Real reasons for purchasing the Lumia 950/XL?

murtaza_p

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
there is something about windows that just gets me back no matter how many times I jump the ship, while I have two sims for work and personal I previously had the 1020 for which I loved the camera but I knew the old hardware and its poor battery back up was gonna be a big limitation for w10 hence sold it and got the LG G4 dual sim variant however both sims running LTE I was becoming a wall hugger hence was under the decision to pick up another handset and somehow even after trying out another android and several other blackberries I landed up buying an L830 for which I sold it again and got the L1520 for which I don't regret one bit . there is just something about the platform that just draws you back no matter how much you wish to leave , now I cant speak for the new L950/950XL but I did not hesitate before picking up the L1520. Till Microsoft cant make a better (looking) phone than the 1520 its a keeper .

amcluesent

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I got a Lumia 930 off Ebay as i) I was fed up with weak reception on my 4s and 2) Apple killed the 4s performance with the iOS upgrade. Liked the 930 running W10 preview since it became available.

Upgraded from 930 to 950 instead of an iPhone 6 because -

- Prefer W10 (I have iPad Gen 3 on iOS 9.x BTW)
- Value for money compared to Apple
- Expandable SD-card
- Plays FLAC files up to 24/192
- Integrates Cortana on the Windows 10 desktop (i.e. missed calls, txting)
- Has all the apps I need
- Excellent camera
- Integration with OneDrive (I have 1Tb with Office 365 home subs)
- Hate iTunes bloatware on Windows
- Fast charge
- I look the look of it (although I did add a Mozo case)

I've never experienced any of the problems with the 930 or 950 that some people 'seem' to have ad nauseum and report on this site. Just saying.

Last edited:

Mike Bourbon

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
Because I am fighting the term "Device Agnostic" as it is inherently stupid. I am "Device Specific". The easiest way for me to be "device specific" is to go all windows. My home has 2 XB1's, 2 Desktops running WIndows 10, 1 laptop running WIndows 10, 1 surface pro 3 running WIndows 10, 2 Surface RT's, 1 MS Home Server 2011 and 2 MS Bands (plus 2 ZUNE HD's that we don't use anymore).

I stick with MS because device specificity allows for expanded connectivity and enhanced usability. It's been my experience that mixing and matching O/S's involves compromise somewhere. It would be the same if I went all Apple - they would just work better if all the products were Apple based.

THe 950XL was their newest flagship and I needed to replace my 1020 (Broken Screen). SO I purchased the best phone MS had at the time, but it would have been a windows phone regardless......

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
B) Wow way loaded question, Windows Central had no effect on my purchase decision. I had a Lumia 920 and had been part of the insider program and was running Win 10 mobile on the 920, I wanted a new phone with wireless charging and the 950 was it. If I was worried about what the "in-thing" to do was I'd be using an Apple Iphone 6s, no I don't regret my purchase.
C) Bragging Rights, really, like I said if I wanted to be a lemming I's have an Apple. I really don't care what phone others use. If you don't like Microsoft, get an Android or IPhone, If you don't like Apple Get and Android or Windows phone, If you don't like Alphabet get an IPhone or Windows phone.

Lol I agree a lot of people find these two questions loaded. But what I really meant to ask was the motivation behind the purchase in a simple yes and no type question, which didn't come out so well.
By bragging rights, I don't mean that in a negative way. I brag about something I'm proud of. Just wanted to understand what is making people proud of their phones. I'll try and edit the original question so as not to change it completely, but make it closer to what I intended. Cheers :D

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Last edited:

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
I stick with MS because device specificity allows for expanded connectivity and enhanced usability. It's been my experience that mixing and matching O/S's involves compromise somewhere. It would be the same if I went all Apple - they would just work better if all the products were Apple based.

Yes so true. Device agnosticism is over rated. These companies are making products in all categories, not only to keep people on their ecosystem, but also to make their lives easier. It definitely does yours, which is great!

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I got my 16 year old son the phone he wanted for Xmas. Believe or not, he wanted the 950. Why? He wanted a more 'grown up' phone and OS, unlike his fashionista lemming friends. His words, not mine. He loves it! In from school, plug it into tv, keyboard, mouse and viola. Homework done, time for surfing.

He doesn't like iPhone. Afraid it would snap and the icons look like a kid with a crayon did them (lol). He does like android, especially Samsung, but the Knox system invalidated any warranty, if you loaded a rom that was custom and debloated, with root. Plus, the longer you own a droid, the slower it gets.

How many teenagers do you guys know with a 950! I even gave my upgrade up so he could have it. Me? I love my old 1320 and 930. Both good devices, even with the lower spec on the 1320. Still outperforms a galaxy s5!!!! Unbelievable!!!

thinkitthrough

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could share the same experience. Unfortunately, Cortana is not available in my country, and I'm sure it isn't for a lot of users of this website. Hence I believe people refrain from mentioning it around too much, just so it doesn't anger others.

Though now that you mention it, I remember this was also one of the reasons why W10M on my Lumia 520 bugged me so much. For all the 'Cortana this, Cortana that' which I read on Windows Central, Winbeta and similar sites, I could never really try it on my phone. On first boot, my phone would give me Australia as the default region (I live in NZ, but my phone has Australian firmware). If I chose US at that point, it would restart, but then start showing me some weird combination of English UK and English US under the language setting. If I did not choose US and stuck with Australia, it would not let me download the US language pack later.

Because of these issues, I could never really experience Cortana as that service was intended to be. The couple of times it did work, it was super laggy and buggy, and slowed the phone so much that it would go to sleep a couple of times before even registering touch input. Also since I was determined to use it as my daily driver, I would always login with my primary Microsoft account to sync emails and contacts onto my phone (what else is the point of the Insider Program otherwise). Those few times when my phone language and phone region could set to US, it would start glitching out, showing random error messages. This, I later diagnosed, was happening because the region on my Microsoft account is NZ, which was creating conflict with my phone's region settings of US. So much so, that my PC started lagging and behaving when I logged into my MS account there. At those times, I would roll back to WP8.1 on my Lumia, leave the regional and language settings at default, then login to my MS account on my phone, and wait for another update to iron out the bugs.

With my new Nexus 6P, somehow everything works very well. My Google phone has no issues with my Microsoft account being there too, and they work hand-in-glove. My contacts sync between the two platforms automatically, I have an Outlook app for all my emails (Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo), MS Office apps are set as default for my work files, and OneDrive syncs my photos and documents promptly and without any issues. I get to use the services that I really prefer, and yet get access to my official banking, social and professional apps as and when I need them. I haven't faced any explicit need to use Google's alternatives for these services, and doubt I will in future. Save for a voice assistant, Google Now, which is not as feature packed as Cortana. But more importantly, it is available, and I have learnt to like it.

Having said that, I don't feel Cortana is really essential to the overall Windows 10 experience. I mean my PC is up to date with the latest RTM build of Win10, and even though I don't have Cortana on it, I still love it. But as far as phones and mobility go, I feel voice assistants are more crucial than ever before, and MS is missing a huge opportunity by not making Cortana available to more countries. Even the Cortana app for Android shows unavailable for my region, so I am out of luck on all fronts.

If you have not experienced the fully-integrated, your-home-country-specific experience of Cortana, then I fail to understand why you would make the mental leap to make the statement that "Cortana is not essential to the W10M experience".

It also sounds like you are basing much of your opinions/conclusions on fast-ring, unstable versions of W10M, on a phone that is not yet truly supported in terms of running W10M.

Although I did mention that W10M on my 950 was initially buggy, now less so with build .29, and you extoled the virtues of your Nexus 6P working well, I am compelled to point out that I came from a horribly unreliable, maddening Android 4.1 device. Compared to my old phone running Android, the initially-somewhat-buggy 950 is MASSIVELY better and more reliable than was the former, nearly-fully-mature Android 4.1 OS.

thinkitthrough

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I wish I could share the same experience. Unfortunately, Cortana is not available in my country, and I'm sure it isn't for a lot of users of this website. Hence I believe people refrain from mentioning it around too much, just so it doesn't anger others.

Though now that you mention it, I remember this was also one of the reasons why W10M on my Lumia 520 bugged me so much. For all the 'Cortana this, Cortana that' which I read on Windows Central, Winbeta and similar sites, I could never really try it on my phone. On first boot, my phone would give me Australia as the default region (I live in NZ, but my phone has Australian firmware). If I chose US at that point, it would restart, but then start showing me some weird combination of English UK and English US under the language setting. If I did not choose US and stuck with Australia, it would not let me download the US language pack later.

Because of these issues, I could never really experience Cortana as that service was intended to be. The couple of times it did work, it was super laggy and buggy, and slowed the phone so much that it would go to sleep a couple of times before even registering touch input. Also since I was determined to use it as my daily driver, I would always login with my primary Microsoft account to sync emails and contacts onto my phone (what else is the point of the Insider Program otherwise). Those few times when my phone language and phone region could set to US, it would start glitching out, showing random error messages. This, I later diagnosed, was happening because the region on my Microsoft account is NZ, which was creating conflict with my phone's region settings of US. So much so, that my PC started lagging and behaving when I logged into my MS account there. At those times, I would roll back to WP8.1 on my Lumia, leave the regional and language settings at default, then login to my MS account on my phone, and wait for another update to iron out the bugs.

With my new Nexus 6P, somehow everything works very well. My Google phone has no issues with my Microsoft account being there too, and they work hand-in-glove. My contacts sync between the two platforms automatically, I have an Outlook app for all my emails (Gmail, Outlook and Yahoo), MS Office apps are set as default for my work files, and OneDrive syncs my photos and documents promptly and without any issues. I get to use the services that I really prefer, and yet get access to my official banking, social and professional apps as and when I need them. I haven't faced any explicit need to use Google's alternatives for these services, and doubt I will in future. Save for a voice assistant, Google Now, which is not as feature packed as Cortana. But more importantly, it is available, and I have learnt to like it.

Having said that, I don't feel Cortana is really essential to the overall Windows 10 experience. I mean my PC is up to date with the latest RTM build of Win10, and even though I don't have Cortana on it, I still love it. But as far as phones and mobility go, I feel voice assistants are more crucial than ever before, and MS is missing a huge opportunity by not making Cortana available to more countries. Even the Cortana app for Android shows unavailable for my region, so I am out of luck on all fronts.

Sorry to hear that MSFT has not been able to roll out Cortana to your country. I stick by my point that MSFT did a really good job of integrating Cortana in it's mobile phones (both WP8.1 and W10M), and I wanted to make sure (a) MSFT gets credit for that, and (b) ensure that all WP/W10M users are aware of those capabilities, as I find them indispensable to driving safety as well as for my own productivity/efficiency. So, unlike you, I consider Cortana absolutely essential to the WP/W10M experience.

VermaEklavya

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Thank you folks for all your inputs. I have come to realize that until the time a service like Cortana, which has been pointed out as essential and I wholly agree, is available to me, I should not make a move to Windows Mobile. Over the course of this conversation, I realize how my current phone is just fine for me at the moment, which was also evident when I started comparing it here in the thread (kind of defeated my own purpose really). I would not be doing justice to the development of Windows Mobile if I keep comparing it even after making the switch.

The platform stays promising in my eyes and I am eagerly looking forward to whatever Microsoft is going to bring in future.

You guys have been nothing but great! Keep up the positive attitude. Microsoft needs more ambassadors like you, with all your success stories, to continue to build consumers'/enthusiasts' awareness and interest. Hopefully see you all soon on the other side!

Cheers!

tofferne

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree with you, it?s amazing and something different, the best phone ever. The 950 XL with WP 10 is amazing.

And I have more phones with WP 10, 640 XL, 930 and 1520, but it?s far away from my 950 XL, even a huge different. On these other devices it really doesn't well like on the 950 XL.
I also make WP 10 on 625, 630, 820, it?s really a slow and painful disaster. These low end devices isn?t for WP 10, never.

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Well that's the problem, you can't get the job done with it, it's way too buggy. Want to put and sdcard in it, it reboots or works like an old droid, watch a movie and you get artifacts in it, apps crash or lack features, alarms work when the phone wants, quiet hours either does not kick in or out when in auto mode....and so on...many more.

Just not true for everybody with this phone. Especially after the first set of updates to firmware & OS. Much fewer complaints.

I posted this in the comments earlier today regarding the article Jason Ward reposted:

My 950Xl does have a problem. But it isn't the one that the doom and gloom predictors claim it has. Instead, the problem is that it is ahead of its time. (Not by much though)

Admittedly, unpolished. Polish takes time. But if you smooth out those edges I am actually holding the pioneer of things to come. Especially with Continuum!

I just got back from National Headquarters for my company where I spent a few hours in a fancy technology laden conference room with senior leadership. CEO, President, Vice President.........

When it was my 15 minutes, much to everyone's shock, the 65" screen at the end of the table lit up. (Nobody at this point had used the gorgeous monitor for anything) On the screen was a Windows 10 Continuum Desktop wirelessly projecting from my phone. I was already talking about an APP that was being developed for tracking our fleet of corporate jets. They suddenly realized it was ME that was controlling the screen and I was holding something in my hand. NOT using the corporate supplied PC, keyboard, mouse.

Not sure they heard everything I had to say. (Which irritated me a bit) Instead, they all just wanted to know what did I have and how was I doing that? But the universal app (beta) WAS pure eye candy. They just stared at it, then me, then it, then me........

Microsoft knows EXACTLY what they are doing. And just like all the members in that conference room, most folks don't see it coming yet. It was simply stunning! lol

GizmoEV

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Right now I feel the 950 phone isn't
working well enough to be my main phone. I swap the SIM card between the Nokia 520 and
the BLU phone, but NOT the 950, since it takes a different size SIM. If I go to AT&T and get the
SIM for the 950, and a problem exist, I have to go to AT&T to activate the other SIM for the other
phones.

Just get a SIM for the 950 and an adapter for it to use the same SIM in the other phones. It works great that way. Just don't put the empty SIM adapter in a phone or you stand a chance of it getting stuck. I did this with a Lumia 1020 and almost couldn't get the SIM tray out after that. It took several minutes of careful work and the right thickness and width of stiff plastic.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
This 950XL is my first dual sim device.
I almost wonder if the sim in the piece of crap iPhone4 that work provides would fit. LOL
Wow I really hate that old iPhone. Talk about slow.
And the way their email works. No one better ever claim that it is better than outlook.
I use that iPhone daily for work and I sometimes want to take its protective case off and throw it off a tall commercial building and watch it shatter so MAYBE work will get me a newer one. LOL

Sometimes I have grabbed my phone (the 1520 until today when I got the 950XL) and write up my email and add attachments etc and then send it to my work iPhone which I then forward to work because I hate using the iPhone email program and overall structure. Grr!

Anyway. I got the phone because it is sort of an upgrade from the 1520 as far as modern hardware goes.
The button layout and lack of double tap suck but I will get used to that.

When I launched excel it loaded so fast I was stunned.

hingethunder

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I was an early adopter of the 950XL and sadly returned after a weekends use - there was just too many flaws and shortcomings. The last time I did that was when the iPhone 4 came out and it kept dropping signal (and that was the last time I bought an Apple device). Now that we're hearing the 950 series is likely the last Lumia flagship device to come from MS, I'm saddened to think this product range is going to leave with a whimper not a bang.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I was an early adopter of the 950XL and sadly returned after a weekends use - there was just too many flaws and shortcomings. The last time I did that was when the iPhone 4 came out and it kept dropping signal (and that was the last time I bought an Apple device). Now that we're hearing the 950 series is likely the last Lumia flagship device to come from MS, I'm saddened to think this product range is going to leave with a whimper not a bang.

considering their lack of interest towards the mobile division, it's no wonder they end the Lumia brand, so another reboot, this time with phone brand.

angusdegraosta

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I've started giving this answer: my phone's camera puts yours to shame. If anyone asks why don't you just buy a separate camera, I tell them to stop talking nonsense.

If anyone's 950 or XL gave them so many problems that they had to run to Apple or Samsung, I'm truly sorry. My alarm always works and I haven't had any major problems with my 950 in weeks.

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Just not true for everybody with this phone. Especially after the first set of updates to firmware & OS. Much fewer complaints.

I posted this in the comments earlier today regarding the article Jason Ward reposted:

My 950Xl does have a problem. But it isn't the one that the doom and gloom predictors claim it has. Instead, the problem is that it is ahead of its time. (Not by much though)

Admittedly, unpolished. Polish takes time. But if you smooth out those edges I am actually holding the pioneer of things to come. Especially with Continuum!

I just got back from National Headquarters for my company where I spent a few hours in a fancy technology laden conference room with senior leadership. CEO, President, Vice President.........

When it was my 15 minutes, much to everyone's shock, the 65" screen at the end of the table lit up. (Nobody at this point had used the gorgeous monitor for anything) On the screen was a Windows 10 Continuum Desktop wirelessly projecting from my phone. I was already talking about an APP that was being developed for tracking our fleet of corporate jets. They suddenly realized it was ME that was controlling the screen and I was holding something in my hand. NOT using the corporate supplied PC, keyboard, mouse.

Not sure they heard everything I had to say. (Which irritated me a bit) Instead, they all just wanted to know what did I have and how was I doing that? But the universal app (beta) WAS pure eye candy. They just stared at it, then me, then it, then me........

Microsoft knows EXACTLY what they are doing. And just like all the members in that conference room, most folks don't see it coming yet. It was simply stunning! lol

I hope you get a promotion. :)

Blacklizted

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

You returned it too soon. I myself am surprised to see more positive reviews than negative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro