07-08-2016 05:26 AM
34 12
tools
    Yeah, that's a sweet DSLR. I've got quite a bit older one myself, but it still does the job for most stuff, 16mp is enough, usually, unless you're blowing it up to large poster size or something.

I can probably write the script or managed code, fairly quickly, but I don't have the mobile SDK, or any way to compile or test it.
    Something sort of went "click" last night, literally and figuratively I suppose, when I realized a quick app/utility for this should be pretty simple. There might even be one out there already, I haven't looked...
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-02-2016 05:50 PM
    I'm actually considering getting a dslr - the Nikon D5300 looks good
    Just a heads up. My friend bought a D90 when it was new and quite expensive. She later regretted it, sold it, and got a Canon instead because of the UI.
    She didn't do it because of specs or picture quality, and Nikon is a solid brand. She actually got the cheapest Canon and liked it a lot more.

The UI may not work like you want it to do. Well unless you're used to Nikon. I would try some different brands before buying.
    07-03-2016 06:23 AM
    Just a heads up. My friend bought a D90 when it was new and quite expensive. She later regretted it, sold it, and got a Canon instead because of the UI.
    She didn't do it because of specs or picture quality, and Nikon is a solid brand. She actually got the cheapest Canon and liked it a lot more.

The UI may not work like you want it to do. Well unless you're used to Nikon. I would try some different brands before buying.
    I've never used a dslr so I can't know until I try one out. You're the second person to recommend a canon (out of many who have recommended a Nikon). I'll have to reconsider.
    What's the nearest in a Canon to the D5300?
    07-04-2016 12:16 AM
    I've never used a dslr so I can't know until I try one out. You're the second person to recommend a canon (out of many who have recommended a Nikon). I'll have to reconsider.
    What's the nearest in a Canon to the D5300?
    I think I need to clarify. I am not recommending Canon here, just telling you what happened to my friend. :) She lost a lot of money by switching brands. Bying a DSLR is not like buying a phone. For instance, it's easy to get an idea of how Android works compared to Windows, but how does the UI work in a specific DSLR brand? I have no idea..

The closest models in terms of price should be 750D and 760D.
    Chintan Gohel likes this.
    07-04-2016 04:37 AM
    I think I need to clarify. I am not recommending Canon here, just telling you what happened to my friend. :) She lost a lot of money by switching brands. Bying a DSLR is not like buying a phone. For instance, it's easy to get an idea of how Android works compared to Windows, but how does the UI work in a specific DSLR brand? I have no idea..

The closest models in terms of price should be 750D and 760D.
    Changing brands is not easy since the equipment is not interchangeable. I can't expect the lens for Nikon to work on the Canon

But thank you for the info
    07-04-2016 05:37 AM
    Yep, I had Canon, for many years, back to the old SLR (non-D) days. I switched about 6 years ago though, and really like my Nikon; I don't see myself going back anytime soon.
    It's just overall more consistent, probably the best word to describe it, I can rely on consistency far more than with my Canon models. Maybe not always the absolutely same quality, but close enough for me. I like the way the custom modes work on the Nikon too, a bit better.
    I've shot some with a friends' 5d (maybe 150-200), and it was PLENTY consistent, and high-quality too, but that's a whole different deal, by far, his investment in lenses alone makes my photography look a bit "silly". I'm okay with that though, I still remember developing my own film, and fooling around with stuff in the darkroom, so I think my current setup is plenty spiffy...
    I still have my best Canon lens though, it's sort of tough to part with for some reason, but I really should ditch it, and get a wide-range zoom; I could really use a lens that would push 300mm or so, taking more pics of my daughter's sports and the like.

Oh yeah, not to "rub salt", but I was taking pics of a few fireworks (on our July 4th holiday, yesterday), and my waterproof , pretty decent point-and-shoot, got eclipsed, by my daughter and my old 1020. It took far better shots in the dark, even though aperature-wise they were pretty evenly matched. That old 1020 is one great camera, inside a phone ;-]
    07-06-2016 02:40 AM

Oh yeah, not to "rub salt", but I was taking pics of a few fireworks (on our July 4th holiday, yesterday), and my waterproof , pretty decent point-and-shoot, got eclipsed, by my daughter and my old 1020. It took far better shots in the dark, even though aperature-wise they were pretty evenly matched. That old 1020 is one great camera, inside a phone ;-]
    I got some pretty decent shots of fireworks when I did it as long exposures, that was handheld too
    07-06-2016 03:16 AM
    What OS are you on? I was trying to record my kids performance a couple weeks ago and the phone stopped after about 3 mins saying it was overheating too much!! This was while on 10586.420

Sorry OP, I don't have answers for you, it's interesting question but it's not something I know much about. Maybe when I'm on vacation next week I'll take more pictures to see :)
    I don't know which build it was, but it was production release. I never had an overheating issue on my phone.
    07-08-2016 05:18 AM
    Guys, check for firmware updates, new ones have been released for the 950s - claims of better camera performance and battery management
    07-08-2016 05:26 AM
34 12