Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

ordivergens

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

Buy the 950 XL and enjoy it! Even if this mythical "Surface Phone" is released at the end of the year, there is no guarantee that it will be a dramatically superior phone compared to the 950 XL, maybe the camera won't be as good, maybe it will have an Intel x86 soc if they can find a way to cut down on the wattage of the SOC, maybe it will be geared towards the business type of user, maybe get delayed to 2017 release, maybe get canceled, etc... who knows? The point is, when/if it comes out, it being a first generation product, there will be bugs and issues just like any new phone, and it will probably cost an arm and a leg...

So, I say, buy the 950 XL now, use it, enjoy it (With the recent updates, it really is a pretty good phone!). When/if the surface phone comes out, wait for reviews, bugs to get ironed out, etc. Sell the 950 XL and buy the new phone if it seems like a dramatic improvement to the 950 XL, otherwise continue using the 950 XL and wait for the second gen "Surface phone" in 2017/18. No point in torturing yourself with the 640 XL for the next few months/years while you wait.

Dinky89484

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Buy the 950 XL. Slap a Mozo back cover on it if you want that premium feel (I know, it should have already had that premium feel out the box but whaddaya gonna do). Expansys USA has the 950 XL for a very reasonable price! It'll last you past the first iteration of the future Surface Phone. Then get the second generation Surface Phone after hopefully all the bugs and kinks have been ironed out.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
agree with the others. buy the 950XL and enjoy it. why torture yourself with the 640. the mythical Surface Phone may or may not become reality. if it does show up, sell the 950XL

venki m

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Don't wait for surface phone you need wait for life time may be surface phone is just a myth... Windows 10 mobile itself is taking so long to release to public, just imagine how much time will it take to manufacture surface phone... Better buy 950xl

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Get 950xl. I'm getting one soon; I am just waiting all the issues to be fixed by Microsoft (firmware updates) and Win 10 Mobile to be smoother to address battery concerns, heating etc.

Sent from mTalk

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
I have to chime in and say go for it! I luv my 950XL.. anyone else find they can't put their 950XLs down? I'm always picking it up and doing anything on it just for the sake of picking it up LOL

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok here are the ups and downs:

Assuming the Surface Phone is true and comes out, it will probably be (rumors) a ~6inch phone/tablet device with Surface pen support. Assuming all rumors are true, it will be a Intel Atom based, and have the ability to run Win32 programs under continuum. Resolution should be the same as the 950XL, as the Intel Atom CPU integrated graphics can only do so much (keep in mind it will need to drive 2 display for continuum). It would be impossible to run Win32 programs on your phone screen because I can assure you that 99.99% of them would have its interface unusable.

Intel's latest and great Atom should be faster than the CPU in the Lumia 950XL. Not to mention that Microsoft is master at optimizing code for x86-64 architecture as this is what they work on the most.

By the time the Surface Phone is released, Windows 10 Mobile should be FAR more polished, and would feel like a solid polished OS (I mean it would be released end of 2016 is anything, so yea, it is to be expected).

But... you'll be waiting ~1 year for it, and that is assuming it doesn't sell out, and you are able to get your hands on it at release, let alone even exists.
As most reviews of the Lumia 950 series is that they hated the back plate of the device, because "it doesn't use any premium materials", not getting that you need plastic back to have wireless charging, and replace the battery, expect those feature to disappear (unless Microsoft figures something out, which could be possible, as we seen the Surface team is very talented, and have been pulling the impossible a few times in a row), possibly the micro-SD card expansion as well. Although, they might do like Apple with the iPhone 6S Plus 128GB model, where they put an SSD (and this is what REALLY helps the iPhone to be faster). If they use an SSD, expect the price to skyrocket, because SSD of 64GB+ in 1 or 2 chips only, is very costly still (although price is dropping as technology moves forward).

Here is my thought:
-> Surface Phone is real
-> Lumia 950 and 950 XL are test platforms for the Surface Phone. What I mean is notice the different button layout, they are trying on us which button layout is better. The 950XL has a heatsink solution on a hot processor, great for testing out the ability to cool off a powerful Atom CPU (or maybe Core M CPU)
-> The name "Surface" is very strong in North America, "Lumia" is non existent there. So, just the name will push sales of the device. But Microsoft needs to make sure that you have at least the core apps for most people (and that Microsoft needs time, and continue to encourage devs to make Universal Apps), and have an OS polished.

-> Chances are that the Surface Phone will be very well build, and feel high quality as the team is really good on this, and so far, doesn't seem to want to settle for anything else lower in terms of quality. Basically no cutting, despite loosing out on the ability to put better parts (see Surface 3 non-pro).

Those 2 last points alone with more polished Windows 10 Mobile OS, and more apps, will push more favorable, even glowing reviews, which will build further hype and push sales. You might feel disappointed when the times comes if you buy the Lumia 950/950 XL now.

But, on the other side:
-> If you are happy with Windows Phone 8 / Windows 10 Mobile now, you should be fine.
-> You get to enjoy a product early, despite not being perfect at the moment.

If you can wait, and live with your phone for 1 year to a year and half, then wait.
If you can't and want to continue with Windows Phone, then get the Lumia 950/950XL

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I had the 640XL, it was a decent enough phone but a serious step down from my previous Note 4, I sold the Note 4 and bought the 640XL in waiting for the 950XL.. I actually pre-ordered the 950XL but after seeing the 950 and then seeing all the issues being reported with the 950XL I decided to cancel my the order and bought a brand new 1520 for $220.
I decided I'll wait until later this year when the bugs of W10 get fixed and improvements to the 950XL get made(doubting there will be any) or just wait for the Surface Phone arrives around the 3rd quarter of this year, and YES there will be a Surface Phone, Panos Panay and his Surface engineers have already been reported to be working on it since late 2015 The Surface Phone you've always wanted is happening | Windows Central
I'm sure this all will go over like the proverbal f@rt in church here with this group but you asked for opinions :)

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
[ I decided to cancel my the order and bought a brand new 1520 for $220.

My 1520 is showing signs of wear and tear already, ghost touches, capacitive buttons ghost inputs. If my 1520 was still ok, I'd still wait for Surface Phone. But I needed an upgrade already

Sent from mTalk

peter leung 10586

Dec 13, 2015
Visit site
buy the 950xl now. use it. enjoy it. and when there comes the surface phone, buy the surface phone, try it, write reviews about it, share experiences about it with us.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
just buy a 950xl. Surface phone may not even happen. I'm enjoying my 950 xl.

buy the 950 xl and enjoy it!...

buy the 950 xl. Slap a mozo back cover on it if you want that premium feel...

agree with the others. Buy the 950xl and enjoy it. Why torture yourself with the 640...

don't wait for surface phone you need wait for life time may be surface phone is just a myth...better buy 950xl...

get 950xl. I'm getting one soon; i am just waiting all the issues to be fixed by microsoft (firmware updates) and win 10 mobile to be smoother to address battery concerns, heating etc.

get a 950xl...love it :)

i have to chime in and say go for it! I luv my 950xl...

ok here are the ups and downs:...

i had the 640xl, it was a decent enough phone but a serious step down from my previous note 4...

buy the 950xl now. Use it. Enjoy it. And when there comes the surface phone, buy the surface phone, try it, write reviews about it, share experiences about it with us.

i would wait for surface phone 2. First generation might not be that good.

ummm.. 950xl is also first generation, i can guarantee they'll learn from the xl, back cover and premium casing for starters..

thank you all for your responses!!

David Bladen

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
It depends on how long you are willing to wait for the surface phone. I'll probably be getting a 950xl if Vodafone UK ever decide to stock it.

I will say this the 930 is a very good phone to run w10 on, so if you can find one for a decent price it might make a good stop gap if you decide to wait.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
950 XL all the way i switched from VZW to ATT for the phone and i love it, have really no problems with it. And IF there is a SPhone it will be a first gen product like the SBook and do you really want that? It might not be all its cracked up to be EVEN IF it comes out

Robert Heinrich

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
Buy it

If you're not happy with your current device, why would you wait?

Pull the trigger. Most complaints about w10 stem from people running it on old hardware. I have the regular 950 and it works flawlessly. I imagine the XL works just as good if not a tad faster.

There is no reason to wait for a device that may not happen. Surface phone is just a rumor, which even if true, is probably early 2017 the earliest.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion