Windows hello issues

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
So, windows hello is quite bugged on my phone. I understand that it's beta atm, but I expect it to be in beta in terms of recognizing you, not in terms of it's broken functionality. There are the issues I'm facing:
1. It sometimes turns completely off spontaneously and I have to re-setup it from scratch. Sometimes, it happens once per week, sometimes even twice per day. And it has just happened again.
2. Sometimes, it just turns off until reboot. It doesn't even turn on that red light, however, it tells that "looking for you". Usually happens once per day or so.
3. Sometimes, it enters a somewhat "broken state" (it's quite easy to trigger it by quickly pressing the power button like ~20 times). In this state, it sometimes won't try to recognize you at all (like no.2, but if you enter pin, lock the phone and try to unlock again, it may work again). Sometimes, it will instantly (I mean, in a fraction of second, without even seeing you) tell you that it can't recognize and require pin.
4. When it tries to recognize you, it turns off flashlight. Seriously?
5. Notifications or volume controls disable windows hello until the notification bar disappears. Seriously?
This list is probably not full, just something that I've remembered of quickly. Does anyone have these problems too?
I would say that in terms of recognition it's almost a complete feature, but in terms of it's broken functionality it can't even be called beta, only maybe an alpha version :/

Last edited:

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Can't say I suffer this problem to be honest.
3. Though I haven't tried pressing the power button 20 times in a quick succession, but I can't see the need to have been doing that.
4. flashlight? are we talking about the flash light at the back of the phone or the red light at the front? If we talking about the back of the camera led light, I don't ever have it come on unless I am taking a photo. How do you get a flash light to stay on whilst the phone is locked?
5. can change volume whilst notification is open in both locked and unlocked state.

fyi: I am on 10.0.10586.29

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
3. It's just a way to quickly trigger it, hovewer, it also appears under normal use. For example, it often happens when some notification arrives, I read it and want to put the phone to sleep, so I press the power button. But at the same moment, windows hello recognizes me at last and enters this broken state. There's a chance to trigger it even by pressing power quickly 2 times in a row, 20 times just increase the success rate :).
4. But also, there's a flashlight mode that's meant to, um, make your environment a bit lighter. You can trigger it, for example, from the notification bar.
5. I'm saying that changing volume prevents windows hello from functioning. Same with notifications. I don't say that volume controls don't work when notification is opened. Edited my post to clarify this.

anon(5326758)

May 5, 2011
Visit site
I've never had Hello turn off on me like that, or have the red light not come on. I have seen it instantly say that it can't recognize me before, but I rebooted and that problem went away. I've had the XL for about six weeks and I use Hello many times a day.
It is true that when the volume bar or a notification pops up the Hello function doesn't work. I think that's because you're supposed to be reading the notification, so if it logged you in right away people would complain that they couldn't read their notifications before it just logged them in. I dismiss the notification and it proceeds to log me in.
I have seen the flashlight turn off when I powered on the phone (turn on the phone, turn on the flashlight, use the flashlight until the screen goes black), but I thought the flashlight went off because I powered the phone on, not due to Windows Hello. You'd have to disable Hello and see how it works.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
So, windows hello is quite bugged on my phone. I understand that it's beta atm, but I expect it to be in beta in terms of recognizing you, not in terms of it's broken functionality. There are the issues I'm facing:
1. It sometimes turns completely off spontaneously and I have to re-setup it from scratch. Sometimes, it happens once per week, sometimes even twice per day. And it has just happened again.
2. Sometimes, it just turns off until reboot. It doesn't even turn on that red light, however, it tells that "looking for you". Usually happens once per day or so.
3. Sometimes, it enters a somewhat "broken state" (it's quite easy to trigger it by quickly pressing the power button like ~20 times). In this state, it sometimes won't try to recognize you at all (like no.2, but if you enter pin, lock the phone and try to unlock again, it may work again). Sometimes, it will instantly (I mean, in a fraction of second, without even seeing you) tell you that it can't recognize and require pin.
4. When it tries to recognize you, it turns off flashlight. Seriously?
5. Notifications or volume controls disable windows hello until the notification bar disappears. Seriously?
This list is probably not full, just something that I've remembered of quickly. Does anyone have these problems too?
I would say that in terms of recognition it's almost a complete feature, but in terms of it's broken functionality it can't even be called beta, only maybe an alpha version :/

I had almost all these problems too, probably would have all of them if I tried this "feature" more than two days. I just disabled it instead. I agree, it is in alpha stage.

Sfairat

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
It is true that when the volume bar or a notification pops up the Hello function doesn't work. I think that's because you're supposed to be reading the notification, so if it logged you in right away people would complain that they couldn't read their notifications before it just logged them in. I dismiss the notification and it proceeds to log me in.
There's an obvious and easy way to fix it in both ways - just leave notification open after the login. Best of two worlds, easily done.
About the flashlight - it only happens with windows hello turned on.
It's a shame that all of these bugs are in the feature's implementation logic, when the recognition itself works almost perfect.

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
It's worked very well for me in the past 5 days I've had the 950 XL, latest Insider build, and latest firmware. The trick was to keep letting Windows Hello 'Improve recognition". And do many many angles from all directions. It will recognize you even from a slight angle and not just directly forward.

Go to Settings and search for "sign", the option should be 'sign-in options". Then tap "Improve recognition" under Windows Hello (Beta) section. And let it recognize you from multiple angles. I spent about 15 minutes letting it analyze my face many times from many angles. I even try holding it further away and from the sides, tops, buttom, left, right, and all in between. I focused on holding the phone where I would normally hold it when using it.

If you're still having issue, maybe do hard reset and do not opt to restore from backup. Always fresh start. And yes, it's the price you pay to be at the bleeding edge of technology.

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
It's worked very well for me in the past 5 days I've had the 950 XL, latest Insider build, and latest firmware. The trick was to keep letting Windows Hello 'Improve recognition". And do many many angles from all directions. It will recognize you even from a slight angle and not just directly forward.

Go to Settings and search for "sign", the option should be 'sign-in options". Then tap "Improve recognition" under Windows Hello (Beta) section. And let it recognize you from multiple angles. I spent about 15 minutes letting it analyze my face many times from many angles. I even try holding it further away and from the sides, tops, buttom, left, right, and all in between. I focused on holding the phone where I would normally hold it when using it.

If you're still having issue, maybe do hard reset and do not opt to restore from backup. Always fresh start. And yes, it's the price you pay to be at the bleeding edge of technology.

besides improve recognition, i recommend people train themselves on how to look at it. it is not as forgiving like surfacebook hello that use facial recognition. when u use the phone, u do not see your own eyes like during the training setup. therefore, while you do the iris recognition training, be mindful of what you are looking at, distance and angle to the phone etc. for me, i have the highest success rate by staring at the Microsoft word on the phone,

CLINTEL FERGUS

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
When windows hello does not recognize me on my lumia 950xl it prompts me to swipe up to enter a pin but when i swipe up it automatically opens pin...does anyone experience this problem, if yes do you have any suggestions.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720