Should I go to the Inisder Preview?

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I recently got my Lumia 950 XL (was finally available in Canada). This is my first Windows Phone. I got the phone because I am already on Microsoft ecosystem of services, including Grove Music (was with it when it used to be called Zune Music Pass), and I wanted to seek for a new experience. Having Windows 10 on my desktop and Surface Pro 2 is what helped me do the switch, as I knew what to expect, and the Universal App platform has allowed me to see that the apps I need are not only there, but also to my liking. And they were. So, yay! :D

The phone OS was really crappy out of the box. So bad, the Windows Store update and Phone update progress bars didn't even work. I had to check to my router for network activity to see if it was actually downloading, and waiting. But, once I passed this crappy experience, meaning I have now the latest firmware and officially released build, the phone has been very solid to me. Windows 10 Mobile feels, on my phone, a mature OS. In fact, it has surpassed my expectations.

So far, I had 0 problems reported by people here and on reviews, despite extensively using the phone and playing around and discovering. I used Windows Maps for GPS navigation a few times, Edge a lot, Nextgen reader, camera, outlook mail with 4 accounts (work e-mail, and personal e-mails) and more. I have to use the old Skype app, and not the built-in one, because I still have the old Skype account, and I can't figure out how to login with that, and not a Microsoft account one.

The phone only once restarted by itself, it was idle on my desk, charging, and it just rebooted. Never happened again.

Edge consumes a lot of battery, and same for the camera after taking a picture due to the post processing stage. The phone does get warm under load, which happens when playing 4K 60fps YouTube video (that was excepted with the Snapdragon 810), taking lots of pictures in a row, and well, anything that pushes the phone really. Not a deal breaker for me, because the performance seems to continuously be delivered (well except in games I tried, but those are clearly poorly ported games.. also I don't play mobile games, I just got them for testing).

Continuum via miracast works, but performance in streaming is disappointing. My Surface Pro 2 has no trouble, but the phone needs to be so close my Microsoft Wireless Adapter for proper performance delivery for video watching, that it might as well be wired. Still waiting for the free dock to arrive. Had an issue using the phone as the only input device (mouse), with a full screen YouTube video. I could not exit it, the "exit full screen" button didn't work. Also, if I leave the phone idle, say playing music with Grove, it disconnects after a few minutes. Drains the battery a lot as well.

Edge is a bit on the slow side. It doesn't help that the web browser (like on the desktop), wants to download the entire page before displaying it, while other web browsers shows a progression of the page being loaded, so you have a sense of not only speed, but that link you clicked (well tab) was registered. Here I tend to tap a few times only to notice the thin blue line next to the address bar to pass. Also, some sites I can't zoom in for some odd reasons. Sometimes it works on those sites. Strange. But aside from that, setting it to id itself as a desktop web browser, really makes my experience enjoyable when surfing the web.

So, that is in nut shell my experience with my Lumia 950 XL.

Now, my question:

So I was wondering, should I switch to the Insider Preview for an even better experience that would/should affect me?
My Surface Pro 2 is on the Insider Preview fast ring. I enjoy being on the Insider Preview as long as things are... say.. fairly stable.
Basically, in the case of my phone, I don't want it to crash during a phone call, or when I am taking pictures. Of course, nothing is guaranteed, that is all the fun with beta software.

The reason why I ask, is because I have been out of the loop on what is fixed and current issues on Windows 10 Mobile Insider builds, so I was wondering if anyone would be nice enougth, and be double cool in giving me a quick catch up summary of sorts. :)

Thanks!

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As with everyone who asks the same question (should I install insider builds?), the answer is the same - it's up to you.

To my mind, the latest build (.63) is pretty stable and I have no complaints. However, small things turn into large things for some people.

The simple solution is to give it a go and see how you feel, it's a simple matter to go back to the consumer build again.

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Right, but perhaps I should rephrase my question:
What is new or improved in the insider preview? I am truing to evaluate if it worth upgrading to. For example, is Edge better? Is battery life better? Phone calls stops working, etc.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
There's no real list of improvements. Most of the updates are internal, dealing with performance and stability, there's no major new features.

Faster, smoother, better, basically.

peashooter14

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
No, as a software developer and pretty tech savvy, I would not do it. They will screw up a release and brick your phone. You will have to factory reset it at some point. I would do it on a backup phone, but not if you need it everyday. Windows 10 is really in a Beta phase right now.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
The last four updates are extremely stable builds. I have the 950XL and rocking .63 with the latest firmware. Zero issues. Random reboots gone. Better battery life. Faster Hello. Just backup before updating. I still have my old messages from the 720, 1020, and 1520.

gsjansen

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
now that Microsoft has made it easy to get out of the insider ring, there's no reason not to install the app. after a new build comes out to the fast ring, read what people have to say, and then make the decision. Once you are on the latest build, even if a firmware update comes out, and you have to hop out of the insider program to get it, you will not be reverted to a previous build. At least that's what happened with me updating to firmware .27.

I am currently on OS .63, with firmware .27 and find it to be generally stable.....( a few bugs here and there, but nothing to detract from the overall windows 10 experience).

anguilla1980

May 1, 2008
Visit site
I have .36 with the latest firmware but can't get the latest .63 no matter what, on a US 950 XL. Hard resets, redoing insider, nothing :/

So good luck getting it to work.

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so I did the upgrade (did my backup first). I got .63.
Grove Music refused to lunched.
So I reset my phone and took no backup (it is ok, my phone still new, I have limited contacts, all is good), now everything works.

So far, I noticed that battery life is much better. I need to use it more to have a better estimate on the battery life improvement. But so far, it LOOKS like it nearly doubled. But my usage could have been different.

Thanks guys.

goodbytes

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
No, as a software developer and pretty tech savvy, I would not do it. They will screw up a release and brick your phone. You will have to factory reset it at some point. I would do it on a backup phone, but not if you need it everyday. Windows 10 is really in a Beta phase right now.
Software Developers unite! :D, Yes I am one as well.
I might switch to slow ring on my phone, the only reason why I considered fast ring on my phone is that it has been a while since that build is out, and I have not read disastrous issues, like massive increase in data consumption, or brick phones, or something like that, especially the way I see things, Windows 10 Mobile is in beta stage in any case. It's not an official release status, not in my book at least.

Dec 30, 2015
Visit site
I am running ATT L640 and had some trouble updating frm build 10856.29 but after several hard resets it's running 10856.63 just fine. As of now the only problem I haveis two updates (Motion Data and Gestures&Touch). They just won't download. I get an errorsaying it has to override and install on internal memory so I give it permission and still get the error. I even go directly to storage so it would install directly to phone memory and still no luck. Other than that I am havinga blast with Windows 10 mobile. And my wifes TMobile L635 ia on same build with no apparent issues except battery life but that has been happening since the first build and went back to 8.1 and recently went to latest 10 build.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mducros