has been fixed..
- no more over heating
- iris scanner works super damn fine
- "Hey cortana"
- living images
- no reboot (actually i only experienced reboot for only one time since i buythe phone)

What not yet been fixed
- battery is drowning quite fast with moderate use (only good in standby mode)
- Microsoft edge

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Maybe an announcement to come into this week...patch/updates look ready to be released soon according to wmpoweruser.com.
I can't paste the URL but the build they mention is for non-insiders (10586.71).
Read that too, but It will be OS update so most likely it won't fix any issues I mentioned, because those are mostly firmware, driver related. Unless firmware would come with it too, would be really lovely.

Os - .63
Firmware - latest
Device - 950 xl (Aus single sim)

What has been fixed..
- no more over heating
- iris scanner works super damn fine
- "Hey cortana"
- living images
- no reboot (actually i only experienced reboot for only one time since i buythe phone)

What not yet been fixed
- battery is drowning quite fast with moderate use (only good in standby mode)
- Microsoft edge
That is OS related, and will get fixed or will get better eventually.

Rupert Holmes

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Call me, when tap to wake works, and visual voice mail, and Here maps. Maybe LTE was working, but I was so distracted with the afore mentioned items, it just did not matter. Returned dual sim XL, not missing it. Carrying 1020 W/8.1

TheChazas

Dec 21, 2015
Visit site
Let's keep this thread alive, with updates on current Issues specific for L950 and 950XL, there are really serious problems and we need to get Microsoft attention, these are mostly firmware/driver issues not OS, so please focus on that.

Recently thread been moved to a 950XL, but keep in mind, most of the issues share and are present for both L950 and 950XL phones.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I would change or add to the title of this thread something to indicate its for people on the insider preview. Insider preview builds are just that, previews. I would expect the previews to be somewhat buggy. If they were rock solid there would be no need for a preview. So its important to discuss the issues with the preview builds, but they should be kept separate from any issues with the current release build. Combining the two just seems confusing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro