02-21-2016 05:49 PM
51 123
tools
    I have one major problem which is stopping me recommending this to be rolled out to staff - it affects two applications (maybe three but i need to fix that to test) and is all to do with push notifications.

Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp messages take an age to get to the phones. When testing I've had Facebook Messenger on an iPhone, Web and 950XL. The messages to the Web and iPhone are instant where as to the 950XL it can take an age. If I'm lucky, after about 30 minutes, there will be a raft of notifications (like 10 if I've had 10 messages). Sometimes I don't get notifications and messages until I go back into the app.

Personally there's probably two ares to look at either the Microsoft Push Notification Sevice or the application. I blame the applications but if I was Microsoft I'd work with them to get these issues fixed as soon as possible as they are key applications and for all the good that the phone is it's little issues like this that stop companies taking these onboard.

Some of the apps are also very poor in comparison to the Android or iPhone variety.

I really want to like the phone and get people in the company excited about using it but I know what they'd say if i showed it them now.
    mdefran65 and Paul Stasik like this.
    01-26-2016 11:16 AM
    Have no major issues either! The phone and OS is really coming together. Only thing bugging me right now is edge browser! Feels like it's not as fast I'd hope. But then again I feel the same on my pc so it's not the phone anyway.
    01-26-2016 02:23 PM
    After reading through a lot of the threads here on WC it seems to me that most of the current issues are being reported by people on the Insider Preview program. I am not on the IP and really have no desire to be on it. I just don't want to deal with pre release software. I would expect that pre release builds would be buggy and be more prone to having problems. So, I'll opt for stability over being on the cutting edge. I just sat down with my wife who is a die hard iPhone user and showed her how my phone works at her request. She seemed very impressed and wondered out loud how much she could 'get for her iPhone'.

My only issue so far with the 950xl is the iris scanner. It works about 85% of the time. But I'm also aware that its still in Beta so I don't expect it to be working flawlessly. Its cool when it works and when it doesn't, entering my PIN isn't any different than what I had to do on my Icon.
    01-26-2016 03:35 PM
    I actually went on the insider program in the hope that it would fix the issues with the notifications (I'm now noticing notification lags in football update programs such as Goal Live).

I had exactly the same experience on the original one, the one i restored using the Microsoft Phone tool and the insider ones leading me to believe it's either Microsofts Notification Service or the apps not actually being designed well enough (though I've seen thousands of posts on this).

Microsoft Hello is really good. My main problem with it is that its slower than a fingerprint reader and you have to get really close to the camera. Its also slower than entering a PIN as well which makes it obsolete. I can see a use for it on a PC when you sit down it scans you but on a phone it's pretty pointless other than to show off a cool feature.
    01-26-2016 03:43 PM
    actually compared to the iPhone 6 and galaxy s6 I find the 950xl a much more pleasing device, more study, and way better screen and camera.
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-27-2016 01:41 AM
    same here, got mine late last year from Microsoft Lumia 950 XL LTE Single Sim version, no issues whatsoever
    01-27-2016 03:41 AM
    I've had mine since release and I have not had a single reboot nor hang. It works great and people are heavily exaggerating the negativity. Ask people who have had one for a while and they are genuinely impressed. It also shows on customer review pages where it keeps getting positive reviews from actual owners.
    01-27-2016 08:19 AM
    In theory battery life should not be the same as Icon. That is what tells tons about this device. It isn't what it could be and the only blame is here for its software to take. It is a quality device but when it comes to software, everything is massively let down. Surprised a software company is so good at hardware and so bad at software. But they will pull this off soon!
    01-27-2016 08:28 AM
    Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp messages take an age to get to the phones. When testing I've had Facebook Messenger on an iPhone, Web and 950XL. The messages to the Web and iPhone are instant where as to the 950XL it can take an age. If I'm lucky, after about 30 minutes, there will be a raft of notifications (like 10 if I've had 10 messages). Sometimes I don't get notifications and messages until I go back into the app.
    I dunno about facebook messenger but everything is instant for me with whatsapp.
    01-27-2016 12:29 PM
    My phone is functioning perfect, no crashes nothing, all the apps I have loaded are wonderful havn't had any problems finding all the apps I need as well.

love this phone!
    01-27-2016 03:03 PM
    Same experiences as many have reported (running insider preview). Phone runs great, no reboots, nothing, everything is nice and zippy. But the Edge Browser is SLOWWWWW. Pages should be loading a lot faster on a phone running a Snapdragon 810. I have a 640 XL running the insider preview, and it beats my 950 XL loading most web pages in Edge. Optimizations needed!!
    01-27-2016 03:13 PM
    Today is the first day I've had the 950xl with what I would consider "normal use" for me. I had some things to get done so I really didnt have time to explore features, mess with apps, play some games, etc. My normal use is a few hours of music, several phone calls resulting in about 90 talking minutes, a bunch of texts and some checking of FB and WC. My phone came off the charger at 845 AM and at 945 PM, battery is at 63%. I'm pretty happy with that.
    01-27-2016 10:02 PM
    I am extremely happy with it. And have had no major problems either. Three reboots since I got it, which was just after release. Battery life is great etc. I tend to get text messages on my band2 before my phone lol by a couple seconds. which is a HUGE improvement over 8.1 where I would get notifications sometimes 2 min. later on my band.

Just waiting on my mozo case now.
    Mr Hyde likes this.
    01-27-2016 10:47 PM
    I've been using my 950 xl for just over 2 weeks now, Bo issues or problems. I let the phon do all the updates, including app updates, and also let it do a complete full charge before using it. So far my battery has began to increase now. At first 3 days used to say 16 hours time left until dead battery, now says over 20 hours. Give the phone a chance. I'm so glad I have this phone now.
    Mr Hyde likes this.
    01-27-2016 11:03 PM
    After few weeks of usage i am OK with 950 XL. I moved from Lumia 925, which was nice device i have to say as well. My overall experience is positive, even i new this device is more or less for Microsoft fans.
    - Size is great, was surprised how light the device is
    - Together with Mozo leather cover i have device looks perfect (but weight is higher)
    - Dual sim works as expected
    - Windows 10 Mobile - used already on N925, no real issues at all.
    - Apps - well, apps i need are there, but of course big place for making situation better
    - Battery is OK
    - Windows Hello - nice feature, but not really usable, fingerprint would be better for sure

Overall, this device is definitelly not big bang, of course not. But its solid device. It just works, what else to say?
    01-28-2016 04:45 AM
    I dunno about facebook messenger but everything is instant for me with whatsapp.
    Are you on WiFi or mobile data?

It seems better on WiFi but they're not instant (have WhatsApp web open for example and compare). Messenger is awful. Live scores are awful (as I've said in another post I had a half-time alert 20 minutes after half-time). For me it's anything using push notifications.

Phone gets very hot as well - I've factory reset it, updated to .63, etc. but it still get's hot when I'm not really doing anything (two apps open - messenger and WhatsApp). So I'm not entirely sure what it's doing. The apps, especially messenger, looks like it's closing when you change apps (I get the occasional message saying that the message could not be sent as the app was closed) even though I'm not closing it.

Some of it is definitely the Apps being poorly written. I'm getting more and more convinced that there's an issue with the Microsoft Push Notification Service as well.
    01-28-2016 05:20 AM
    Had my 950XL since it was released in the UK in middle of Dec. Loving every aspect of it. Soon after receiving it I dropped and broke the main camera glass and camera. Bought genuine replacements and replaced them myself..to great results.. was actually really easy to tear down the phone and put it all back together again.

Every now and again I notice the phone restart itself, which is weird. Otherwise extremely stable and solid performer. As a heavy power user I would like the battery to last a bit longer but so far have managed to get through a working day without having to recharge.
    01-28-2016 08:12 AM
    I don't dare let the battery on the 950 get low, I charge it every night, while I sleep. When I got
    the phone, the battery was almost all used, it got VERY hot while charging, I kept it on the
    kitchen counter, so I wasn't worried about a fire. Now the phone does get warm on charging, but
    not as hot as when the battery is almost complete gone.
    I have a Nokia 520, which was my first Windows 10 test phone, and compared to the 950, it's
    still responds better then the 950, with the same build. Some times I wonder if the 950 should be
    listed as a GO phone too.
    01-28-2016 08:15 AM
    Are you on WiFi or mobile data?

It seems better on WiFi but they're not instant (have WhatsApp web open for example and compare). Messenger is awful. Live scores are awful (as I've said in another post I had a half-time alert 20 minutes after half-time). For me it's anything using push notifications.
    I'm on both mobile and wifi depending where I'm at. At home usually wifi and laptop wired, at work wired to work network, phone on data. I love whatsapp web. Not once did I feel like it was not coming together fast enough. Like a 1 or 2 second delay is not anything I'm worried about. Infact it's almost embarrassing when a lot of chatter is going on cause I get notification sound on my laptop and notification sound on my phone and it gets crazy :)

Gmail pushes onto desktop and phone the same time or split second apart. IMAP accounts too and outlook exchange.

I am pissed off about Alphajax because they need to fix those notifications! From my 920, it was perfect, sound and live tile... 930, I lost the toast notification but had live tile. Now onto my 950xl, NOTHING. So weird thought, my wife 625 had nothing as well but when I moved her onto my 930, she started getting live tile notifications.

I use app NHL Scores & Alerts and get notifications for score changes about 30s-1 min after the actual event happens but that's more on when the feed gets updated to push out the notification.
    01-28-2016 12:35 PM
    That's really odd. I'd be happy within a minute or so.

What happens on mine is absolutely nothing. Then all hell breaks loose on my phone with the notification app going mental trying to catch up with all of the missed notifications. We're talking around 30 minutes (not seconds) after the message at least.

Messenger is far worse. It also gets a lot worse on a 4G connection. On WiFi it's about 5-10 minutes apart on 4G it's around 30+ minutes.

If they fixed that then I'd be happy with the phone to be honest.
    01-28-2016 02:38 PM
    That's really odd. I'd be happy within a minute or so.

What happens on mine is absolutely nothing. Then all hell breaks loose on my phone with the notification app going mental trying to catch up with all of the missed notifications. We're talking around 30 minutes (not seconds) after the message at least.

Messenger is far worse. It also gets a lot worse on a 4G connection. On WiFi it's about 5-10 minutes apart on 4G it's around 30+ minutes.

If they fixed that then I'd be happy with the phone to be honest.
    My notification experience is pretty good. Since I'm still evaluating the 950xl I still have my Lumia Icon active (Icon on Verizon and 950 on T-Mobile). I carry them both everywhere I go and when I'm home they both sit right next to each other. I get notifications for breaking news, emails, facebook, and FB messenger. both phones get the notifications at the same time. If I have FB open on my PC, its rather comical hearing all the notification tones popping up at nearly the same time on every device. My wife on the other hand finds it quite annoying. I am not running the Insider Preview, just the latest firmware and release software.
    01-28-2016 02:59 PM
    Odd. Again are you predominently on wireless?

Strange that it's working for some and not for others. Can I ask what version you're on? Is there also anyway to just stay at one version - once I did the restore with Windows Phone Utility it then proceeded to download an update almost immediately afterwards.
    01-28-2016 04:04 PM
    That's great but sucks that you won't get Band 12 support WiFi calling virtual voicemail and other little swifty T-Mobile features.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL
    01-28-2016 05:06 PM
    Odd. Again are you predominently on wireless?

Strange that it's working for some and not for others. Can I ask what version you're on? Is there also anyway to just stay at one version - once I did the restore with Windows Phone Utility it then proceeded to download an update almost immediately afterwards.
    I'd estimate that I'm on wifi about 65 to 70% of the time. But I don't notice a difference with notifications between wifi and wireless.
    I'm using the latest release build (not the insider preview).
    01-29-2016 12:17 AM
    That's great but sucks that you won't get Band 12 support WiFi calling virtual voicemail and other little swifty T-Mobile features.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android on my Lumia 950 XL
    True but I didn't have those on Verizon so I guess I don't miss what I didn't have
    01-29-2016 12:21 AM
51 123