What battery life cycle is normal?

hardywang

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I just received my 950XL last night. Of course I need to plug in to fully charge battery first. During the charging, I did firmware upgrade, OS upgrade (including Windows insider 0.36).

After it was charged 100% I unplugged it and further installed some apps and made setting changes. In 20 minutes or so my battery dropped to 91%. Then I stopped work on the phone and went to sleep. I got up this morning the battery as 86% - lost 5% over 8 hours of idle, which seems reasonable.

I got to office this morning at around 9am and started to use it moderately - no phone call yet, checked emails from time to time primarily, browsed handful web pages, installed 2 or 3 apps, read a bit news from news app, further changed some of my settings and so on. At this moment 3:30pm the battery is 61% remaining.

I did not disable any app in background, left Windows Hello and Glance running.

Does it sound like a battery drain?

Tonio78

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
First two or three charges run it down to about 20% and charge fully without interruption. Then it will give full capacity.

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
That's excellent compared to mine. I'm on build .63 with latest firmware, and get only 4 hours w moderate usage. If the next build doesn't fix the battery, will exchange for a new one.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Those of you who are geting only 4 or so hours, make a hard reset. And don't sign into messaging with skype account, it kills the battery.

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Never done a hard or soft reset of my phone always got good battery life loses about 15% in a day with moderate use just Bluetooth switched off I guess I was just lucky and got a good phone from Amazon

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Never done a hard or soft reset of my phone always got good battery life loses about 15% in a day with moderate use just Bluetooth switched off I guess I was just lucky and got a good phone from Amazon

15% in a day? So your battery lasts for 6 days?:))

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have had very good battery life with the latest firmware an OS build. I only had one day that the batter drained like crazy and I had to disable messaging in the background and then reenable it later. It was running hot and draining faster than it could charge in my car. Otherwise I take it off the charger at 7 am and put it back on usually well after mindnight, and I normally have 50% charge left, give or take 10%. If I play games or do a lot of surfing, it will of course drain faster, and using GPS, like any other smartphone, the battery will drain fast, so I always plug it into the car charger. That is the case for any smart phone I have used for GPS. If I do not use do not it at all, it may drain 1 or 2% per hour. My 920 or 640 would stay at 100% in the am longer than my 940XL, but I ended up getting about the same drainage by the end of the day. Actually, I may have more battery charge left at the end of the day with my 950XL. I do feel my 950Xl stays cooler than my previous phones most of the time, which is a good thing considering it is using the 810 processor.

ajayden

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
Battery life of a phone depends on various factors and one persons experience may not be the same as another. So you need to check physically on your own. If it meets your requirement of completing you day to day tasks, then it is good enough.

Below are the factors that vary :
1) Location you live in/work - Because mobile reception depends on that
2) Apps installed - You might have installed some app that is a battery hog
3) How you set up your phone initially - There are various guides on this forum. One of them is by me : (How to install WM10)
4) The heat generated from the phone - You can read about this at this link : Wikipedia (Li-ion discharge)
5) Background settings - We do not need most apps to run in the background. Only few are needed. Pls check this.

Also please share your battery usage screen here. It can clearly show how battery is being drained.

DeathMoJo

May 24, 2015
Visit site
A big factor I have noticed will be my environment as far as cell and GPS connection. At home I get 3-4 bars cell service and have no issues with GPS lock. At work, its a brick building with very little windows. My office has a window and i get LTE in it, but it switches between LTE and 4G a lot. I notice more drain at work than at home, even with days on similar usage or even more at home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750