Not happy with Gorilla glass 4 (Too brittle)

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
So i'm the latest to break my phone. It slide off my bath tub onto the smooth tile surface below which was about 1.5' drop. I know perfect conditions and all, but this was a weak fall.

Sadly, I've been waiting for my dang mozo cases for over a month now. This just tells me this is one phone I should have stayed away from

JRDEMASKUS

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Sure, wait for the case you want, but in the mean time, put on a cheap case to protect your phone, or buy a protection plan.
Dropping your phone and breaking it is your fault, not the manufacturers'.

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I had a case, it didn't work well.

MS Complete wasn't an option when I purchased online.

Am I blaming MS here? I'm blaming a component they used, but not MS. I"m simply stating a fact that it's too brittle. Don't read into things. I take full responsibility. I just wish companies would focus on durability a little more than weight and thickness.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site

Am I blaming MS here? I'm blaming a component they used, but not MS. I"m simply stating a fact that it's too brittle. Don't read into things. I take full responsibility. I just wish companies would focus on durability a little more than weight and thickness.

I agree the weight and thickness are indeed bad for the durability. And I am sorry the screen broke. But if it slipped the other way would it then have landed in water?

EliteMikes

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree the weight and thickness are indeed bad for the durability. And I am sorry the screen broke. But if it slipped the other way would it then have landed in water?

No, empty thankfully. Only set it down to let it restart (couldn't pull down action center). Usually my wife is the one to trash phones. This is one of them days I wish I just went to work instead of wasting PTO for the holiday.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I might be interested in buying these with broken screens, if you're interested. Just PM me Fair warning though - the screens are expensive and hard to come by, so I can't pay too much.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

I too was unable to get Complete online, but went by the MS Store in the Mall one day and purchased Complete there.

Also, talking about "perfect conditions", within the first couple of days that I had received my 950XL, I was trying to put on a new cover that UPS had just dropped off...the cover was tight...the phone was slick...I was in my kitchen (18" Tiles). I was putting a lot of force on the phone trying to cram it into the case, at about chest high (you know where this is going), anyway the phone and case "SHOT" out of my hands, and onto the tile floor (with the added velocity)... my heart immediately went to my throat as I picked up the phone...I just could not believe it (on so many levels), but my phone didn't have a scratch on it. "Prefect Conditions" opposite side of the coin.

I'll probable step on it tonight. LOL

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm wondering what compromises in screen brightness and\or vividness have to be made to manufacture a "tougher" screen? All kinds of flagship high end phones have to face the same obstacles.

For example, I could swear the 640 is a far more resilient phone to taking bumps and bruises. (I could be wrong, but it gets tortured by the grandkids and has been dropped many times) And obviously, that screen would be ballyhooed as awful if it were on a flagship device.

So I'm thinking the manufacturers kind of have their hands tied. They COULD give us tougher screens. But I bet they'd get hammered in the press.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Hate to admit it, but my 640 has probably been dropped more than any other phone I've ever had, and somehow, it comes through every time.

I'm wondering what compromises in screen brightness and\or vividness have to be made to manufacture a "tougher" screen? All kinds of flagship high end phones have to face the same obstacles.

For example, I could swear the 640 is a far more resilient phone to taking bumps and bruises. (I could be wrong, but it gets tortured by the grandkids and has been dropped many times) And obviously, that screen would be ballyhooed as awful if it were on a flagship device.

So I'm thinking the manufacturers kind of have their hands tied. They COULD give us tougher screens. But I bet they'd get hammered in the press.

the-scotsman

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Too brittle? You have data from technical or scientific tests to back that up?

I've dropped my 950 XL several times from a meter or so, and had no issues. it all depends which way it lands. Gorilla glass is great for scratch resistance, but if you drop your phone and it lands the wrong way, nothing will prevent cracking.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
Do you have to be the original buyer for complete, or can you go into a store and buy it for a phone you buy used?
Gordonfink,
I know that I had to let them inspect the phone before the would sell me Complete, and they entered the serial number into the computer. Now I don’t know if they entered that number to register it, or to confirm P.O.P., or both?

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site

Snakebitten,
I read were another very qualified poster (IMHO) said that the G4 glass was supposed to have more flex associated with it, and after reading it I felt a “little” less concerned that if I accidently left my phone in my back pocket and sat down, I wouldn’t crack my screen. Keep in mind, I DO NOT know if this is a fact, but I do trust the poster’s sincerity. But, I am also not going to “intentionally” put it to a test.

Gunbust3r

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
This is why you buy on a good credit card like Amex. Accidental damage purchase protection would have the money back on your card by now...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb