Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
snip......There is no compelling reason, unless your a blind ****** like me, to get it.........snip......... And before you fanboys and haters start rolling in I got a question for you, give me one compelling reason (not just because its not apple or droid) to invest that kind of money on the 950 series?

You sure seem sure that NOBODY could benefit from having the best Windows phone to date. I'm ok if you don't agree, but just Continuum and Remote Desktop is compelling enough for me. I make my living on the fly, meaning I'm on the grid 24/7 and can be anywhere but a fully equipped office when duty calls. This very phone changes everything for me. Incredibly liberating. It's the ONLY phone in the world, currently, that can do some of the things it does. Are you kidding me? It's an IT assault weapon. :)

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Stay with what you have if its doing the stuff you need, and wait. Either the surface phone comes out, and worthy or by then the 950XL goes down in price or find a used one, and pay less.

That is exactly why I'm going to pick up a 950XL. As someone pointed out what I had said in my original post, that I am not happy with my 640XL.

I just want a F'n phone that works decent enough where it doesn't freeze up on me in front of others!! I had issues with the ICON and with the 640XL that I have now. Constant issues of soft resetting because of it freezing up, I have app icons that don't show the actual app icon just colored squares, typing slowness, apps that don't update correctly, and other issues that I can't remember right now. Yes, I have also done many hard resets as well. Sure, it's probably because of W10M but wtf?? I read all kinds of posts where people say everything works flawlessly on the same devices and someone will reply to this post saying the exact thing, but I'm not seeing it. I guess it's time to move on and try something else. I used to have every iPhone up until I switched from the iPhone 5s. Yes, iOS & Android OS may have bugs as well but you are comparing apples to oranges. Still with the bugs the phone still works good enough to not give you a brain aneurism!! I've come to the point of going back to a damn iPhone a few times but MS has some good potential with what they are doing, where they are going with W10M, and that is keeping me on a Windows Phone but jeeeez!! wtf!!

Last edited:

kakashiax

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I really think that you have a defective phone xD I have the 640 (with 8.1) and it works excellent, so may be your 640 is defective or w10 is not ready.

ymcpa

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Only suggestion is to get the single sim international version. Dual sim doesn't allow visual voicemail to work. Visual voicemail works great on the single sim version. Otherwise, I think it's an amazing phone that is just lacking app support. I did get the mazo case and the phone looks great with it.

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, my family members all look at my phone with envy (for ui and camera mostly, some also love the sleek professional look of it). But due to the overwhelming amount of negativity I see about the 950s online, I've told them to look elsewhere for a phone. I know all too well that online PR and uninformed/loud voices with bad experiences can completely ruin someone's perception or enjoyment of something.

But personally, I highly recommend it. All devices are going to have issues, regardless of what brand is on it. The worst of mine are that I have to restart Bluetooth occasionally and Hulu doesn't have a continuum enabled app, so i can't use it to cast to my Chromecast.

But beyond that, the day to day experience with this phone is great. These are all 3rd party apps that I adore far more than the official versions on Android:

Aeries (twitter)
Readit (best reddit client feature-wise, better performance would make it perfect)
PerfectTube (YouTube is ad free on windows mobile btw)
Ouga (Tumblr)
Unstreams (Twitch)

Bookviser is also so much better for an epub reader/organizer than anything I've been able to find on competing platforms.

As far as Microsofts own offerings go, Groove is best on Windows Mobile. The Android app is terrible, but Groove is Imo very good now. And nothing quite beats live tiles for calendar and email accounts.

But the real winner here is the camera. I have so much fun with it. It does such a good job on the auto settings--completely effortless.

Long nice read. It's good to keep it short, concise.
Often impossible when you have a lot to say.
Love Microsoft long time. Even my best friends get tied up with their bull****. Me too.
Microsoft is acting like a best friend called out for bull****.

Last edited:

ericcoxtcu

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I am very pleased with my 950xl. The latest W10m mobile builds work fine - I've had very few hiccups, though to be fair, I am mainly using it for work. The office apps are working great. The camera has been great (my wife with an iPhone 6 begrudgingly had me taking Christmas light pictures with my phone because they were so much better).

As far as appearance, I actually think the phone looks fine. Most people use a case anyway; my wife bought me the Jack Spade one. I've had a number of complements / questions from people. More importantly, for such a big screen, the phone isn't that big and is pretty easy to handle.

So if you like W10, go for it. I'm very pleased with the overall performance of the phone, more so than I was expecting, TBH.

mayconvert

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Ok...I have a 640XL now. Not happy with it. So at this point should I buy a 950XL (it would be an unlocked one) or should I wait it out and see what becomes of these "Surface Phone" rumors??

other than camera and a little faster processor, what will the 950XL bring to the table for you? you can put W10 on the 640 using insider prog.
that cam and proc is worth $700+ extra ??
Sorry. I LOVE Windows phone, but the 950XL costs WAY too much for a beta OS and a phone with no Good apps.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
other than camera and a little faster processor, what will the 950XL bring to the table for you? you can put W10 on the 640 using insider prog.
that cam and proc is worth $700+ extra ??
Sorry. I LOVE Windows phone, but the 950XL costs WAY too much for a beta OS and a phone with no Good apps.

I have mentioned in a few posts up that I have been using W10M...I've been on the insider program since day one...thanks for the tip...

The 950XL may bring be some sanity...

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
My advice wait until windows 10 mobile is officially released and make your decision then as XL ships currently with the insider preview build and folks have been having serious issues with it.

Greg Wenzler

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
That is exactly why I'm going to pick up a 950XL. As someone pointed out what I had said in my original post, that I am not happy with my 640XL.

I just want a F'n phone that works decent enough where it doesn't freeze up on me in front of others!! I had issues with the ICON and with the 640XL that I have now. Constant issues of soft resetting because of it freezing up, I have app icons that don't show the actual app icon just colored squares, typing slowness, apps that don't update correctly, and other issues that I can't remember right now. Yes, I have also done many hard resets as well. Sure, it's probably because of W10M but wtf?? I read all kinds of posts where people say everything works flawlessly on the same devices and someone will reply to this post saying the exact thing, but I'm not seeing it. I guess it's time to move on and try something else. I used to have every iPhone up until I switched from the iPhone 5s. Yes, iOS & Android OS may have bugs as well but you are comparing apples to oranges. Still with the bugs the phone still works good enough to not give you a brain aneurism!! I've come to the point of going back to a damn iPhone a few times but MS has some good potential with what they are doing, where they are going with W10M, and that is keeping me on a Windows Phone but jeeeez!! wtf!!

Put 8.1 back on your 640XL, let a few months pass while W10 gets sorted out, then decide. 8.1 works fantastic on the 640XL.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should I buy a 950XL or wait for the "Surface Phone"??

Put 8.1 back on your 640XL, let a few months pass while W10 gets sorted out, then decide. 8.1 works fantastic on the 640XL.

I agree totally with you. I have the 640 XL running windows 8.1 update 2 and omg its is so smooth, quick and battery life is insane!! Yes put 8.1 back on your phone and just wait for wp10.

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site

I agree totally with you. I have the 640 XL running windows 8.1 update 2 and omg its is so smooth, quick and battery life is insane!! Yes put 8.1 back on your phone and just wait for wp10.

OK what am I waiting for?? This version of W10 is what will be pushed out to your phones. Maybe a slight different version update but all in all I should be running with no issues now.

Greg Wenzler

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site

OK what am I waiting for?? This version of W10 is what will be pushed out to your phones. Maybe a slight different version update but all in all I should be running with no issues now.

An update a few months down the road that addresses the issues you have. I had a bunch of them too and reverted back. Then they pushed back to first quarter of 2016 and I bailed and went Android. For now.

I look at it this way...if you are deciding between the 950XL or a Surface Phone, I wouldn't wait for the Surface. Based on MS history, it could be a year and a half down the pipeline. I think the 640XL is very solid running 8.1. I'd let a couple months pass and see if MS can quickly address the issues some are facing with W10. Might see a price drop after a couple months. Unless you have some dough burning a hole in your pocket and want a new toy :)

Chris_Milan_Gib

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I had a 930 for the last year and a half. Great phone, even survived falling from my pocket when riding my moped at 40 km/h. Glad the aluminium frame was there to take the knock. Took the dive and got the 950XL just after Christmas and have to say extremely pleased with it. Not once have I had a reboot or the resuming hang screen. I guess everyone has a different experience but so far my has been great and am absolutely loving it.

Chatumbabub

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I would not recommend buying Lumia 950XL. As long term WP user I recently buy this device and it is big disappointment. Mostly because unpolished OS. Stability is quite bad. I have at least 5 random reboots per week, randomly broken Bluetooth(restart is needed), stability of Continuum is a joke, Iris scanner is slow, etc.. In my opinion this is totally unacceptable for device with this price tag.

I'm sorry to say but I will return this device tomorrow.

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Depends. I had the Lumia 930 and 1020. Sold both to buy the 950XL. Believe me, If I could go back in time I would rather kept the 930. The problem(majority) with Windows Phone is the OS. The hardware improves but the OS not so much. The Surface Phone will just add the Pen and maybe few more screen inches. If you prioritize using the Pen I would wait for the Surface phone but the question is: how long it will take the Surface Phone to be released.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I updated from high end 930, only a year old to Lumia 950 XL. Update to 950XL! We all know what first Surface was like. That should be hint enough for you to know that if Surface Phone does become reality, you want to wait till Surface Phone 3 ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss