Reset Protection feature missing?

pavparx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I was reading the article about encrypting your device here on windows central , and read in the comments that there is a feature called Reset Protection in earlier windows phone versions. I am a new windows phone user and I was searching to enable this feature in find my phone section in settings but it's not there, also I checked online with the IMEI of my device to check if it's enabled and it's not, so I guess that if the phone gets stolen and the thief switches the sim card, he'll be able to create a new windows account without resetting the phone? Anyone has any info on this feature?

pavparx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've checked there, there is no such switch. All I have in find my phone is 2 options, both for storing the location of the phone.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Reset protection is only going to be for the newer Microsoft handsets, the feature is hardware dependent & has to be enabled at the time of manufacturer. Handsets that are compatible the setting will be there for the owner to switch the feature on / off as they require.

pavparx

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, Lumia 950 XL is the newest handset as far as I know...And my phone hardware version is European so maybe it's not available yet for me. Anyway, thanks for replying guys.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I've already asked about it here ( forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/400058-no-reset-protection-950xl.html ) and there's a small discussion. Also, the FAQ mentioned by Pete on MS site was removed, but when it still was there it was written here that the feature is only available for US.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Last edited:

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread. I dont understand why MS is making this US exclusive.

This feature makes a ton of sense but cannot be activated on my German 950 XL as well.
At the same time the MS account website shows this feature when logged in.

I guess we have to wait and hope.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for starting this thread. I dont understand why MS is making this US exclusive.

This feature makes a ton of sense but cannot be activated on my German 950 XL as well.
At the same time the MS account website shows this feature when logged in.

I guess we have to wait and hope.

I am not 100% sure but in the US MS and others committed ("where forced?") to this kind of feature.. And I guess Europe did not get a "law" yet to "force" them to do it in Europe.(or the rest of the world)
http://www.amta.org.au/articles/US-industry-announces-smartphone-anti-theft-voluntary-commitment

So I think this is a US "exclusive" because they are "forced" to do it and not because they "like" the US more.
Anyhow I hope that this feature also will be available world wide.

wpctrlfan

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Yes true - I read about it and they (iOS, Android, WP, etc.) had to deliver until a certain deadline.
There's no such law in Europe but indeed it would be great if this feature would be enabled in EU too.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You mean the cons for the manufacturer to include it?

In short, it will cost them money (time/resources etc.) to include it and they will not earn something from it.

Furthermore if it is included and a owner want to flash his phone but forgot he enabled it and does not know his password anymore the manufacturer will be "blamed" by some of these persons.
And if the protaction is hacked they will be the made the "laughing stock" by the media.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720