01-27-2016 11:14 PM
178 1234 ...
tools
    Better wait for the iphone 12 it is gonna be a beast..
    At least 0.2mm thinner!
    01-13-2016 03:44 PM
    Honestly, my family members all look at my phone with envy (for ui and camera mostly, some also love the sleek professional look of it). But due to the overwhelming amount of negativity I see about the 950s online, I've told them to look elsewhere for a phone. I know all too well that online PR and uninformed/loud voices with bad experiences can completely ruin someone's perception or enjoyment of something.

But personally, I highly recommend it. All devices are going to have issues, regardless of what brand is on it. The worst of mine are that I have to restart Bluetooth occasionally and Hulu doesn't have a continuum enabled app, so i can't use it to cast to my Chromecast.

But beyond that, the day to day experience with this phone is great. These are all 3rd party apps that I adore far more than the official versions on Android:

Aeries (twitter)
    Readit (best reddit client feature-wise, better performance would make it perfect)
    PerfectTube (YouTube is ad free on windows mobile btw)
    Ouga (Tumblr)
    Unstreams (Twitch)

Bookviser is also so much better for an epub reader/organizer than anything I've been able to find on competing platforms.

As far as Microsofts own offerings go, Groove is best on Windows Mobile. The Android app is terrible, but Groove is Imo very good now. And nothing quite beats live tiles for calendar and email accounts.

But the real winner here is the camera. I have so much fun with it. It does such a good job on the auto settings--completely effortless.
    libra89, nycny and MN_Wolverine like this.
    01-13-2016 03:59 PM
    The phone is fantastic..but unfortunately you must be prepared to do some BETA testing, beacause there are still a lot of annoying bugs. Do not expect it to be running smoothly and without problems. You might see an ocasional restart, bluetooth connection dropping, noise cancelling not working, etc. I am not saying that this is always happening, but sometimes it does.
    01-13-2016 04:39 PM
    The phone is fantastic..but unfortunately you must be prepared to do some BETA testing, beacause there are still a lot of annoying bugs. Do not expect it to be running smoothly and without problems. You might see an ocasional restart, bluetooth connection dropping, noise cancelling not working, etc. I am not saying that this is always happening, but sometimes it does.
    disagree with your post, I have NONE of those problems with my phone 0, zilch, nada... maybe YOUR phone does, but don't project those problems on other phones...
    01-13-2016 08:42 PM
    If I were shopping for a new WP, personally I'd go with a 1520 right now and wait for the surface phone. But that's me.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    01-13-2016 08:51 PM
    Zenfone 2 android already has a Intel chip in their phone: Z3580 and 3590
    01-13-2016 09:22 PM
    I will wait Surface Phone (if they exist). But if Surface phone does not exist, I will buy next High End Lumia. Given that Microsoft may launch Surface Phone and High End Lumia at the same time. Or Microsoft will launch the High End Lumia first, and a few months later, they will launch Surface Phone. You do not have to wait too long for both smart phone. At that time you will have more choices. I will not buy the Lumia 950 or 950 XL now, because I've seen various issues on the phone. Although they have been replaced with a new phone, but there are still many problems occur. 950 and 950 XL seems to experiments product by Microsoft. I will wait until Windows Mobile software becomes more stable and mature, possible when Surface Phone launched later , if they exist, or next High End Lumia come.
    DT_17 likes this.
    01-13-2016 10:29 PM
    I will wait Surface Phone (if they exist). But if Surface phone does not exist, I will buy next High End Lumia. Given that Microsoft may launch Surface Phone and High End Lumia at the same time. Or Microsoft will launch the High End Lumia first, and a few months later, they will launch Surface Phone. You do not have to wait too long for both smart phone. At that time you will have more choices. I will not buy the Lumia 950 or 950 XL now, because I've seen various issues on the phone. Although they have been replaced with a new phone, but there are still many problems occur. 950 and 950 XL seems to experiments product by Microsoft. I will wait until Windows Mobile software becomes more stable and mature, possible when Surface Phone launched later , if they exist, or next High End Lumia come.
    I got my 950 XL since day one of release on Thanksgiving and my phone has been running smoothly without any major problems ever since so don't assume all 950 XL are problematic. I have already retired my aging outdated 1520 since the day I replaced it on Thanksgiving night and it is now collecting dust on the shelf.
    01-13-2016 10:39 PM
    Here are my 2 cents :)

I was waiting so bad for lumia 950 xl to come out, so i could buy it on day 1. So the day came, went straight to one of the stores, cash in my hand, then i saw they only sell single SIM. So i decided not to buy it, and look for it online. A few days later, i got lucky with Surface pro 4 and won an ebay auction. This way my need to buy a 950xl disappeared, for now. Also, to be honest, my Lumia 930 is still a quite powerful phone, runs quite good considering win 10 technical preview. So i will just save some money and wait for this rumored Surface phone or a new flagship lumia, and buy that :)

How i would like a surface pone to look? Take SP4 and scale it down, use the same materials, and that would be it :D
    01-14-2016 02:53 AM
    Maybe your Lumia 950 XL works fine. But do not assume that all Lumia 950 or 950 XL also works well ... In my place there are two Microsoft store that were forced to stop selling Lumia 950 and XL 950 because there are many problems, including restart unexpectedly. This happened globally ... I am a windows fan and Lumia users. But what happening is the fact...
    01-14-2016 06:29 AM
    disagree with your post, I have NONE of those problems with my phone 0, zilch, nada... maybe YOUR phone does, but don't project those problems on other phones...
    Are you using BT headset or car connection a lot?
    As for noice cancelling, there are other users with exactly the same problem, it seem so have something to do with hey cortana. As I said => BETA.
    01-14-2016 06:51 AM
    Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??
    Good luck on that rumor. Because it's not confirmed by Microsoft, plus the 950 just came out, and Microsoft took 1.5 years to come with a flagship. So, if you're willing to wait until 2018, then go ahead and wait for the "surface" phone.
    01-14-2016 08:05 AM
    Maybe your Lumia 950 XL works fine. But do not assume that all Lumia 950 or 950 XL also works well ... In my place there are two Microsoft store that were forced to stop selling Lumia 950 and XL 950 because there are many problems, including restart unexpectedly. This happened globally ... I am a windows fan and Lumia users. But what happening is the fact...
    So, you never owned one and you automatically assume if you get one it will have problems? Ok whatever works for you.
    01-14-2016 08:17 AM
    If your willing to wait till September and use the first generation of whatever they put in it. Qualcomm socs have been around for ages and ms still had issues that require firmware updates and such. Look at surface book and pro 4. Many issues that require lots of updates and firmware. I rather use xl till they get a 2nd gen surface phone. Latest firmware update and os had made the xl awesome fixing many issues including the Bluetooth ones. So your complaints are all being fixed. They were pulled because the firmware and software was just not stable enough for general audience but as they sort things out can only get better. Honestly I love my xl. Spend more time in it than on pc. I also use it in continuum as my main non gaming pc. It's still early stages so I'll use new rdp app to gaming machine if I need anything where apps don't support continuum or w32 apps.
    01-14-2016 08:45 AM
    Well, for me, this is easy:

950 is not the best looking, but it has the best spec for now.
    Surface phone will be top notch in 8-10months. But:
    Well, it's possible they will not be ARM, so, somewhat really inovative for that form factor. Look at the first surface, and at the surface book, there were (and are, for the SB) lots of problems, regarding the build conception, or even the firmware/software. The first really amazing surface tablet for me is the 3rd, and I'm pretty sure the surface phone 2 will be a huge improvment over the first one.

So all in all, I prefer to have a good phone now, let the "test phone" be, and go for the second iteration of the surface phone, which in any case will be better than the 950 AND the surface phone of this year.

Now that I have the 950XL in my hand,I have no doubts I will keep it for two year, whatever the first surface phone will be.
    jcrod73 likes this.
    01-14-2016 09:05 AM
    Here are my 2 cents :)

... Also, to be honest, my Lumia 930 is still a quite powerful phone, runs quite good considering win 10 technical preview. ...:D
    I was thinking the same thing. But the specs for the 950XL did me in and I ordered one the other day, should be arriving today. While I love my unlocked 930 (also on Win10 Insider) the 950 XL's larger AMOLED screen, dual-sim capability, SD card expansion, Glance screen support, replaceable battery/back plate, and multiple LTE band support are all too good of reasons to not pass it by. I think Microsoft's idea of their rumoured Surface Phone will be going through some growing pains if a 1st Gen ever sees the light of day.
    jcrod73 likes this.
    01-14-2016 09:52 AM
    Because I already bought 950 XL, and has twice sent to the service center. Finally, Microsoft gave me a new Lumia 950 XL. But still suffer from various problems such as can not send SMS, camera and battery problems. Finally I had to make an exchange to buy Lumia 950 and free continuum. However Lumia 950 also face the problem with continuum. Then I gave it to my sister, because my sister did not want to use continuum. I lose money with the purchase of this Lumia 950 XL. I've bought a lot of phone from Nokia and now Microsoft. But the purchase of 950 XL most disappoints me. Finally, sales of Lumia 950 and 950XL had stopped in my place. And I received advice from Microsoft store employees that I better wait until next high end Lumia in future (2016).
    01-14-2016 10:02 AM
    I was thinking the same thing. But the specs for the 950XL did me in and I ordered one the other day, should be arriving today. While I love my unlocked 930 (also on Win10 Insider) the 950 XL's larger AMOLED screen, dual-sim capability, SD card expansion, Glance screen support, replaceable battery/back plate, and multiple LTE band support are all too good of reasons to not pass it by. I think Microsoft's idea of their rumoured Surface Phone will be going through some growing pains if a 1st Gen ever sees the light of day.
    Well all those things look really nice, but when i asked myself what would i really need right now, the answer is a bigger screen and a dual sim support. The rest is still good enough in my L930. Considering this phone cots more than 600€ here in Europe, i decided it is not worth it yet. Maybe when the price gets down :)
    01-14-2016 10:41 AM
    One thing that is definitely silly is that Microsoft is selling the unlocked dual SIM 950 XL here in the US, where almost no one has any use for dual SIM, but the "international" version is single SIM. I do not understand how they came to the conclusion that this arrangement is better, especially given the current inability to use dual SIM devices with visual voicemail in the US.
    01-14-2016 11:27 AM
    I'm waiting for more information on the Surface phone, whilst waiting the cost of a 950xl will drop, more apps will be available and bugs etc will be fixed.... when the info comes out i'll then decide whether to wait or go for the 950xl...
    Currently I'm on 925, which is fine whilst I wait...
    01-14-2016 11:47 AM
    Are you using BT headset or car connection a lot?
    As for noice cancelling, there are other users with exactly the same problem, it seem so have something to do with hey cortana. As I said => BETA.
    yes I do use my BT but not to my car radio for calls, here is my set up... I have my phone connected to my BT earpiece and I also have my phone connected to my car stereo via cassette adapter to stream my music from Spotify or slacker radio through my cassette player because my radio doesn't have an aux in... when I get a call, my music stream stops/pauses and transfers to my BT ear piece for the duration of the call, after my call and I hang up, the phone automatically switches back to my music SEAMLESSLY and without problems. also works when I get a txt message and Cortana reads me my message on my BT and then my music resumes... with no problems and no disconnection of my BT...
    jcrod73 likes this.
    01-14-2016 11:54 AM
    I too use BT in the car\truck. In the truck it is a Pioneer Head Unit that works flawlessly with the 950XL. (Cortana and Groove)
    Admittedly, in the car I use the OEM XM radio for the most part, but still get my text msgs and voice call support through BT. I should also admit that I get very few voice calls because I pretty much established many years ago that I prefer email\text. So the reports of unstable voice calling might be something I would experience. But I wouldn't know.
    01-14-2016 12:05 PM
    Another Nokia phone is coming soon later this year. Not sure if it's an Android or another WP...
    01-14-2016 12:29 PM
    If you can afford to do a one to 1.5 year upgrade cycle, get the 950 or 950 XL now and then await the Surface Phone. The 950 XL has been a positive experience overall for me. There are still many kinks to be worked out of W10, but Microsoft has moved to a frequent update model which is a welcome change for how smartphone updates are handled.
    Carriers in the US are abandoning contract subsidies so you have to pay in full or do the next plan and pay monthly for the phone.
    01-14-2016 01:09 PM
    I have a lumia 920, and i was planning on getting the 950xl... but after seeing that it costs 636€ with 2 years contract (Slovenia) i discovered that my 3 years old 920 runs win10 perfectly! ;) i'll probably wait for the next flagship, and hopefully it will be a lot nicer than 950... (xl is ok, i guess)
    01-14-2016 01:16 PM
178 1234 ...