Hi guys, not sure if this question has already been asked on a different thread ,but I get my 950xl tomorrow and was wondering if their is any initial prep I need to do before I use it. I know about making sure all recent updates are installed etc but I'm sure I read somewhere about doing a hard reset before hand?? Also, how is it performing now with regards to battery drain ,stability etc?? Thanks in advance for your help!!!! โ˜บ
    01-25-2016 03:44 PM
    Battery performance I'd almost perfect with the latest insider build. The latest general release build had decent battery life as well. No hard reset necessary. However, I recommend that you don't restore from a previous back up. I found things worked better starting fresh.
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-25-2016 03:50 PM
    Hi Rob,

Do you already have a Windows Phone? If so, just make sure that your current phone is already backed up, and all of your apps, pictures and text messages will transfer over to your new phone.

If you don't have a WP device, make sure that you have a Microsoft account (a @hotmail, @live, or @outlook email address), and sign in with that email address when you sign into the phone.

Upon signing in with your Microsoft account, your phone will update the apps that are already on the phone, and download any that are attached to your account. Go into settings, and search for Updates to update the OS on the phone.
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-25-2016 04:04 PM
    Hi. Currently got a 640xl running windows 10 insider. Runs like a dream and am hoping that it does on the 950xl too. Currently using a 32gig micro SD and read somewhere about sd cards causing problems issues with battery drain and issues affecting stability. Is this still the case???
    01-25-2016 04:09 PM
    Hi guys, not sure if this question has already been asked on a different thread ,but I get my 950xl tomorrow and was wondering if their is any initial prep I need to do before I use it. I know about making sure all recent updates are installed etc but I'm sure I read somewhere about doing a hard reset before hand?? Also, how is it performing now with regards to battery drain ,stability etc?? Thanks in advance for your help!!!! โ˜บ
    Hi Rob.
    Hope you enjoy your Lumia when it arrives.
    Well personally you should do these things,

1-update your phone as a new OS and firmware update will be available to you.

2- DO NOT RESTORE FROM OLD BACKUP as some ppl say that not restoring does help in performance but then again, you experience may vary.

3- the memory card issue was fixed in the latest firmware update and in regarding the battery life, must make sure you disable Edge in the background and close its each tab when not in use. It's a very resource hungry app and it does affect battery life alot.

4- Some ppl have recommended that hard reset does solve some problems but then again, you experience may vary. I will recommend you do a hard reset the moment you setup your phone and install updates.

That's the best I think you need to prepare. :D
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-25-2016 04:25 PM
    To add to this....

When you first get your phone, you do not have to insert your SIM nor SD card immediately. The process may take many hours (4hrs??) depending on speed of your internet.

1) Set it up as a NEW phone, do not restore from backup

2) While it's setting up, download and install Windows Phone Recovery Tool onto your computer, assuming it's a Windows 10 computer hopefully.

3) Use the Recovery Tool and restore the phone to factory again, this will ensure you have the latest normal Windows Mobile OS and possibly update the firmware as well

4) Set up the phone as NEW again, do not restore from backup. Check for any and all updates. If you want Insider builds, get the Windows Insider app and run it, let it update your OS to Insider builds. Reboot and do all updates.

5) Power off your new phone and insert your SIM and SD cards. Chances, are your apps stored on your SD cards will not work. You'll need to sign into your MS Store MSA and download all your apps again. If you store offline maps on the SD card, it will work once you set it to download offline maps to SD card. It will ask you several times that your SD card has apps that may not work and to let it try to 'fix' the issue. Just go ahead and let it resolve the conflicts. Download your apps again to either the SD card or directly to the phone.
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-25-2016 07:06 PM
    Thank you all for the advice. Got my 950xl today and it is working like a dream!!! The only issue seems to be excessive battery drain but I guess that will improve in time. The eye scanner is an amazing piece of kit (who needs a stupid finger print scanner anyway!!!) very impressed with the phone so far!
    Ariman Amin likes this.
    01-28-2016 05:33 PM
    It takes a day or two to settle - lots of setup stuff going on in the background. Battery will be better.

Congrats, BTW - great phone.
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-28-2016 07:42 PM
    I don't even know why I'm happy when you're happy with your new 950xl ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ ๐Ÿ˜‚ hoping that battery problem will soon get fixed...
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-28-2016 10:51 PM
    Once my 950 xl was done installing the latest firmware and release build I downloaded one app that I use quite a bit. The download seemed to be pending longer than I expected so I checked and it was queued to download as the phone was already in the process of updating 48 other apps. I suspect that those updates and me constantly playing with my new toy was the reason for my poor battery life for the first day or so. Now that I'm using the phone 'normally', the battery life is very good. I use the phone what I'd consider a moderate amount and I have more than enough battery to get me through the day
    Rob Reynolds likes this.
    01-28-2016 11:03 PM
    as some people pointed out: don't restore from backups which are generated in other phones.
    01-29-2016 12:42 AM