Real reasons for purchasing the Lumia 950/XL?

Maxwell Fong

May 4, 2014
Visit site
To be really honest I bought the Lumia 950 just because I promised myself to buy the first flagship phone carrying W10M lol. I have owned the Lumia 800 and 925 before. Then I switched for an iPhone handed down from a cousin because my 925 was bricked.

But after using the 950 for about a month, I can say that W10M itself is really good. The UI is nice and much cleaner, navigation is much easier, and Windows Hello is pretty impressive and useful. The biggest advantage of all though is really the unified experience across all Windows platforms. I own a SP3 and Band 2, and they sync beautifully between each other. I can access my files, music and photos easily from my phone. All my favorite websites and reading list show up on my phone. Yes OneDrive, Office, Groove Music and Cortana is available on iOS and Android, but since they are not built-in the OS, the process is much more slower. You have to wait for the app to startup and fetch each file individually. Missed calls and camera roll show up on my SP3. Alarms on my Lumia syncs with my Band 2, music control is very fluent, and Cortana just works amazingly on my Band 2. So yeah, the whole Windows experience is really breathtaking.

However here's the worst part: the apps. Mail app just sucks. No focused inbox and no correct email formatting. I'd rather check my Outlook on Edge. Maps is really dumb when it comes to public transit options. It recommends you to make unnecessary interchanges, and it lacks departure/arrival time options. Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Foursquare, Tumblr, WhatsApp, WeChat, LINE and many more apps are still stuck in WP8 era. And I'm a huge YouTube and Snapchat user. And Sway from Microsoft Office is not even available on Microsoft phones. So to compensate for that, I still carry my iPhone 4S around. Also myTube and 6tag are really good substitutes. There are some good official and native apps, like Weather, Calendar, Facebook, Duolingo, Zomato, etc, but unfortunately they only make up a minority of the Store.

So if you really want to enjoy the Windows experience, I would definitely recommend the Lumia 950/950XL, but don't throw away your old phone just yet. And for those who have never used a Windows Phone, don't do it just yet. Wait until the apps get better.

P.S. Groove Music is actually really good. You can stream music directly from your OneDrive, and with the Pass it easily wins over Apple Music and Spotify. However because it streams in full-quality, it will use up a lot of your cellular data.

MirthRock

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm the first to admit, I'm a bit of a ******, but I bought it because I really buy into the vision Continuum. I've been using it for a bit now, and its a game changer if they can get it right. The idea of carrying one device with access to everything and the ability put that device on any monitor screen and have it act as a computer is fascinating. Don't get me wrong...it needs A LOT of work. But, I'm buying in at the ground floor in hopes that they can pull it off.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm a .NET developer by trade so I figured that it made sense to get a Windows Phone and leverage the skills I already had to develop for mobile on that platform.

That's nice, and I understand that now since the core is the same, you would have more reference points for development on the platform. That's good to know :)

iyae

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi sorry but most of you might not like this question. However with all the reports of bugs on the Lumias 950/XL and Windows 10 Mobile in general, it seems to me all those who bought these phones, did specifically so they could get some bragging rights in the community of Windows Mobile enthusiasts, on this and other similar sites. So I urge you to ask yourselves, and also let me know in the process, why did you really buy the new Lumia 950/XL?
a) Is it because the platform and device are helping you achieve everything you want from your mobile device, in a way no other platform can, and how?
b) Were you suckered into buying something new and shiny because you are a part of this community and thought that was the in-thing to do, and if so do you regret it?
c) Bragging rights, and if so, how is it helping you achieve them?
d) Any other reason.
I have an android phone currently (Nexus 6P), however I miss my older Windows Phone (8.1) and want to get a perspective here before I jump ship, hence only serious answers please.

if you want serious answers, maybe you shouldn't have filled your post with loaded questions? This wasn't a serious post. You clearly have no ability to see outside of your narrow hatred for the devices. Go away.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I am enthralled with the way Cortana is so well integrated with Bluetooth headsets and wired earbuds. It enables vastly safer driving and vastly increased productivity, not just while driving, but any time one wants to have their hands free to do other work around the house/office/yard. Apparently it's just me, but I really can't believe that MSFT (as well as all WP/W10M reviewers, as well as these Windows-centric websites) never even mention Cortana's amazing capabilities that let me hear texts and dictate replies while driving, never touching or even glancing at the phone, allows me to safely dictate emails while driving, bring up traffic conditions webpages without ever touching the phone, and of course the expected capability to set reminders, etc. via voice commands.

I wish I could share the same experience. Unfortunately, Cortana is not available in my country, and I'm sure it isn't for a lot of users of this website. Hence I believe people refrain from mentioning it around too much, just so it doesn't anger others.

Though now that you mention it, I remember this was also one of the reasons why W10M on my Lumia 520 bugged me so much. For all the 'Cortana this, Cortana that' which I read on Windows Central, Winbeta and similar sites, I could never really try it on my phone. On first boot, my phone would give me Australia as the default region (I live in NZ, but my phone has Australian firmware). If I chose US at that point, it would restart, but then start showing me some weird combination of English UK and English US under the language setting. If I did not choose US and stuck with Australia, it would not let me download the US language pack later.

Because of these issues, I could never really experience Cortana as that service was intended to be. The couple of times it did work, it was super laggy and buggy, and slowed the phone so much that it would go to sleep a couple of times before even registering touch input. Also since I was determined to use it as my daily driver, I would always login with my primary Microsoft account to sync emails and contacts onto my phone (what else is the point of the Insider Program otherwise). Those few times when my phone language and phone region could set to US, it would start glitching out, showing random error messages. This, I later diagnosed, was happening because the region on my Microsoft account is NZ, which was creating conflict with my phone's region settings of US. So much so, that my PC started lagging and behaving when I logged into my MS account there. At those times, I would roll back to WP8.1 on my Lumia, leave the regional and language settings at default, then login to my MS account on my phone, and wait for another update to iron out the bugs.

With my new Nexus 6P, somehow everything works very well. My Google phone has no issues with my Microsoft account being there too, and they work hand-in-glove. My contacts sync between the two platforms automatically, I have an Outlook app for all my emails (Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo), MS Office apps are set as default for my work files, and OneDrive syncs my photos and documents promptly and without any issues. I get to use the services that I really prefer, and yet get access to my official banking, social and professional apps as and when I need them. I haven't faced any explicit need to use Google's alternatives for these services, and doubt I will in future. Save for a voice assistant, Google Now, which is not as feature packed as Cortana. But more importantly, it is available, and I have learnt to like it.

Having said that, I don't feel Cortana is really essential to the overall Windows 10 experience. I mean my PC is up to date with the latest RTM build of Win10, and even though I don't have Cortana on it, I still love it. But as far as phones and mobility go, I feel voice assistants are more crucial than ever before, and MS is missing a huge opportunity by not making Cortana available to more countries. Even the Cortana app for Android shows unavailable for my region, so I am out of luck on all fronts.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
if you want serious answers, maybe you shouldn't have filled your post with loaded questions? This wasn't a serious post. You clearly have no ability to see outside of your narrow hatred for the devices. Go away.

Thank you very much for sharing. I understand your pain. The questions are there simply to nudge people in the right direction. Either they will talk against the questions, or they will talk for them. But in the end, people will always give honest answers. And more importantly, they will share their experience with everyone else. At the end of the day, that is exactly what these forums are for, so people can share their experiences and help others in the process. Do not go dissing everyone my friend, you will eventually distance all those around you. Learn to love and include, and then see the community build and grow with you.

And of course if you do not agree with any of the first three questions, there's always question 4. Cheers!

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
To be really honest I bought the Lumia 950 just because I promised myself to buy the first flagship phone carrying W10M lol. I have owned the Lumia 800 and 925 before. Then I switched for an iPhone handed down from a cousin because my 925 was bricked.

But after using the 950 for about a month, I can say that W10M itself is really good. The UI is nice and much cleaner, navigation is much easier, and Windows Hello is pretty impressive and useful. The biggest advantage of all though is really the unified experience across all Windows platforms. I own a SP3 and Band 2, and they sync beautifully between each other. I can access my files, music and photos easily from my phone. All my favorite websites and reading list show up on my phone. Yes OneDrive, Office, Groove Music and Cortana is available on iOS and Android, but since they are not built-in the OS, the process is much more slower. You have to wait for the app to startup and fetch each file individually. Missed calls and camera roll show up on my SP3. Alarms on my Lumia syncs with my Band 2, music control is very fluent, and Cortana just works amazingly on my Band 2. So yeah, the whole Windows experience is really breathtaking.

However here's the worst part: the apps. Mail app just sucks. No focused inbox and no correct email formatting. I'd rather check my Outlook on Edge. Maps is really dumb when it comes to public transit options. It recommends you to make unnecessary interchanges, and it lacks departure/arrival time options. Instagram, Facebook Messenger, Dropbox, Wunderlist, Foursquare, Tumblr, WhatsApp, WeChat, LINE and many more apps are still stuck in WP8 era. And I'm a huge YouTube and Snapchat user. And Sway from Microsoft Office is not even available on Microsoft phones. So to compensate for that, I still carry my iPhone 4S around. Also myTube and 6tag are really good substitutes. There are some good official and native apps, like Weather, Calendar, Facebook, Duolingo, Zomato, etc, but unfortunately they only make up a minority of the Store.

So if you really want to enjoy the Windows experience, I would definitely recommend the Lumia 950/950XL, but don't throw away your old phone just yet. And for those who have never used a Windows Phone, don't do it just yet. Wait until the apps get better.

P.S. Groove Music is actually really good. You can stream music directly from your OneDrive, and with the Pass it easily wins over Apple Music and Spotify. However because it streams in full-quality, it will use up a lot of your cellular data.

Thank you for showing me both sides of the same coin Your answer is appreciated and duly noted :smile:

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Sorry, but the pretext of the OP is so far off base, this thread deserves no responses.

It managed to get yours however. Like it did with so many other wonderful people, who I'm grateful have taken the valuable time out of their day to share their stories.

Like the one who uses it for .NET development. Or the one that was genuinely surprised to find everyone in their party was using a Windows Phone. Or the few who wanted a new flagship phone but were adamant not to jump platforms! Or the husband and wife who both use the new Lumias, and have another common interest that they share in their lives among many others. There are so many good stories here, and I'm hoping even more would come.

I don't like running behind shiny new toys. However what Microsoft is doing has got my sincere attention. So I'm trying to find a few stories that I can personally relate to, so that when I jump ship back to Windows Mobile, I can do so with other people's positive experiences backing my decision. And also when I do end up on the other side (your side), I get to make and share my own, similar success stories, or my 'bragging rights' if you will.

So if that is not the only thing you had to share, and if you have already purchased one of the new high-end Lumias, I would really like to know why, and how you your experience has been so far.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
>>>>> FIRST, in my opinion Windows Phone/Windows 10 Mobile is for people who just want to get the job done and move on to the next task
Well that's the problem, you can't get the job done with it, it's way too buggy. Want to put and sdcard in it, it reboots or works like an old droid, watch a movie and you get artifacts in it, apps crash or lack features, alarms work when the phone wants, quiet hours either does not kick in or out when in auto mode....and so on...many more.

Millertime_1985

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
I bought (upgraded to) my Lumia 950 during mid December... had a few minor issues like freezing and rebooting itself randomly... the biggest issue to me was the lack of Here Drive.... since the recent updates, I'm pleased to say I have had next to no problems.

I bought the 950 as i was impressed by the Windows 10 OS, brand loyalty, Office pre installed on the device, keeping all my devices within the same eco system.... any then, simply because WP is a betterOS in my opinion than iOS and Android (lets forget about Blackberry)... and have tried/used both OS' at some point in the last 9 years. WP is simply much easier to navigate, and set up/use than either of those.

Sure i would have prefered a 1050 type device, to the 950.... but the 950s camera is fantastic.
As for people who moan about the lack of apps on WP... I have no need for millions of apps... i can happily function using 'Edge' to do anything an iOS user would do in an app. Plus, the 950s battery will easilly outlast my brothers iPhone 6s

Long live WP

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I bought (upgraded to) my Lumia 950 during mid December... had a few minor issues like freezing and rebooting itself randomly... the biggest issue to me was the lack of Here Drive.... since the recent updates, I'm pleased to say I have had next to no problems.

I bought the 950 as i was impressed by the Windows 10 OS, brand loyalty, Office pre installed on the device, keeping all my devices within the same eco system.... any then, simply because WP is a betterOS in my opinion than iOS and Android (lets forget about Blackberry)... and have tried/used both OS' at some point in the last 9 years. WP is simply much easier to navigate, and set up/use than either of those.

Sure i would have prefered a 1050 type device, to the 950.... but the 950s camera is fantastic.
As for people who moan about the lack of apps on WP... I have no need for millions of apps... i can happily function using 'Edge' to do anything an iOS user would do in an app. Plus, the 950s battery will easilly outlast my brothers iPhone 6s

Long live WP

Well for me at least, Edge was a headache, nothing close to a fully working and stable browser and it cannot replace a good app. anyone can find dozens of apps on ios or android that cand do better than you on edge, so this statement is out of reality really...

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I have multiple Windows phones, I have 2 Insider windows 10 phones ( Nokia 520 and the 950 XL) I also have a BLU WIN HD LTE, running Windows 8.1. Right now I feel the 950 phone isn't
working well enough to be my main phone. I swap the SIM card between the Nokia 520 and
the BLU phone, but NOT the 950, since it takes a different size SIM. If I go to AT&T and get the
SIM for the 950, and a problem exist, I have to go to AT&T to activate the other SIM for the other
phones.
The Nokia in ways is better then the 950 in a lot of ways, texting for one, and opening apps is
better with the 520. The 950 has a better camera and has the ability to connect to the PC, and
the use of a exterior keyboard with mouse.
When people buy a phone, they want it to work good out of the box, I read in Windows Central
people have returned their 950 for another phone, others have problems with heat, I did too.
Others had to reset their phone to default, then rebuild, which shouldn't happen.

Panzer105

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
In reply to your questions.
A) It's a cell phone, I can make calls, create and edit office docs, email, surf the web, watch video take pictures and video, edit them and post them so it does the same things than ALL other platforms do.
B) Wow way loaded question, Windows Central had no effect on my purchase decision. I had a Lumia 920 and had been part of the insider program and was running Win 10 mobile on the 920, I wanted a new phone with wireless charging and the 950 was it. If I was worried about what the "in-thing" to do was I'd be using an Apple Iphone 6s, no I don't regret my purchase.
C) Bragging Rights, really, like I said if I wanted to be a lemming I's have an Apple. I really don't care what phone others use. If you don't like Microsoft, get an Android or IPhone, If you don't like Apple Get and Android or Windows phone, If you don't like Alphabet get an IPhone or Windows phone.
D)I've had Android phones and used Iphones, NO SOFTWARE IS PERFECT, every release of Android and iOS have had bugs, just like Windows Phone 8 had bugs and it took the 8.1 release for Windows Phone 8 to really become a solid platform. Is Windows 10 Mobile perfect, not yet... BUT it will get better.

txo

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
Apart from all the reasons above. I'm developer and I believe in universal apps. I need something to test apps even in continuum.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786