Turning off 950XL only reboots the phone why it does not stay OFF?
    01-12-2016 08:22 PM
    If you are charging it it won't stay off
    Mesbah and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-12-2016 08:44 PM
    If you're holding the button in for a long time, it will do a soft reset (reboot). You don't have to press it very hard to get the screen that you pull down to turn it off. But if you plug it in to charge it, it comes back on.
    Mesbah likes this.
    01-12-2016 10:47 PM
    Very old time (firmware or hardware) bug
    01-13-2016 07:53 AM
    If you're talking about when you put it on the charger, it's because having it on is better on the battery than having the device turned off while charging.
    Mesbah and TheChazas like this.
    01-13-2016 07:55 AM
    If you're talking about when you put it on the charger, it's because having it on is better on the battery than having the device turned off while charging.
    This info looks amazing, can you offer the reason why it is not good to charge MS 950XL while it is OFF? Thanks.
    01-13-2016 05:45 PM
    This info looks amazing, can you offer the reason why it is not good to charge MS 950XL while it is OFF? Thanks.
    I don't think there's any reason, its just how the Lumias have always been. They turn on when you charge, unless the battery is very very depleted. Then it will stay off for a bit until the charge reaches a certain level.
    Wes Smith likes this.
    01-13-2016 07:57 PM
    Since I have only moved over from BlackBerry to the Lumia 950 XM in the last week I was a little confused as to why it always popped back on if shut off while plugged in. Not sure I fully understand the rationale for it, but at least I know it's normal behavior now!
    01-13-2016 10:03 PM
    Since I have only moved over from BlackBerry to the Lumia 950 XM in the last week I was a little confused as to why it always popped back on if shut off while plugged in. Not sure I fully understand the rationale for it, but at least I know it's normal behavior now!
    Yes it is a normal behavior. My lumia 830 does the same.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-2016 11:07 PM
    When I used BlackBerry I never turned it off, but I put it in Bedside Mode. There is something similar with Windows 10 Mobile (Cortana Quiet Hours). You can turn on Quiet Hours, and the device won't make any sounds at all (or you can pick certain contacts who are important and let their calls/texts come through). That way if you want to charge it overnight it won't annoy you with sounds.
    Alain_A likes this.
    01-13-2016 11:33 PM
    Does QUIET HOURS exist in SETUP menus of 950XL?
    01-13-2016 11:38 PM
    Does QUIET HOURS exist in SETUP menus of 950XL?
    Open Cortana, tap the hamburger menu (top left), then "Notebook", then "Quiet Hours"

I've set up Quiet Hours so that it's active through the night (turns on before I normally go to bed and turns off at the same time as my alarm).

From memory, there's something in the hardware that requires the phone to be powered on in part in order to charge correctly.
    Laura Knotek and Mesbah like this.
    01-14-2016 02:13 AM
    I think Quiet Hours also is one of the default action buttons in the top of the Action Center.
    01-14-2016 09:12 AM
    I can't, this is from memory from someone asking about the same thing about a year ago (different model of phone, of course). Sorry. :\
    01-14-2016 12:27 PM
    When I used BlackBerry I never turned it off, but I put it in Bedside Mode. There is something similar with Windows 10 Mobile (Cortana Quiet Hours). You can turn on Quiet Hours, and the device won't make any sounds at all (or you can pick certain contacts who are important and let their calls/texts come through). That way if you want to charge it overnight it won't annoy you with sounds.
    I discovered Quiet Hours on day one with my Lumia -- so I've been using it since the weekend.

I actually never used "bedside mode" on my BlackBerries over the years. I charge them in my home office, so I would normally just put them on silent. I do like the ability of Quiet Hours to have a call ring through after 2 attempts or to allow certain contacts through.

So far I haven't added any specific contacts -- just allowed a call to come through with 2 attempts in 5 minutes. That seems useful in the case of an emergency.
    01-14-2016 09:49 PM